Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Can y'all give me a list of places to hunt that you have first hand experience with? I don't have points and have never hunted Pronghorn before. Looking for next August or September. Thank you.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

BP-B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Ross Adney. www.beavertrapoutfitters.com If you can shoot you’ll get a goat. Should be able to draw with no points ( But that’s ever changing). Hunts out of Buffalo Wyoming, great little town and lots of other stuff to do when done hunting.

My daughter and her friend both got one with him last year (13 and 12 at the time) They had a blast!

Last edited by JerradPelzer; 09/25/20.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Do you want just a antelope or a hammer? DIY in Montana or Wyoming if ya just wanna kill a decent buck, New Mexico if ya want a hammer. Couple guys advertise in the classified for New Mexico, decent prices too

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JerradPelzer
Ross Adney. www.beavertrapoutfitters.com If you can shoot you’ll get a goat. Should be able to draw with no points ( But that’s ever changing). Hunts out of Buffalo Wyoming, great little town and lots of other stuff to do when done hunting.

My daughter and her friend both got one with him last year (13 and 12 at the time) They had a blast!

That looks very reasonable. Thank you.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Judman
Do you want just a antelope or a hammer? DIY in Montana or Wyoming if ya just wanna kill a decent buck, New Mexico if ya want a hammer. Couple guys advertise in the classified for New Mexico, decent prices too

Thanks Jud. I am looking into that.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
We hunted with Rockin 7 Ranch about 4 years ago and enjoyed it. Good experience and will likely go back when my son turns 12 in a couple years

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went in Texas with Sagebrush hunts last year. Going again next week. He also does hunts in New Mexico. Great outfit.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If you are looking for next year in Wyoming then buy a PP right now.
No areas are going to be guaranteed tags for 0 PP anymore. Some in the Special , expensive, draw were but we are in an extreme drought and I bet next year tags will be reduced in numbers again.
Days of counting on drawing with 0 PP are over I'm afraid.

Area 22 was 68% last year and if they reduce tags your odds will change. Special draw was 100% with 0 PP.
That's fair amount of change for a 12-14 inch buck, imo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wytex
If you are looking for next year in Wyoming then buy a PP right now.
No areas are going to be guaranteed tags for 0 PP anymore. Some in the Special , expensive, draw were but we are in an extreme drought and I bet next year tags will be reduced in numbers again.
Days of counting on drawing with 0 PP are over I'm afraid.

Area 22 was 68% last year and if they reduce tags your odds will change. Special draw was 100% with 0 PP.
That's fair amount of change for a 12-14 inch buck, imo.

+1 This was my first time in 13 years I didn't draw. The unit I've always hunted, you could buy extra tags even into the season a few years ago, now its a 1 point unit and its a tough one for access. Hoping to draw next year with 1 point??

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good info and thank you wytex and Oregonmuley. Do I have to designate a specific area that the points will be purchased for? I think I am looking at 109 for Beaver Trap Outfitters. Can my buddy and myself put in for points so we can hunt together in the same party?

Looks like Nonresident Antelope is $31 Do I have to buy a license to buy a preference point?

Last edited by Sakoluvr; 09/27/20.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Good info and thank you wytex and Oregonmuley. Do I have to designate a specific area that the points will be purchased for? Can my buddy and myself put in for points so we can hunt together in the same party?

Looks like Nonresident Antelope is $31 Do I have to buy a license to buy a preference point?

You have until 11/2 to buy a preference point so I suggest you do that. Then you will have a antelope preference point that will be used for whatever unit you apply for in 2021. You and your buddy would both want to buy a point each so you have 1 each going into next years draw. You don't need to buy a license now to buy a point, just go online before the deadline and buy your points.

"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oregonmuley
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Good info and thank you wytex and Oregonmuley. Do I have to designate a specific area that the points will be purchased for? Can my buddy and myself put in for points so we can hunt together in the same party?

You have until 11/2 to buy a preference point so I suggest you do that. Then you will have a antelope preference point that will be used for whatever unit you apply for in 2021. You and your buddy would both want to buy a point each so you have 1 each going into next years draw. You don't need to buy a license now to buy a point, just go online before the deadline and buy your points.

Thank you so much. I think I am looking at Antelope 109 for now? Private land. You have been very helpful to a non resident and I appreciate it.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I thought a guy needed a conservation stamp to buy a point? Could be wrong, as I have a limetime conservation stamp and never think about it.

In any event, OP, points are not unit specific. Buy a point, urge your buddy to do the same and then apply as a party for whatever hunt you want next year. You'll either both draw, or neither.

No need for a guide or lodge unless you need pampered. A guide could make it easy to avoid private land issues, and most of the easier to draw units have lot of that. Just something to think about.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I thought a guy needed a conservation stamp to buy a point? Could be wrong, as I have a limetime conservation stamp and never thing about it.

In any event, OP, points are not unit specific. Buy a point, urge your buddy to do the same and then apply as a party for whatever hunt you want next year. You'll either bith draw, or neither.

No need for a guide or lodge unless you need pampered. A guide could make it easy to avoid private land issues, and most of the easier to draw units have lot of that. Just something to think about.

Pretty sure you are OK to buy a point without the stamp - if I remember you only need to buy the stamp once you are successful in drawing a tag and then being in the field hunting.

In regards to unit 109, not much public land in that unit so unless you have some access to private might be a tough hunt. I believe there where leftover tags in that unit this year, I sort of looked into it since I didn't draw my usual unit but decided not to go for it. If you each have 1 point going into next years draw there are some units in that general area that would be a better choice IMHO. Look a bit south of there and you could have an enjoyable hunt and see some beautiful country!

"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I am looking for a guided hunt on private since it will be my first time Antelope hunting. I have to call the outfitter to verify the zone. Will probably not use a guide on trips after that.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
I went in Texas with Sagebrush hunts last year. Going again next week. He also does hunts in New Mexico. Great outfit.

I booked with Sagebrush in October 2017. No points needed. Straight up pay & play. It was fun. We were in Rita Blanca National Grasslands

Throttle fixes everything. If it doesn't fix the problem, it’ll end the suspense.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don’t need a conservation stamp to buy a preference point. Only need to buy the stamp when you buy your tag.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Nope, don't need a stamp to buy a point.

I've hunted with SouthFork Outfitters out of Buffalo WY twice, everyone tagged out on pronghorn quickly, last time my wife and I also had doe tags, had 4 pronghorn in the truck on day 1. Bucks were 15+ish inches. Area 23 private land.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Bob.

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

Nope, don't need a stamp to buy a point.

I've hunted with SouthFork Outfitters out of Buffalo WY twice, everyone tagged out on pronghorn quickly, last time my wife and I also had doe tags, had 4 pronghorn in the truck on day 1. Bucks were 15+ish inches. Area 23 private land.

Is this the place Bob?

https://www.lodgesofthebighorns.com/south-fork-mountain-outfitters-wyoming.php

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
666 members (1234, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 007FJ, 160user, 77 invisible), 2,689 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.