Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Here's a good article on it. Fact is, there's a billion more coins floating around now than last year at this time. The problem is that people aren't spending them with so many businesses closed. So much is being done with debit and credit cards so the coins aren't being circulated.

Why are coins hard to find during the pandemic?
The Federal Reserve has seen a significant decline of coins in circulation because people are not spending them as regularly at businesses, many of which are either temporarily closed or not accepting cash.

Coins are still plentiful. In April, the U.S. Treasury estimated more than $47.8 billion were in the market, up by more than a billion dollars compared to last year.

But in recent months, people have not been spending those coins at places like laundromats, banks, restaurants, or shops because the businesses are closed, or people are not visiting them as often as they were before the pandemic.

"The typical places where coin enters our society have slowed or even stopped the normal circulation of coin," said the Federal Reserve, which manages coin inventory, in a June statement.

Sales at restaurants, bars and gas stations dropped more than 40% in April compared with a year ago. Sales have since picked up, but some businesses — like bars — remain shuttered in certain states, while others can only operate at a limited capacity.

The Federal Reserve has encouraged banks to order only the coins they need and to make depositing coins easy for customers. One Wisconsin bank system offered its customers a $5 bonus for every $100 in coins they brought into exchange at a branch.

The program was so successful, the bank suspended it after only a week.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Money, including paper and coins are the nastiest most germ ridden thing that we handle on a day to day basis.
Maybe folks stopped using them believing that they could get the Covid 19 from handling them ???

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
On day to day, yes, but self-serve gas pump handles have to be right up there too, on a weeklly or whatever scale.

A few years back I read that every paper bill in circulation for more than a few days tested positive for cocaine.

Last edited by las; 09/27/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I wonder why the dollar coin never became popular? Have the mints quit making half dollars? Haven't seen one in circulation in years.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
The newer LaundryMatts don’t use coins anymore. You use your debit card.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
They programmed the vending machines at work to reject cash. Have to use your card.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Banks around here won't take coins unless they are rolled and they don't have a rolling machine in the bank anymore. I understand that there is a machine in one of the grocery stores that will take your coins and return cash but I think there is a 10 to 15% charge for doing it and from what Ive heard they cause a lot of problems. I'll wait until I have a good bit of change and then roll it myself. It's not worth the effort to me to roll pennies.

Harry
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hastings
I wonder why the dollar coin never became popular? Have the mints quit making half dollars? Haven't seen one in circulation in years.

The mint still makes half dollars, but they are considered NIFC after 2002 (not intended for circulation). You can still get boxes of half dollars, but most banks will only give them to people with business accounts.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
I took two half gallon mason jars full of coins to the local bank.The lady teller could not lift them.One of the tellers helped her dump them into a counting sorting machine.It took about 4 minutes a jar to count sort and wrap them.They gave me a $10.00 bonus per jar for bringing them in.Took home $480.00.

Last edited by Huntz; 09/27/20.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The last serious effort at making a $1 coin was the idiotic Susan Anthony $. I hope some genius lost his job over that one.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Not seen or heard of any shortage of any denomination coins around here yet. Wife saves dimes and she's got probably at least 20 pounds of them now.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The last serious effort at making a $1 coin was the idiotic Susan Anthony $. I hope some genius lost his job over that one.

Technically the US silver eagles are dollar coins.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And then there is this, they are trying to pass a bill to allow the mint to produce 2021 100yr anniversary morgan and peace dollars. That would be cool!

H.R.6192

Last edited by FishinHank; 09/28/20. Reason: Forgot the dang link
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Tried ta take a bunch to the bank.

They would only take rolled coins.

Old days, they would only take loose.

So, they got no coins.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Mathsr
Banks around here won't take coins unless they are rolled and they don't have a rolling machine in the bank anymore. I understand that there is a machine in one of the grocery stores that will take your coins and return cash but I think there is a 10 to 15% charge for doing it and from what Ive heard they cause a lot of problems. I'll wait until I have a good bit of change and then roll it myself. It's not worth the effort to me to roll pennies.

Our small bank won't take coins if they are rolled, they are afraid that you will short them a coin. They do have a coin machine that sorts and counts and probably rolls. I usually try to limit the amount of coins I take in at a time to $500 so that it won't tie up the equipment and people very long at a time. Otherwise you have to leave a blank deposit slip and leave the coins with them till they have someone free to count it.

I was pretty embarrassed one time when the young lady came back out from the sorting machine and handed me a couple of .22 LR and a 30 Herrett loaded cartridges that I had failed to remove from my pocket change. blush

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Huntz
I .They gave me a $10.00 bonus per jar for bringing them in.Took home $480.00.

This has been my contention from the beginning.

Supply and demand, but this time the consumer should make out.
I have pint, quart, big pickle jars, peanut cans... full of change.
Fill one, get another.

Thank the Good Lord, we haven't had need of it in years, so it sits.
Why "cash" it out and blow it.
May need it one day.

Bet their are millions of folk the same.

Offer a 10% bonus, they count.

In two weeks the banks would have every spare inch stacked with change.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Our bank says no shortage here. Will take coins as soon as get roller fixed but no hurries

We might have to be neighbors, but I don’t have to be neighborly. John Chisum
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yea you can't get anyone to take a 50.00 gold coin.

It just sucks. wink

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Yea you can't get anyone to take a 50.00 gold coin.

It just sucks. wink

I'll take 'em. I'll even give you full stated value for the old things.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a bunch of coins. Mostly for coin-op car washes. I race the clock and get the biggest bang for my 4 bucks.

Don't ask about the vacuum station. Get out of the way, I'm saving money here.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 240NMC, 67 invisible), 2,328 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,654
Posts18,455,538
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.