-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I bought a Savage Model 10 bolt rifle in 260 Rem from a relative a few years ago. It shoots good but doesn't throw the case out of the magazine when I work the bolt. It seems the ejector spring needs replaced. Does anyone have advice on whether to get just the spring or should I get a kit with other parts while I'm at it?
The You-Tube videos show me that it's not hard to replace. Just wonder if I should be replacing more than just the ejector spring.
I originally placed this in the Savage Forum but was advised to try again here.
Thanks for your replies in advance.

When you can get the last word with an echo, you may have the last word with your wife. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce
If goose was the only meat, there would be a lot more vegetarians. - Lloyd Adams, waterfowl hunter
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Savage collectors have difficulty with anything other than the 99 - that's OK.
If there are no extraction problems then I would think just the ejector spring needs replacing. Your relative could have left a snap cap, dummy, spent case or round in the chamber for an extended period of time. If this is the case you might suspect the main spring / firing pin spring. If this is not the case - you just got a weak or improperly tempered spring.
If the gun is too old for Savage to help you with the part, Brownells carries it.

Some is Good---More is Better----Too Much is Just Right
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Savage has replacement parts and will be glad to send you some. All you have to do is contact them and let them know what the issue is.. Its actually a very common issue with savage bolt action rifles. I carry bolt kits on hand to replace extractors and ejector plungers and springs when they wear out or start showing issues. About 75% of the savage bolt actions I've had, has had issues like this.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
Contact sharp shooters supply they have an inexpensive kit that really works well

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

707 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 74 invisible), 3,198 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,584
Posts18,454,243
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.