Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I just got word the North edge of the August Complex fire in Trinity County started heading West and managed to jump Ruth Lake and the Mad River and has made it into Hetten Valley.

Another fire started and blew up just West of Redding earlier today also. The last word I g ot on that one was it was already over 7000 acres.

A guy I used to work with logging got his leg and foot busted while cutting timber on a fire somewhere near Hayfork. I guess a tree rolled onto somehow or another.

I figure it's going to be a long night waiting for word on how it turns out. I still know a lot of people up there and still have relatives in that part of California.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hang tough.

LOL
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, that sucks. I'm going to have to look that up on the Inciweb site or CalFire and see just where they're burning. Lots of nice territory over that way.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Yeah, wish I was there to help out honestly.

I figure there's a pretty good chance a bunch of folks I knew growing up are going to lose their houses.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Well, that sucks. I'm going to have to look that up on the Inciweb site or CalFire and see just where they're burning. Lots of nice territory over that way.

When inciweb is busy they get behind on updates so their latest isnt always THE latest

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use it a lot, so yes, I know.

Last update for the Aug Complex was 7 hours ago.

Sometimes, if one times it correctly, you can get an update shortly after it happens. Quite often there is a morning and an evening update. I'll look again before i go to bed or when I get up.

Last edited by Valsdad; 09/27/20.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Last word I got is that it made to the floor of Hetten and also jumped over to the ridge line on the North side of it near Hetten rock. My wife has some kind of group chat going with a bunch of people she keeps in touch with.

I guess some grow houses went up in smoke on the ridge between Ruth Lake and Hetten Valley. Supposedly someone heard some explosions go off. Probably propane cylinders.

Last edited by dodgefan; 09/27/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks,

I worked in the woods to the west of there for a number of years in the 90's. If it gets into those, there'll be a whole lot more expensive redwood decks being built.

In it is contentment

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Yeah I did some logging on some private land down near Garberville back in the mid to late 90's. I hate cutting redwood, I would rather log Douglas Fir any day.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was lucky.............I did fish work.

Didn't have to get dirty, just walk miles on slippery stream beds, climbing over slippery mossy logs, getting spider webs in the face and banana slug slime in our hair, climbing through poison oak, pampas grass, and Himalaya berry to get to a sampling area, walking miles in a wet suit while snorkel surveying streams, and some other fun stuff.

But, the benefits were pretty cool, no traffic except for maybe a log truck or three, cool critters, eating lunch and feeding lunch meat from our sammiches to the Pacific Giant Salamanders, lions and tigers and bears Oh My (well, no tigers but more than one of the other two species) seeing plenty of cool fish, snorkel surveying the Mad River from way up above Blue Lake, watching summer steelhead eat small frogs (they don't eat after they enter the river, right? )

Going to make for some good hunting up there in a few years. Hard to draw a rifle tag here where I live, easy enough to get a B zone tag over that way. Might have to take a trip over in a year or so for some scouting.

In it is contentment

IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Paddlers, Leroys, Sickermores, Gayghosts, Ejps, djs' friends.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe it was John Fremont who once exclaimed in astonishment and pride that one could ride his horse at full gallop in the Forests of the Sierras.
[quote]Right now I’m seeing the mountains I grew up in, where I went to school, where I hung out, camped, backpacked, boated, cheated death, and generally formed the foundation of my character on fire, I’ve gotta say something.

This didn’t have to happen. Once upon a time, forests in California were logged, grazed, and competently managed. It wasn’t always perfect, but generally it worked.

link here

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hunted deer for a number of years in Ruth. Stayed right in Ruth as a matter of fact. Journeys End. That is a beautiful area.

Anyone remember the Travis Ranch??

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Paddlers, Leroys, Sickermores, Gayghosts, Ejps, djs' friends.

You might surprised Jag. Trinity County tended Conservative and if it wasn't for all the dope growers it would of been very conservative. Of course with a population of 13-14k they don't play much of a role in California politics.

Generally speaking when I was growing up there it was either loggers or hippy dropout types. There were quite a few ranchers too although they were small scale compared to the operations in Texas, Colorado etc.

I can only think of a handful of people who didn't own guns and hunt. The principal when I graduated was a Southern California liberal and he didn't own any that I know of.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by RAS
I hunted deer for a number of years in Ruth. Stayed right in Ruth as a matter of fact. That is a beautiful area.

I know what you mean, unfortunately they are ruled by those retards down South.

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dodgefan
Originally Posted by RAS
I hunted deer for a number of years in Ruth. Stayed right in Ruth as a matter of fact. That is a beautiful area.

I know what you mean, unfortunately they are ruled by those retards down South.

Do you know where Jones Road is? What about the Travis Ranch?

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Yeah I know about the Travis Ranch. I don't know if Craig Brown still owns it though. They take some big Blacktail off of there.
I seem to remember a place called Jones Ridge. It's been 20 years since I did any real running around up there though.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
In other words, California is on Faya.

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The most black bears I have seen in a weeks time were around that ranch.

There are monster bucks deep in the Yolla Bolly. I have hiked deep in there. Spotted a monster buck around 1200 yards away through a spotting scope but couldn’t seal the deal.

Yes, it’s Jones Ridge Road! Not Jones Road.

Last edited by RAS; 09/27/20.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Yeah there are some big bucks up in that area. One of my brothers friend killed a buck over near Kettenpom somewhere that was just under 30 inch inside spread. Not much height but still a huge buck.

Biggest one I ever saw was during the rut when I was out cutting firewood. I was glassing a big glade just North of Devils Backbone and he was out there chasing does. I'm pretty sure he was considerably larger than my biggest ever.

I saw another huge one when I was hiking in Soldier Basin one time too.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

142 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 14idaho, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 22 invisible), 1,686 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,207
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.