Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Not a large camera, one that will fit in a pocket, but take fairly good pictures.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Don't have a recommendation, but I would suggest calling Joel at CameralandNY. Have had nothing but fantastic service from them whether asking questions or purchasing scopes, binos, cameras, lenses or accessories.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
SonyRx100vii is highly recommend. Recently purchased one from CL. Pics are excellent.

laissez les bons temps rouler
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
SonyRx100vii is highly recommend. Recently purchased one from CL. Pics are excellent.

This camera might be more than you want to spend, but a woman that I work with bought one of these about a year ago.
Battue is correct, IMNSHO.

The camera is awesome -- the huge flip up screen will let you easily take pictures from ground level without lying in the dirt, of above your head and still carefully frame the shot -- or set up the camera for a selfie and then use the huge screen to get that selfie exactly the way you want it.

Here is the review that caused my work colleague to purchase this model The Sony RX100 VII is the best compact camera you can buy Sony's latest premium pocket camera does everything so well it sometimes feels unfair

CameralandNY (as recommended by ghostrider272) has it LINK HERE but sit down before you click the link. eek This is a serious camera, and that Zeiss lens with the 35mm equivalent of a 20 to 200mm zoom range (with Zeiss quality) doesn't come cheap!

As always here on the fire, we are here to be the best enablers we can be!

Wabigoon, spend some of your cattle baron money on this that you were NOT able to spend by visiting northern Ontario this year! Heh, heh... grin

John

Last edited by jpb; 09/29/20. Reason: spellin'
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Combine it with excellent video if that is important along with the ability to Bluetooth pics to your smartphone and and then directly to your home computer.

Lowlight capability is also excellent.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Not a large camera, one that will fit in a pocket, but take fairly good pictures.

Richard, I'm looking for a new one as well.

Gentlemen, what is the modern day equivalent of a Canon G15?

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
JPB, thanks, I've been chippin into that "fund" a bit! laugh

I like my Panasonic, the telephonic lens is getting balky.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Quick off the driveway, out the window, pic with the new camera...around 15 yards....didn't have time to mess around so used Auto...

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Does the Sony have the see through the lens?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

All the reviews I’ve read say that is the one to buy.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

This is the camera I recommended for my sister before her vacation as she wanted small size and good image quality.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Does the Sony have the see through the lens?

Has popup lens and flip screen....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
We have a lot of good options at a variety of price points. I am here M-f 8-6 and every other Saturday. Mention 24hour and we will do the right thing for you

Joel

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000
[email protected]
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I-phone 10

Camp is where you make it.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First, look at the sample images from the I-phone 11 Pro Max, then ask yourself if you really need to carry a digital camera also.

https://kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-11-pro-max.htm

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Comparing a cell phone to a quality point and shoot with a 1 inch sensor is like suggesting you go Deer hunting with a BB gun.

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000
[email protected]
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CameraLand
Comparing a cell phone to a quality point and shoot with a 1 inch sensor is like suggesting you go Deer hunting with a BB gun.

Have you actually looked at the sample images of the Iphone Pro Max? Compare these images with those posted on the 'fire taken with point and shoot cameras. Hardly deer hunting with a BB gun.

[Linked Image from kenrockwell.com]

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
OK, that Sony is a great camera. Sort of rich for my blood.

What's a step down in price, but still good?

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The images that were removed from my post can be found here.

https://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-11-pro-max.htm

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tell folk that my photographic philosophy these days is to capture shots that the folk with camera phones can't. Over the last few years I've seen the gap narrow considerably. With the new gen (iphone 11 ProMax and now the 12's), I was wondering how us "old skoolers" would fare...Ken Rockwell's site answered some of my questions in part. I scanned through his 11 ProMax images, and at first glance they look great. But viewing at full resolution shows the one of the most common shortcomings; resolution of full sized images. Grain and splotches abound!

Some things that the iphone does exceptionally well is capture a high amount of dynamic range. That shot with the candles on the sidewalk is great (until you view at full res - see comment above, and did you see the ghost foot in there?). I'm fairly certain it's Apples amazing processing engine doing HDR and not the optics that do this...no other way with that microscopic sensor.

One of the other areas that Apple has encroached on DSLR's is simulating a shallow depth of field. I stumbled onto the "Portrait Mode" on my 11 and was marveling at the bokeh in that image trying to figure out how I did that. It was Apples processing that mimicked the bokeh of a wide open lens. There's even an app that takes bokeh a step further.

Replace a DSLR as Rockwell and a few other pro's have opined? For me not yet. Sports and action remain the domain of the DSLR for me (more relevant question is when will mirrorless replace DSLR's there). In spite of what Rockwell claims...lowlight remains the domain of DSLR's if you care about image quality in an image larger than phone size.

Last edited by ChrisF; 10/25/20.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ChrisF
...Replace a DSLR as Rockwell and a few other pro's have opined?...

No. This is not to replace a DSLR, but to replace a compact pocket camera.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No. This is not to replace a DSLR, but to replace a compact pocket camera.

I think there's something to that. I think it's a valid statement for folks that don't care much about IQ. Posting to social media...texting to friends and family. Yup. Anything more than that, I'd rather have a point and shoot. I've seen articles ringing the death knell of P&S at the hands of Camera Phones...I'm sure they've taken hits...but we still have P&S on the market.
Has anyone priced the iPhone11 ProMax. I think they're somewhere around $1300...yes, they're not only a camera, but that's a chunk no matter how you rationalize it (it's also a cheap DSLR kit with money left over for more lenses).

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most people who want a DSLR already have one. But few want to carry one in the field when hunting or fishing is their primary endeavor. Few go anywhere without their cellphone, which often is carried for GPS/map, etc. It is times like these, where a compact or pocket camera is desired, that a good cellphone camera might also suffice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Valid points, but I would flip this statement around;
Most people who want a DSLR already have one.

...and say that it's likely that the OP already has a camera phone and is asking about a camera because he wants a camera. I fall into this category. I sometimes want a camera in the field enough that I have killed two RX100's doing that...a Mark 1 and a Mark 4.

Last edited by ChrisF; 10/26/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
...BTW, I think I prefer my Neowise shot over Rockwell's and I didn't need to shoot through a telescope...just old fashioned photographic skills;
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by ChrisF; 10/26/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Question for the OP...
Do you have a Smart Phone/Camera Phone? ...and if yes, can you share what model?

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Just a flip phone Chris. I want some "streach", 30x or so.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
OK, that Sony is a great camera. Sort of rich for my blood.

What's a step down in price, but still good?

I see two options.

1. You can get that model as a refurbished camera at considerable savings, and likely with a similar warranty.

2. You can get a brand new camera that is “nearly” the same, but is an earlier generation.

Link

For your purposes, I bet it would work just fine. It just does not have as many bells and whistles.

Cameraland may be able to help you out with either option. There are places just a click away though via your favorite search engine.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Not to take anything away from those pictures but try making an 11x14 and they will be VERY grainy and not as sharp as you see them on the forums

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000
[email protected]
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CameraLand
Not to take anything away from those pictures but try making an 11x14 and they will be VERY grainy and not as sharp as you see them on the forums

Most of the guys on this forum are taking photos to share on this site and elsewhere on the net, or for emailing to friends. They are not professional photographers who regularly make large prints, in which case of course a more professional camera setup is desired. I am not recommending that a cellphone or pocket camera replace the need for a SLR/DSLR, or even an advanced mirrorless camera, but rather I am suggesting that the best of the cellphone cameras currently available might be all a guy needs to carry in the field while hunting or fishing is his primary endeavor.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
This forum was mentioned previously....Upland Journal.....They have a yearly thread on Hunting photos....Visit and take a look at what can be done with a real camera vs a phone........They are mostly run of the mill close ups and not scenic masterpieces....The difference becomes obvious depending on your commitment to good pics....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
wabigoon,
I'm going to do now what I should have started with earlier; I'd like to ask you a few questions;
1) what do you intend to take pictures of.
2) what will you be doing with your images? ...or asked another way, how will you be viewing and sharing the photos.
3) What is your budget?
4) you mentioned "view thru the lens". Most pocket camera line up pictures on the screen at the back of the camera). A few have Eye Pieces where you look thru the small eyepiece that shows an electronic screen representation of your shot (Electronic View Finders - EVF). Older pocket cameras (film) used a view finder that wasn't always a true representation of the shot (like a scope that wasn't zeroed). View thru the lens is SLR (single lens reflex) and not available in pocket cameras to my knowledge. How important is this feature to you.

I was surprised that google turned up more than a few cameras that I think might fit your bill...including 25x and 30x. But your answers could help narrow down the search.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
pal,
I agree with much of what you say. Camera phones continue to improve and narrow the gap. Apple's engineers are doing amazing things with that tiny sensor. At the suggestion of one of the posters here, I checked out Upland Journal, and one of the shots I was sure came from "real" camera was actually shot on an iPhoneX!
I often say, the best camera is the one you have on you when you want to take a shot. Upland Journal reminded me of that. Many photo's were not photographically great...but were of things that brought a smile to my face because it captured the moment. Camera phones fill that need very often.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Chris, pictures to email, post here, pint some 8x10.

Take phots of many things, people wild life, scenery.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
wabigoon,
Here's something I found online as I was looking at the options available.
https://www.ephotozine.com/article/top-13-best-pocket-zoom-travel-zoom-cameras-2020-19720
Sadly I have no first hand experience with any (except for earlier generation RX100's.) I'd read up then call Joel.
Good luck,
Let us know what you pick up and how it fits your needs.
Chris.

Last edited by ChrisF; 10/29/20.
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thanks all!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some great advice in this thread. In addition to Ken Rockwell you could check out some Fred Miranda posts...it's a photography forum. They review gear and sell used gear...but it's a real photography forum.

Personally I carry a dslr...and lust for an f2 200mm and f2.8 300 mm and well...more ridiculously priced lenses.

But from my brief non-professional experience...

1) Do you want people to use your camera to take some pictures of you sometimes? Then use your phone or get a simple to use camera...family and friends will be clueless once you get past a point and shoot. And, any pic they take of you using your camera will be geeked up unless it's simple to use.

2) Having a camera is like concealed carry...do you have it when you need it? Bulkier products are more of a chore.

3) Are you going to shoot raw and process and crop your images in LR? Do you take 100's of pics and delete 97% of them, process 3%, discard 1% and save 1-2% to show others? Or do you want to shoot a pic and just email/text/whatsapp off a quick pic for facebook. The more complex your answer is like the more complex your camera.

4) Do you want action shots with eyes in focus? Or are you satisfied with the general blur of motion that's good enough. The sharper you want your pic frozen the more complex your camera.

5) Do you shoot in the shade or dark? The darker the shot the more 'noise' is noticed the bigger you make your pic.

6) Do you want to enlarge some pics? Then a more complex camera is the way to go.

I got into photography because I was tired of catching only my dog's tails with the canon elf. And, I am happy that I invested in some gear and time to capture family experiences of life. It's fun.

-JHC

I work in wildlife conservation. I am given many opportunities to photograph wild things I use a DSLR with a telephoto lens, when I have it in my hands... When I have decided not to carry that heavy camera I usually just have my IPhone 10x. I quit using point and shoot cameras about 10 years ago because they are to slow to focus, maybe that has changed now I don't know. I also have to say that there are many times when I do not have my big cumbersome heavy DSLR camera I mumble that I wish I did have it instead of the phone camera which could not capture the photo I was envisioning. On the other hand if I'm carrying the big camera with telephoto and I have an opportunity to photo a land scape scene I'm so glad that I have the cell phone... Really though I love taking pictures so whatever I have in my hands is good enough.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I bought a new Canon PowerShot SX620HS this year and have been very happy with it. 25X zoom, though I know you are looking for 30X. But it produces incredibly nice images. Research for best deals on bundled packages. I got mine at BuyDig.com. Then, check with Doug or Joel at Cameraland.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 01/03/21.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks Chris, well put. I'm currently in the market and changing platforms from my old Pentax, 2 of 3 Tele lenses are at least 15 years old and Sigma doesn't service them anymore (internal dust) so thinking of moving to a Nikon D7500 as I like to play with early and late light, shoot mostly landscapes, car and motorcycle shows. Don't need the fast burt's but not a bad feature to have for wildlife and mat use it more than I plan on. Seems the producers level mirrorless struggle in low light from the reviews I've read and causes me concern. Any other suggestions?

I don't want a pickle, I just wanna ride my motorcycle
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Samples from the iPhone 12 Pro.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Cell phone photos have certainly improved a lot in the last few years. I use my iPhone quite often, as I usually have it with me. But for the more specialized stuff, phones won't do it. Different tools for different needs.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And samples from a Fuji X100F.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1minute, 270wsmnutt, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,209
Posts18,466,141
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.