Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just returned from a few days at our daughter and s-i-l's cottage in the Bancroft area. Right now the colours there are brilliant. Anyone thinking of taking a trip to look at the colours should consider going immediately because things can't get much better.

How are the colours in other parts of the Province? Have things gotten close to their peak yet?

Jim

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Changing for sure Jim, but we don't get many brilliant reds etc, due to not having any hardwoods;

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Crappy cell phone pics, but you get the idea.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm driving through Cape Breton on Saturday to catch the ferry to NFLD. Should be a beautiful trip. Lots of hardwood on CB.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
We make a yearly trip on Thanksgiving weekend through the Beaver Valley up to Meaford and Thornbury just to see the colors. Usually have a nice lunch and grab a bushel of apples while we're there.

Last edited by Wannabebwana; 09/28/20.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I was driving in and around Orillia. The leaves are gorgeous. I should have stopped for a picture, but we live in amongst this, so we are lucky to see the colours every day.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
These bright yellows are what I used to be accustomed to when I hunted moose every Fall. Now that I no longer do that I only see small patches here in southern Ontario. Your pictures bring back memories.

Super Cub I wish I could join you on one last moose hunt. Especially in Nfld. where I have never hunted.

Jim

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Down here the trees don't seem to be able to get together on where they are in the color-change process. We were just wondering if the week of haze from the western fires disrupted the sunlight/length of day enough to cause some confusion on the part of some of them.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Thanks for those!! Just now the stiff North wind blew som yellow ash leaves all over.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
Super Cub I wish I could join you on one last moose hunt. Especially in Nfld. where I have never hunted.

Jim

Hey Jim .... NFLD is an awesome spot. Very high on my list of favourite places. I've been there three times thus far, work related. This will be the 1st hunt and it's fairly close for me from here. Only 6hrs to the ferry.

I wish you could come as well. As it turned out I will be going alone on this hunt as it was decided at very short notice and no one has extra cash this fall after the covid. Going hunting and shooting a moose is only the small part of the whole deal. Making memories with friends on a trip like this is what it's all about.

My brothers are at the moose camp just east of Longlac Ont. this week. I almost wish I was there with them instead but the travel restrictions would make me isolate for 14 days after returning home.

Paul

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by SuperCub
My brothers are at the moose camp just east of Longlac Ont. this week. I almost wish I was there with them instead but the travel restrictions would make me isolate for 14 days after returning home.

Paul

I used to hunt not far from there. Just south of Geraldton, off Goldfield Rd. A few moose have come out of that area.

We came up from Terrace Bay.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
As an aside, moose hunting has been a topic. If you would, talk some about how you enjoy the meat? Cooking wise that is.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Paul

I used to hunt not far from there. Just south of Geraldton, off Goldfield Rd. A few moose have come out of that area.

Wabigoon, I prefer my moose cut into quick-fry steaks. Slavyanka likes the ground burger,

Steve, I got this big fella on Wintering Lake, near Geraldton, in 2006.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Nice! We hunted north of Wintering Lake, but used to pass it on the way up from Terrace Bay. I would have to dig out my map, but we were about 3/4 of the way up from Terrace Bay to Geraldton. We used to head into town every three or four days. Stop at the Husky on Hwy 11, and shop in town. The idea for the story, Vegetables are People Too! in the 24 Hr CampFryer book came from a Restaurant - Caroline's - in Geraldton. It was a typical sparsely furnished, northern Ontario eatery, with a strange cook who used to call out to the waitress to pick up the food. "Hey, you gonna let this get cold! Come on, order up!"

The small game hunting was always top notch along there too. Grouse and rabbits were on the menu every other day.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

All 5 trees in southern Manitoba are changing colour. Missing NW Ontario. frown

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
We never went into town unless we ran out of beer, which happened if we scored early. Back in those days you only needed 3 guys for a bull tag. Last year there the five of us had 2 adult tags as my son drew an individual cow tag. We only took a bull and calf. I let the cow walk. No sense being greedy.

Grouse hunting was always great. Met a guy who drove up from Kentucky every year to work his setters on grouse.

Always found a huge patch of shaggy manes where the camp used to dump their walleye carcasses. Made for some fine soup every year, along with grouse breast.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It seems this has been a very popular area in which to hunt. Our gang hunted for many years out of Nakina where we flew into a variety of lakes north of there. Prior to that we hunted for a bunch of years when we hunted out of Armstrong, again flying north into many different camps. We were quite successful in both areas.

Super Cub I would love to join you on your Nfld. hunt. My problem is no longer money but physical ability to hold up the work on my end of the hunt. I wish you success on your hunt. I am sure it will be. Both my wife and I travelled there a few years ago and we both had a fabulous time. Great people and certainly different from come from beyond.

Jim

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Paul

Our camp is on the old RR line that goes west from Hearst between Pagwa and Grant.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
It seems this has been a very popular area in which to hunt. Our gang hunted for many years out of Nakina where we flew into a variety of lakes north of there. Prior to that we hunted for a bunch of years when we hunted out of Armstrong, again flying north into many different camps. We were quite successful in both areas.

Super Cub I would love to join you on your Nfld. hunt. My problem is no longer money but physical ability to hold up the work on my end of the hunt. I wish you success on your hunt. I am sure it will be. Both my wife and I travelled there a few years ago and we both had a fabulous time. Great people and certainly different from come from beyond.

Jim

I love that area. It's been a long time since I've been there. Maybe 2021 with the brothers.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Here on the Kenai we lost nearly all our leaves in 2 days earlier this week due to wind. 40 years ago, this used to occure the first week of September, usually.

North of the Alaska Range, the leaves were mostly gone when we came back from our remote cabin on the 21st.

Earlier tho, it was gorgeous. Leaves in the river make for interesting times with a jet unit..... smile

Last edited by las; 10/02/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[quote=wabigoon]As an aside, moose hunting has been a topic. If you would, talk some about how you enjoy the meat? Cooking wise that is.[/quote
Sorry Wabigoon I must have somehow missed this post earlier. The only thing I can say about the quality of moose is you have to see to appreciate 4 or 5 guys sit down and demolish the entire backstraps out of a moose in one sitting. I've never tried to weigh a set of backstraps but it is considerable. I know it is enough to send 5 guys away from the table stuffed to the gills. When we have this we don't even have a side dish of walleye.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (10gaugemag, Akhutr, Anaconda, BallisticBRYAN, 11 invisible), 1,565 guests, and 811 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,202
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.