Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by AKPENDUDE

Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
Originally Posted by Hudge
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I don’t care about non residents. The natives are the ones who really tuck things up with their poaching and slaughtering, wanton waste and general [bleep].

Hard to deny history...

My neighbor had an Airman in his unit that married a native girl from somewhere in NW Alaska. He told my neighbor about how her brothers would go and poach like there was no tomorrow. They even told him that no one would do anything about it as they were Alaskan Natives.

But, but, but, they're the defenders of the planet, and they are one with nature, and so forth

NATIVES: we want to protect our native ways of life, we respect the animals and want to maintain it for the future.

ALSO NATIVES: we shoot hundreds of cows, out of season....

Wanton waste laws don't apply to them either.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd have a hard time reading all the rules and regs, then deciding I wanted to go to that place and follow the rules that I chose to and then complain.

I do agree some things don't make a lot of sense. And some may not even be sound. So I get that.

But I"d rather post all the good rather than all the bad. I suppose its differences in human nature.

Sounds like it was good enough if you are spending the cash to go back though. Its not cheap here. Not at all.

RE tundra not hard to get around in. You didn't see it all then by far. Maybe you stayed up high and dry. Maybe you didn't have 13 loads of moose to haul in a pack with chest waders on in the dark and raining. Never say never all I"m saying...and Carolyn still mutters when we walk out of spruce and see a patch of tussocks...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Calvin

I agree 100% about giving everyone free, unlimited wolf tags. Pay when you slay?

Not sure on the politics or the caribou. One thing for sure is that residents like to magnify the impact of non-residents while ignoring the impacts of residents.

Spot on.

Yup.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The trend is more drawing hunts and what I think are ridiculous antler restrictions that potentially encourage waste. F&G does some things that I question. All made worse by limited access, as per the recent steese steese hwy caribou hunt. Too many people tearing things up. We need more roads

For those without thumbs, it's s Garden fookin Island, not Hawaii
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by johnn
The trend is more drawing hunts and what I think are ridiculous antler restrictions that potentially encourage waste. F&G does some things that I question. All made worse by limited access, as per the recent steese steese hwy caribou hunt. Too many people tearing things up. We need more roads

Roads. Nope. Roads and trails will make AK like CO etc... we just need to be where we are and deal with it. Just because I can't afford to fly out etc... I don't cry about it. Change AK. Nope. Its been done in many other states and it sucks in those states.

Heck anywhere its legal in AK there are more wheeler trails everywhere. Every year. I just don't care for that at all.

My opinion anyway and its worth the same as yours. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Jeff
We’re you able to make it up here this summer?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495

Roads. Nope. Roads and trails will make AK like CO etc... we just need to be where we are and deal with it. Just because I can't afford to fly out etc... I don't cry about it. Change AK. Nope. Its been done in many other states and it sucks in those states.

Heck anywhere its legal in AK there are more wheeler trails everywhere. Every year. I just don't care for that at all.

I'm too old for walk-in hunts but I'd sure like to see more of em.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by VernAK

Like.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by AK_Troutbum

Originally Posted by 358Norma_fan
Originally Posted by Hudge
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I don’t care about non residents. The natives are the ones who really tuck things up with their poaching and slaughtering, wanton waste and general [bleep].

Hard to deny history...

My neighbor had an Airman in his unit that married a native girl from somewhere in NW Alaska. He told my neighbor about how her brothers would go and poach like there was no tomorrow. They even told him that no one would do anything about it as they were Alaskan Natives.

But, but, but, they're the defenders of the planet, and they are one with nature, and so forth

NATIVES: we want to protect our native ways of life, we respect the animals and want to maintain it for the future.

ALSO NATIVES: we shoot hundreds of cows, out of season....

Wanton waste laws don't apply to them either.

Yup

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I’m of the same opinion.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender
Jeff
We’re you able to make it up here this summer?
He did and was doing some guiding I believe up near Talkeetna but he's back up near Delta Junction now. He must like the cold, he's pretty hardy for a Texan. lol

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Good deal.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ducksanddogs
Originally Posted by VernAK

Like.

[bleep] the state has several walk in hunts... the biggest one up north Dalton hwy... I don’t see many folks jumping up and down to do that one... then CCUA off the Denali hwy see very few folks wanting to do that one.. [bleep] you can even ride a bike in there.. well here’s a list.. the last one is highly recommended for all you guys with the “only 2 quads I need are my legs” stickers on your Subaru’s.. I Gauran gd tee you most on here or in Alaska will do any of these walk in hunts especially for moose..

Well chit here they are
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=conservationareas.controlleduse&area=CU_yanert
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=conservationareas.controlleduse&area=CU_woodrvr
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=conservationareas.controlleduse&area=CU_glaciermtn
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=conservationareas.controlleduse&area=CU_ladue
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=conservationareas.controlleduse&area=CU_sourdough
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=conservationareas.controlleduse&area=CU_clearwater
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=conservationareas.controlleduse&area=CU_delta
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=conservationareas.controlleduse&area=CU_tonsina

Last edited by 79S; 09/28/20.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
LOL. I've done a few of those - suppose I am a slow learner.

Only shot one moose myself in a walk-in area, but somehow I've been involved in 3 or 4 pack outs.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
What I didn't like about Alaska was greasy pizza and toll roads and pay to park on at fishing areas. In my 2 trips to Alaska so far that is it. Everything else so far I loved.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cwh2
LOL. I've done a few of those - suppose I am a slow learner.

Only shot one moose myself in a walk-in area, but somehow I've been involved in 3 or 4 pack outs.

I consider you the exception, it just kills me guys crying for more walk in areas don’t realize their are a bunch of them already. Hell one of the most challenging walk in hunt is about to kick off that’s the ship creep drainage moose hunt. I did it once we came in off the hi land side over the pass into ship creek. Never again, I done the 5 mile hump off the dalton one time was good enough for me lol.. I will just stick archery hunting on the dalton..

Last edited by 79S; 09/28/20.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
What I didn't like about Alaska was greasy pizza and toll roads and pay to park on at fishing areas. In my 2 trips to Alaska so far that is it. Everything else so far I loved.

Toll roads?? Where in the hell were you at??

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I don't disagree. I like the idea of limiting access to walk-in as opposed to limiting opportunity via draw. There are plenty of arguments on both sides.

I think the idea of allowing more opportunity to hunt but most likely decreasing the odds is interesting. You are correct that there are lots of areas like that already, but I think some folks would rather see access restrictions than opportunity restrictions.

I guess it also depends on what the goal is too. I think the goal that a lot of us have in mind when we talk about walk-in hunts is that it creates an opportunity that the average guy can take advantage of without expensive equipment. But many of the CUA's allow the use of aircraft, which kind of creates a hunting preserve that only those with planes can access. If the goal is just to decrease the damage to mother earth from the ATVs, then I guess that makes sense.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

Toll roads?? Where in the hell were you at??

Kenai

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Bumper sticker seen here locally: "Want more roads? Move down south".

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

198 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 31 invisible), 2,097 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.