Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I use two different electricians depending on the job. On T&M jobs One is $145 and the other is $150 an hour. They are licensed and insured. That’s what it is in NW Montana.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
I would encourage any young person today to do an apprenticeship and get a skilled labor job. Anyone today going to about 90% of the colleges are going to get a degree in Hate America.

And probably end up working for near minimum wages

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I sure am fortunate to have one of my high school best buds as a journeyman wireman. A general contr now. If I need something, I throw some burgers on make some sweet tea.

The wife makes him and his latest haint or bride a wedding cake and he fixes our electrical meltdowns.

I try not to bother him over micky mouse type chit.

I’m getting ready to nuke him with a whole-house generator transfer switch.

That’s probably going to cost me a pork shoulder and some fried green tomatoes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's more than a two hour job in any case, but I would be surprised if he gets away with not placing a disconnect at the meter location or using a Meter Main device. Mounting that alone will be around 2 hours if he does it right... then he has to ground it, separate the grounds and neutrals at the panel because it becomes a subpanel when the meter main goes in, and a couple ground rods at the new location or use the existing and install a new ground wire to the new meter location. And don't listen to this aluminum wire nonsense from non-electricians. Aluminum wiring got a bad rap way back when they tried to use it for branch circuits in houses for heaters, receptacles, practically everything.. the ends would break when tightened with a wire nut and leave a loose wire arcing in the wire nut, or the nick from stripping would create a high resistance point that would get hot. It was outlawed for branch circuits soon after that. However, aluminum wire for service conductors and for large branch circuits is still perfectly legal and safe if installed correctly.... and somewhat cheaper than copper most of the time. At the moment there isn't a huge difference between aluminum and copper price-wise....

All in all I would say it is a fair price IMO... and I was an electrician for 40 years before I retired last year. Contractor for 20 of those years...

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Always get more than one bid

Make sure the quotes are for the same scope of work though

Absolutely, that sounds very high.

NRA Patron
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by KFWA
need my meter box relocated about 12 feet on the same wall. Decided to go the cheapest way by running aluminum wiring along the eave of the roof, come in thru the attic just above the electrical box.

probably 30 feet of wiring, 2 hours work, no permit , no inspection required

he quoted me $2600

maybe that's fair and I'm just out of touch, but even if the wiring is $500, that's $1050 an hour in labor.

good lord, I'm in the wrong business
Well you're in the wrong place at least. I had a local electrician install a new weatherhead and breaker box with new line running from the wetherhead to the breaker box and then from the breaker box to the house and the total bill was 1200.00. That was just last year.

E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Aluminum wire for the main runs is standard procedure. I had the local power company do my new house from the power pole inside to the breaker box. All aluminum. Now the small outlet and such is where aluminum is a no no. Can’t speculate on your bid but there is other electricians to call. Edk

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Last edited by TheLastLemming76; 09/28/20.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Originally Posted by JakeBlues
I would encourage any young person today to do an apprenticeship and get a skilled labor job. Anyone today going to about 90% of the colleges are going to get a degree in Hate America.

And probably end up working for near minimum wages

Union journeymen up here are close to 100k per year on the new contract. Pretty good money plus the union pays for most of the schooling and apprenticeship costs. 30 year career worth over 3 million not counting promotion or overtime. Not a bad gig.

Osky

A woman's heart is the hardest rock the Almighty has put on this earth and I can find no sign on it.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I was referring to the college grads

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I think the country needs more youth going into trade schools to learn real skills rather than reading a bunch of books then expecting to get paid good wages .

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
I didn't know you could still buy aluminum wiring, I thought it was outlawed for residential wiring (it should be).

Last edited by victoro; 09/28/20.
V
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
V
I can't imagine a worse electrical job than moving the meter box at my house and the power company would have to be involved.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
JFC

And this kind of stuff is in part why Big Stick goes off on folks

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Electricians, plumbers, automotive mechanics, and HVAC can all find jobs and make good money. Trade school or journeyman is a good start for the average kid out of high school.

Back when Obama was in office, half of the college grads couldn't find jobs. The half that couldn't were liberal arts majors. Engineers, lawyers, business degrees, aquaculture, forestry, teachers, computer programming, could all find jobs. Teaching was the only "liberal arts" degree that could find jobs. In other words, people who actually designed or built things or produced things got jobs. Psycology, and other specialty degrees in liberals arts are useless as far as getting a job and making money.

Most people work in the trade skills anyway, not college graduates. Only 20% of Americans have college degrees. Probably 40% work in the trade industries.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
im a journeymen electrician, had a 80% ride for track to university of indiana that i turned down at 18. Worked in a supply house and as a truck driver till 22 when i got in the apprenticeship program. I hate the politics, but im smart enough to make 85/hr total package (20/hr in my retirement with time and a half and double time paid) Im 36, have over 600K in my retirement already and the last few year have been doing 30+%. If you're not gonna get some sort of doctorate or advanced degree, 9/10 people are better off getting into the trades.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You guys who think that aluminum is bad for a main don't know what you're talking about, in typical campfire fashion.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BIL has a drain issue. Plumber walked in. Looked around a bit and quoted $5800 without even getting out a tape measure or putting a camera in the floor. Gave him a story about codes having to be brought up and blah blah blah. I've been a plumber in a past life and its about a 1-2 hour job to fix what he needs. Greed is the order of the day now. Mechanic, electrician, plumber. No one is F ucking honest anymore. If you don't know what your looking at they all take you for a ride

Last edited by k20350; 09/28/20.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Crook

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Gave a bid today to take up 700 sft of ceramic tile and prep floor so their guy can put epoxy down, 1750 dollars. two days work.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 64 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,315
Posts18,468,381
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.