Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Originally Posted by 79S
What I didn't like about Alaska was greasy pizza and toll roads and pay to park on at fishing areas. In my 2 trips to Alaska so far that is it. Everything else so far I loved.

Toll roads?? Where in the hell were you at??

Kenai

I have never seen a toll road on the Kenai.. Far as pay to park fishing that’s the norm.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 79S
What I didn't like about Alaska was greasy pizza and toll roads and pay to park on at fishing areas. In my 2 trips to Alaska so far that is it. Everything else so far I loved.

Toll roads?? Where in the hell were you at??

Kenai

Negative on toll roads. Greasy pizza? Pizza Hut been closed a long time.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Whittier tunnel is about the closest thing we have to a toll road, but that's definitely not Kenai.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by cwh2
LOL. I've done a few of those - suppose I am a slow learner.

Only shot one moose myself in a walk-in area, but somehow I've been involved in 3 or 4 pack outs.

I consider you the exception, it just kills me guys crying for more walk in areas don’t realize their are a bunch of them already. Hell one of the most challenging walk in hunt is about to kick off that’s the ship creep drainage moose hunt. I did it once we came in off the hi land side over the pass into ship creek. Never again, I done the 5 mile hump off the dalton one time was good enough for me lol.. I will just stick archery hunting on the dalton..
Hahaha, i've done that hunt before, saw a whooper of a bull shortly after going about half way down the Ship Creek side but he decided he wanted to go down to the bottom, didn't see another bull after that but did see some pretty nice bears. I must be a glutton for punishment as I'm thinking about doing it again this year. Also did the 5 mile hump on the Dalton, that one wasn't near as bad but I was a lot younger back then.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by cwh2
LOL. I've done a few of those - suppose I am a slow learner.

Only shot one moose myself in a walk-in area, but somehow I've been involved in 3 or 4 pack outs.

I consider you the exception, it just kills me guys crying for more walk in areas don’t realize their are a bunch of them already. Hell one of the most challenging walk in hunt is about to kick off that’s the ship creep drainage moose hunt. I did it once we came in off the hi land side over the pass into ship creek. Never again, I done the 5 mile hump off the dalton one time was good enough for me lol.. I will just stick archery hunting on the dalton..
Hahaha, i've done that hunt before, saw a whooper of a bull shortly after going about half way down the Ship Creek side but he decided he wanted to go down to the bottom, didn't see another bull after that but did see some pretty nice bears. I must be a glutton for punishment as I'm thinking about doing it again this year. Also did the 5 mile hump on the Dalton, that one wasn't near as bad but I was a lot younger back then.

Good luck! Hope you get a nice one!

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

IC B2

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Got two moose out of one of those areas, both solo. Put a friend's 12yo on a caribou in another area...that was a lot of packing for the two of us. Someone better equipped and prepared than I could have shot a whole herd of wolves on that caribou trip...

Awesome hunts, all 3, wish there were more similar opportunities. I'd do either the moose hunt or the caribou hunt again as an out-of-stater if I can ever think that far ahead.

Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Ducksanddogs
Originally Posted by VernAK
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by johnn
The trend is more drawing hunts and what I think are ridiculous antler restrictions that potentially encourage waste. F&G does some things that I question. All made worse by limited access, as per the recent steese steese hwy caribou hunt. Too many people tearing things up. We need more roads

Roads. Nope. Roads and trails will make AK like CO etc... we just need to be where we are and deal with it. Just because I can't afford to fly out etc... I don't cry about it. Change AK. Nope. Its been done in many other states and it sucks in those states.

Heck anywhere its legal in AK there are more wheeler trails everywhere. Every year. I just don't care for that at all.

My opinion anyway and its worth the same as yours. LOL

I'm too old for walk-in hunts but I'd sure like to see more of em.

Like.

[bleep] the state has several walk in hunts... the biggest one up north Dalton hwy... I don’t see many folks jumping up and down to do that one... then CCUA off the Denali hwy see very few folks wanting to do that one.. [bleep] you can even ride a bike in there.. well here’s a list.. the last one is highly recommended for all you guys with the “only 2 quads I need are my legs” stickers on your Subaru’s.. I Gauran gd tee you most on here or in Alaska will do any of these walk in hunts especially for moose..

Well chit here they are
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=conservationareas.controlleduse&area=CU_yanert
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=conservationareas.controlleduse&area=CU_woodrvr
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=conservationareas.controlleduse&area=CU_glaciermtn
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=conservationareas.controlleduse&area=CU_ladue
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=conservationareas.controlleduse&area=CU_sourdough
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=conservationareas.controlleduse&area=CU_clearwater
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=conservationareas.controlleduse&area=CU_delta
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=conservationareas.controlleduse&area=CU_tonsina

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Vek
Got two moose out of one of those areas, both solo. Put a friend's 12yo on a caribou in another area...that was a lot of packing for the two of us. Someone better equipped and prepared than I could have shot a whole herd of wolves on that caribou trip...

Awesome hunts, all 3, wish there were more similar opportunities. I'd do either the moose hunt or the caribou hunt again as an out-of-stater if I can ever think that far ahead.

Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by VernAK
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by johnn
The trend is more drawing hunts and what I think are ridiculous antler restrictions that potentially encourage waste. F&G does some things that I question. All made worse by limited access, as per the recent steese steese hwy caribou hunt. Too many people tearing things up. We need more roads

Roads. Nope. Roads and trails will make AK like CO etc... we just need to be where we are and deal with it. Just because I can't afford to fly out etc... I don't cry about it. Change AK. Nope. Its been done in many other states and it sucks in those states.

Heck anywhere its legal in AK there are more wheeler trails everywhere. Every year. I just don't care for that at all.

My opinion anyway and its worth the same as yours. LOL

I'm too old for walk-in hunts but I'd sure like to see more of em.

Like.

[bleep] the state has several walk in hunts... the biggest one up north Dalton hwy... I don’t see many folks jumping up and down to do that one... then CCUA off the Denali hwy see very few folks wanting to do that one.. [bleep] you can even ride a bike in there.. well here’s a list.. the last one is highly recommended for all you guys with the “only 2 quads I need are my legs” stickers on your Subaru’s.. I Gauran gd tee you most on here or in Alaska will do any of these walk in hunts especially for moose..

Well chit here they are
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=conservationareas.controlleduse&area=CU_yanert
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=conservationareas.controlleduse&area=CU_woodrvr
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=conservationareas.controlleduse&area=CU_glaciermtn
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=conservationareas.controlleduse&area=CU_ladue
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=conservationareas.controlleduse&area=CU_sourdough
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=conservationareas.controlleduse&area=CU_clearwater
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=conservationareas.controlleduse&area=CU_delta
https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=conservationareas.controlleduse&area=CU_tonsina

The pics counting the load outs? smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
A
A
Originally Posted by 1100RemingtonMan
Went Caribou Hunting last year North of the Brooks Range. My complaints is with the Alaska Game & Fish Department. As a Nonresident I was allowed one Caribou in a Zone to take another I had to move to a different Zone. This is First Class Stupid from the Alaska G&F when Residents were allowed I believe 10 tags and natives 50. They are worried about me taking two in one zone total BS. IMHO. I also don't understand why every Hunter is not given 1 Free Wolf license with a big game license. Most Hunters will never shoot one but a few might. Makes more sense than paying employees from the G&F to shoot them from a airplane.
I hope to return someday

Sorry for your bad fate mate. I have visited Alaska several times and I can't but be honest that Alaska is warm and the people are amazing. I enjoy hunting in Alaska for several reasons, especially the magnificent nature and all round hunting condition is magnificent.

I cannot wait to visit again. Maybe you should visit again, don't let one experience cloud your overall judgement, [bleep] happen sometimes, and that is life.

Open society is the answer to justice and equality.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Went Caribou Hunting last year North of the Brooks Range. My complaints is with the Alaska Game & Fish Department. As a Nonresident I was allowed one Caribou in a Zone to take another I had to move to a different Zone. This is First Class Stupid from the Alaska G&F when Residents were allowed I believe 10 tags and natives 50. They are worried about me taking two in one zone total BS. IMHO. I also don't understand why every Hunter is not given 1 Free Wolf license with a big game license. Most Hunters will never shoot one but a few might. Makes more sense than paying employees from the G&F to shoot them from a airplane.
I hope to return someday

I hate to weigh in on this because it seems like all of you have your minds made up already, but I have to say that there is a lot of BS on this thread. I lived in one of the Brooks Range villages and I can tell you that there are no "tags" for residents or natives for caribou. We have harvest limits of 5 caribou a day and it is open almost year around. During certain months you can only take bulls, other months you can only take cows. There is no annual limit on the number of caribou taken, so in theory you could take 35 a week or 150 in a month. But the most successful hunter I know from the village I lived in takes about two dozen a year and he is giving the majority of that to elders.

And wonton waste does happen but it is not the norm(societal pressures are HUGE op here). I know of one moose that was shot by an idiot local out of season during the rut and was left to rot. The owner of the rifle refused to talk and he served jail time for the illegal killing and wonton waste. The actual killer of the moose didn't get in legal trouble but the community banned him from hunting.

But wonton waste is not the norm. The villagers I hunted with used more of the caribou than the average white person does. I am speaking specifically of stewing the bones for broth from the marrow and cooking the meat from the head. It pisses me off when people say that the natives "waste" a lot of what they kill-my experience has been the exact opposite.

SO WHY ARE NON RESIDENTS ONLY ALLOWED 1 CARIBOU IN SOME NORTH SLOPE AREAS????? The answer is simple: "they" don't want you hunting here because the locals rely on the caribou for their subsistence as they have for thousands of years. That is the simple answer. The NR limit was dropped from 2 caribou to only 1 caribou in hopes that this would push non residents to hunt other areas. After all, who would be dumb enough to pay all that money to fly all the way up to the NS just to shoot one caribou?

And that 1 caribou limit seemed to work for a while but the number of outside hunters is increasing and the locals are pushing back. I will not be surprised if the special use areas are increased as the locals blame sport hunters for disturbing the caribou migration. No one really knows why the caribou migrate right past a village one year and then don't migrate through the next- The villagers blame the sport hunters, but I wonder if it has something to do with the villages having a dump that burns trash several times a week and has half a dozen planes landing each day to deliver fuel and take villagers "into town" as they call there trips to Faibanks. It's not uncommon for villagers to go into town once a month.

Honestly I would like to see outsiders banned from hunting in ways that impact the caribou migration because it would force the villagers to look at what they are doing that may or may not be affecting the migration.

AND THE VILLAGERS DO DEPEND ON CARIBOU FOR FOOD. When the caribou don't come everyone is on edge. This has been there way of life for many generations. Sure they could give up this lifestyle and eat store bought meat. They would probably even save money once you figure in the cost of their Argo and snow machines. But without those Argos and snow machines they would be stuck in the village and wouldn't be able to camp/fish/berry pick and do all the other things that are important to them. They would lose their entire way of life.

And I know that a lot of you say "funk-em!" but just remember that they are trying to hold on to a way of life that most of us are trying to recreate to some extent. Us non natives who hunt and fish to feed our families(or even those who hunt and fish for pleasure) are swimming against the current. Modern civilization would have us all living in cities, punching the timeclock, buying our meat from the store and never leaving the confines of our city. Those of us who hunt(regardless of our background) are fighting against this tide. It would be nice if we could see our similarities instead of focusing on our differences.

Last edited by Jason_Brown; 10/01/20.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jason_Brown
I hope to return someday

I hate to weigh in on this because it seems like all of you have your minds made up already, but I have to say that there is a lot of BS on this thread. I lived in one of the Brooks Range villages and I can tell you that there are no "tags" for residents or natives for caribou. We have harvest limits of 5 caribou a day and it is open almost year around. During certain months you can only take bulls, other months you can only take cows. There is no annual limit on the number of caribou taken, so in theory you could take 35 a week or 150 in a month. But the most successful hunter I know from the village I lived in takes about two dozen a year and he is giving the majority of that to elders.

And wonton waste does happen but it is not the norm(societal pressures are HUGE op here). I know of one moose that was shot by an idiot local out of season during the rut and was left to rot. The owner of the rifle refused to talk and he served jail time for the illegal killing and wonton waste. The actual killer of the moose didn't get in legal trouble but the community banned him from hunting.

But wonton waste is not the norm. The villagers I hunted with used more of the caribou than the average white person does. I am speaking specifically of stewing the bones for broth from the marrow and cooking the meat from the head. It pisses me off when people say that the natives "waste" a lot of what they kill-my experience has been the exact opposite.

SO WHY ARE NON RESIDENTS ONLY ALLOWED 1 CARIBOU IN SOME NORTH SLOPE AREAS????? The answer is simple: "they" don't want you hunting here because the locals rely on the caribou for their subsistence as they have for thousands of years. That is the simple answer. The NR limit was dropped from 2 caribou to only 1 caribou in hopes that this would push non residents to hunt other areas. After all, who would be dumb enough to pay all that money to fly all the way up to the NS just to shoot one caribou?

And that 1 caribou limit seemed to work for a while but the number of outside hunters is increasing and the locals are pushing back. I will not be surprised if the special use areas are increased as the locals blame sport hunters for disturbing the caribou migration. No one really knows why the caribou migrate right past a village one year and then don't migrate through the next- The villagers blame the sport hunters, but I wonder if it has something to do with the villages having a dump that burns trash several times a week and has half a dozen planes landing each day to deliver fuel and take villagers "into town" as they call there trips to Faibanks. It's not uncommon for villagers to go into town once a month.

Honestly I would like to see outsiders banned from hunting in ways that impact the caribou migration because it would force the villagers to look at what they are doing that may or may not be affecting the migration.

AND THE VILLAGERS DO DEPEND ON CARIBOU FOR FOOD. When the caribou don't come everyone is on edge. This has been there way of life for many generations. Sure they could give up this lifestyle and eat store bought meat. They would probably even save money once you figure in the cost of their Argo and snow machines. But without those Argos and snow machines they would be stuck in the village and wouldn't be able to camp/fish/berry pick and do all the other things that are important to them. They would lose their entire way of life.

And I know that a lot of you say "funk-em!" but just remember that they are trying to hold on to a way of life that most of us are trying to recreate to some extent. Us non natives who hunt and fish to feed our families(or even those who hunt and fish for pleasure) are swimming against the current. Modern civilization would have us all living in cities, punching the timeclock, buying our meat from the store and never leaving the confines of our city. Those of us who hunt(regardless of our background) are fighting against this tide. It would be nice if we could see our similarities instead of focusing on our differences.

So you are for, favoring one user group over the other 10-4...

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Guess I better go throw away all those marrow bones I kept and get rid of the tongue and face meat while I’m at it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Over a long period of time I spent a bit of time in different villages and was even selected for a huge legal case involving wanton waste by Natives. You have to have some serious tunnel vision to miss ww.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by 79S

If you are talking about out of state hunters vs the people who have lived here for generations, then yes I do favor the locals. When you live in a area you should have preference to the limited resources of that area over those who are traveling into the area from outside. I also favor Alaska residents over non residents. Don't you?

And notice that the regulations don't favor natives over non-natives. They lump everyone together as "local residents" so white dudes like me have the same legal privileges as the native residents.

Guess I better go throw away all those marrow bones I kept and get rid of the tongue and face meat while I’m at it.

I said "The villagers I hunted with used more of the caribou than the *average* white person does." You obviously know how much those bones are worth! I know that many whites use as much of the animal as the natives. I also know that when I'm hunting with other white guys I get a lot of sideways looks when I am salvaging the bones along with the meat. They can't imagine why anyone would waste time and energy on the bones. I would bet that you have run into the same thing.

Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Over a long period of time I spent a bit of time in different villages and was even selected for a huge legal case involving wanton waste by Natives. You have to have some serious tunnel vision to miss ww.

I only have experience in two villages. I haven't seen much waste in either village. But notice that I did not say that there was no waste. Hell, here in Barrow there was a chunk of maktak(whale blubber/skin) on the ground by the steps outside the post office for about six weeks. I always wondered how in the heck that got there and why no animal or bird carried it off. Any hunter who says that he has never wasted any meat ever is a liar- and I don't care what your background is.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

If you are talking about out of state hunters vs the people who have lived here for generations, then yes I do favor the locals. When you live in a area you should have preference to the limited resources of that area over those who are traveling into the area from outside. I also favor Alaska residents over non residents. Don't you?

And notice that the regulations don't favor natives over non-natives. They lump everyone together as "local residents" so white dudes like me have the same legal privileges as the native residents.

I said "The villagers I hunted with used more of the caribou than the *average* white person does." You obviously know how much those bones are worth! I know that many whites use as much of the animal as the natives. I also know that when I'm hunting with other white guys I get a lot of sideways looks when I am salvaging the bones along with the meat. They can't imagine why anyone would waste time and energy on the bones. I would bet that you have run into the same thing.

I only have experience in two villages. I haven't seen much waste in either village. But notice that I did not say that there was no waste. Hell, here in Barrow there was a chunk of maktak(whale blubber/skin) on the ground by the steps outside the post office for about six weeks. I always wondered how in the heck that got there and why no animal or bird carried it off. Any hunter who says that he has never wasted any meat ever is a liar- and I don't care what your background is.

Yeah because of that pesky state constitution. On another note the feds have done a great job eliminating us road system hunters from hunting in certain remote areas of the state.. Don’t forget their are no Indian reservations up here So don’t go thinking the villagers have their own special privileges. So they all ie everbody has to follow state law and federal subsitance laws.. I also don’t favor certain user groups, if you are from Alabama and want to go hunt the porcupine caribou herd go have fun.. if you are from wasilla and want to go hunting around Kotzebue. More power to you. If you live in Barrow want to come to unit 13 to hunt moose?? Ph uck no go back to Barrow this is our precious resource..

Last edited by 79S; 10/01/20.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J

If you live in Barrow want to come to unit 13 to hunt moose?? Ph uck no go back to Barrow this is our precious resource..

You gave me a good laugh. And then I began to wonder if you were serious....

Anyway, I do like the idea of giving locals preference on resources. It seems that all states do this as far as resident vs. non-resident. And when you have locals who have relied on a resource for their survival for generations it makes sense to make sure that said resource is available to them.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If you live in Barrow want to come to unit 13 to hunt moose?? Ph uck no go back to Barrow this is our precious resource..

Anyway, I do like the idea of giving locals preference on resources. It seems that all states do this as far as resident vs. non-resident. And when you have locals who have relied on a resource for their survival for generations it makes sense to make sure that said resource is available to them.

Even though it wasn’t Sitka deer that typed that but me. Yes I’m serious, what you are preaching goes both ways.. as the state constitution says all residents of Alaska. The state constitution doesn’t say only ol Joe living in Ambler gets special preference..

Last edited by 79S; 10/01/20.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 79S

Even though it wasn’t Sitka deer that typed that but me. Yes I’m serious, what you are preaching goes both ways.. as the state constitution says all residents of Alaska. The state constitution doesn’t say only ol Joe living in Ambler gets special preference..

+1Essentially this...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I think they’re fairly well-provisioned through their native corporations, no?

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
What I didn’t like about Alaska; time passes too quickly.
When a 3 week trip ends before you’ve had a chance to see everything you had hoped to see and do.
Umm, it’s a long plane ride from Michigan?
Sorry. That’s all I got. 🙂

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
What I didn’t like about Alaska; time passes too quickly.
When a 3 week trip ends before you’ve had a chance to see everything you had hoped to see and do.
Umm, it’s a long plane ride from Michigan?
Sorry. That’s all I got. 🙂

Mark,
You need to drive up and take those aggravating airports out of the equation.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

717 members (1936M71, 160user, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 19rabbit52, 73 invisible), 3,110 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,167
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.