Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I got two degrees from the VoTech school. Got the Paramedic certificate and worked as a Paramedic for 14 years.
Then, I got a CDL and drove over the road for 8 years.

If I had it to do all over again, I would have gotten the electrician certificate. Lots of work and the pay is great.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
Aluminum wiring can be bad news. Most insurance companies won't cover a house with aluminum wiring. Be very careful about this choice.

Stick to finance . Services are run with Al BY THE UTILITY COMPANY all the time

This....

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
Originally Posted by KFWA
I'll go as high as $1600 to have it done, if I can't get it done for that, then I'm going to build a frame around the pole. All I'm trying to do is mount a gable to my house and the meter pole is up against where I want to mount the gable.

Then I'll bite the bullet later on if I enclose the carport. I'm just not prepared to spend an additional $2600 on a $6K project that doesn't add any value.

Honestly I thought it was a $1K job. But that's what I get for still thinking its 1995.

KFWA, I would try to get a couple more estimates. Mention you'll pay cash and don't mind having it done on weekend if they prefer that. Not a really technically involved job. Not sure about Ohio, but in KY if you enclose the meter base and meter, the Co-OP has right to have possession of key to gain entry to meter. It would work out better for you if you're able to go ahead and get it moved. Good luck with your project.I wouldn't mind helping you if I was closer and we weren't working 12 hour days ourself right now.

I appreciate the sentiment and the advice. I'm going to make some calls this morning.

I remember the first house I bought in the city, it had the water meter in the basement. Wife and I were home one day and a black meter reader just walks in the back door unannounced. It took me a few seconds to realize what was happening. He had a key and I guess he didn't realize we were new owners. That's a good way to have a bad day.

Last edited by KFWA; 09/29/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Electricity isn't rocket science. Around here we still don't need any inspections except for septic and drain field. Between YouTube and thinking for yourself a person can about do anything himself.

Life is good live it while you can.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yes I have wired entirely 4 log cabins and they are more difficult than framed structures. Three way light switches, 220 volt stoves and water heaters, I did it all and no problems. I did get an electrician to install the panel boxes but I did all the rest. Two, 20 gauge circuits for the kitchen countertop with GFI, the refrigerator is on its own circuit, I have learned the code.
In fact, just the other day I wired up the charging station for my brother's Tesla! Yeah baby I am in the modern age.

I like to do wiring I find it relaxing.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve told my grandkids that are going to college. If everyone gets a degree, even the garbage man will have one.
I knew early on I wanted to be a craftsman. Completed the Boilermaker apprenticeship. I never had to worry about a job. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Electricity isn't rocket science. Around here we still don't need any inspections except for septic and drain field. Between YouTube and thinking for yourself a person can about do anything himself.

I'm pretty comfortable with house wiring, I finished out my basement, built a workshop and installed circuit breakers in my panel

but I'm not disconnecting house power from the line coming in and moving a meter. I don't even want to watch a youtube video on that. I want a guy that doesn't have a hook for a hand to do it.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Guys aluminum is used to feed your house (yeah that drop cable they call tri-plex)..

It’s the copper / aluminum connection that is a huge issue, and yes outlet wiring, and stove wiring should IMHO be changed out... you need special connectors & no-oxidation grease on the terminals.

I rip out alum wiring if I find it, unless it’s heavy gauge stuff (dryer, AC maybe)... but for stoves & outlets... I pull it.

smile

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
need my meter box relocated about 12 feet on the same wall. Decided to go the cheapest way by running aluminum wiring along the eave of the roof, come in thru the attic just above the electrical box.

probably 30 feet of wiring, 2 hours work, no permit , no inspection required

he quoted me $2600

maybe that's fair and I'm just out of touch, but even if the wiring is $500, that's $1050 an hour in labor.

good lord, I'm in the wrong business

Did you ever feel overpaid at your job?

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Aluminum wiring can be bad news. Most insurance companies won't cover a house with aluminum wiring. Be very careful about this choice.

I didn't think aluminum was allowed anymore in modern constrcution.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My father's house was built in 1967 with Aluminum wiring on the big cable, not the 12 gauge romex.
He died 9 years ago and I sold his house.
The people that bought the place ripped out the walls to remove the Aluminum wire.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

That,s complete BS.
Back in the70's we were using Alum Romex now that was bad stuff.
Most of the larger wiring in home today is Alum i.e. subfeeds.
Utilitie company's use alum. almost every where underground for low voltage. 120/240 etc. High voltage is copper.

Gun Owners of America
Escapee's RV Club
Elks
Moose
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I tell my boys quite often to get a trade. So far, none are listening. Well, my oldest does have a trade he can use outside of the National Guard as he’s a helicopter mechanic, but he’s going to to school to be a pilot. I worked for the Civil Engineering Sq on the base here as my first Civil Service job. I had a degree doing what I did, and the guys across the hall all HVAC technicians had no degrees and all started at $6K a year minimum over what my boss and I as the highest two GS employees in the shop made. After a year or two on the job, they were pulling in $20K more than I’d ever make in my job there. I have all the respect in the world for tradesmen, and wish I knew more about the trades. My childhood friend is an electrician and does very well for him self. Another is a plumber doing well to.

With that being said, I’ve been replacing the light fixtures throughout our house the past few weeks. I have two chandeliers, that I have no way of even reaching. I’ve called handyman services, electricians, and finally found one that will even come give me a quote to remove the old ones and install the new ones.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Well Hudge during the cold last winter the pipes between the holding tank and the house burst. 8100.00 for two days work. I asked where to take the certified check and they told me the Spur which is the part of the two largest bars in Fairbanks. Turns out that the plumber owns both big bars and his wife who is the accountant makes sure that the staff is doing its job.

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Morewood
That would be a heckuva good deal in my neck of the woods as long as the electrician is licensed and bonded. What you describe is more than a two hour job. Here you'd need a permit and inspections to change the power mast location.

ps - aluminum wiring has downfalls

He was the one that said it was a 2 hour job.He also said no permits or inspection.

After I get 2 more quotes I'll see where he is. He told me he was booked out for 4 weeks so he wasn't too motivated.

If all are north of $2500, I'll build around it.

No permits required? Move it yourself. The only hard part about electrical is knowing the code. Service installation or modification is the easy part.

Moving the panel and modifying every circuit in the house is a different story.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ONe lesson we have learned from the "pandemic" is that some common folks who the elite thought were peons are pretty important. Truck drivers, janitors and electricians are just a few.
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A kid today is a lot better off learning a trade rather than going to college.

I spend all my money on loose women and trapping supplies.....The rest I just waste.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
True enough, but it must be done properly and yield a safe result. I have nothing against the folks "in the trade" who wear the labels, but have known and used several first-rate highly knowledgeable and safe electrical guys, none of whom were "registered" or "bonded" or "union". None of those labels insure quality or efficiency, and the labels may cost you a lot more $$ in some circumstances.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by kwg020
ONe lesson we have learned from the "pandemic" is that some common folks who the elite thought were peons are pretty important. Truck drivers, janitors and electricians are just a few.
kwg

they were always important. way more important they any idiot running around on a field. they never got recognition. take a pick...try living without watching the NFL or without your garbage man

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadTrapper375
A kid today is a lot better off learning a trade rather than going to college.
I have always been a big supporter (and, for a while. a leader) of Voc/Tech education - all sorts of programs ranging through auto mechanics, nursing, computer science, gunsmith, dental tech, various trade union supported apprenticeship programs, the entire gamut - and feel those studies may be even more valuable in today's world. But, never would I make or support the blanket statement noted above as "A kid today" - - . Some kids, very true. Any kid, never so.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (1_deuce, 257wthbylover, 300_savage, 5sdad, 2ndwind, 16 invisible), 1,739 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,511
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.