Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Might also comment that the photo Mr. Redgwell posted may appear as if I'm somewhat over-dressed for pronghorn hunting. But Montana's antelope rifle season starts relatively late compared to many other states, which for some reason open as early as late August. (Have hunted in them....) I killed that buck--the largest-horned of any in the local area--early in the morning of October 25th. It froze that night.

This has happened fairly frequently during our rifle season. One year in he late 80s about a foot of snow (very wet) fell in our then-usual pronghorn area. We ended up hunting in hip-boots, because all the dry "cricks" were running up to more than a foot deep. That was also when we were both younger and tougher, and backpacked into badlands, cutting antelope in half after gutting them, then lashing them to packframes.

The one in the photo was game-carted out.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
BP-B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Might also comment that the photo Mr. Redgwell posted may appear as if I'm somewhat over-dressed for pronghorn hunting. But Montana's antelope rifle season starts relatively late compared to many other states, which for some reason open as early as late August. (Have hunted in them....) I killed that buck--the largest-horned of any in the local area--early in the morning of October 25th. It froze that night.

This has happened fairly frequently during our rifle season. One year in he late 80s about a foot of snow (very wet) fell in our then-usual pronghorn area. We ended up hunting in hip-boots, because all the dry "cricks" were running up to more than a foot deep. That was also when we were both younger and tougher, and backpacked into badlands, cutting antelope in half after gutting them, then lashing them to packframes.

MT Pronghorn opener 2008 was a knee-deep wet heavy snow blizzard. Had friends hunting between Circle and Jordan on opener that sat for 2 days waiting for plows to open up even main roads. We hunted a week later further south and you didn't dare leave a main road lest the gumbo leave you stranded.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
my dear older marine friend who lives in Montana says this when it gets wet and slippery/sloppy : its just dang ugly. so don`t forget your cribbage board during those nasty weather days . have a great fall hunt and be safe . Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
horse1,

I remember a year like that, though in the 1980s. Same area got 14 inches just before the opener, which mostly melted by the time Eileen and I arrived later in the week. (We tend to avoid opening day.) All the "dry cricks" were still running, and we hunted in hip boots so we could cross 'em!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
So, did one of you snag that 256 Newton a couple weeks ago???????

I should have jumped at the first sighting.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
pete53 got it.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
That is what I figured. I should have gone for the whole package including the book.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by horse1

MT Pronghorn opener 2008 was a knee-deep wet heavy snow blizzard. Had friends hunting between Circle and Jordan on opener that sat for 2 days waiting for plows to open up even main roads. We hunted a week later further south and you didn't dare leave a main road lest the gumbo leave you stranded.

Yep I was there in 2008. Only time I ever shot a doe on my "either sex" tag. Got a brief opportunity and figured I better take it. Shot the goat at less than 200 yards. Took 45 minutes to get to her.
[Linked Image]
Rex

Last edited by TRexF16; 09/29/20.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
WOW ! That's WINTER !

Congrats !

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwall
WOW ! That's WINTER !

Congrats !

Jerry

Actually only mid October. And the funny thing is that blue sky in the background is the breaking of the storm. When I shot the pronghorn it was totally overcast and blowing snow still. The snow piled up on her is what accumulated in the time it took me to wade through the thigh-deep snow through a coulee to get to her. Then it broke by the time we got to pictures. Two days later all the snow was gone and it was sunny and reasonably warm. That's Montana for ya.
Rex

Last edited by TRexF16; 09/29/20.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by TRexF16
Originally Posted by horse1

Yep I was there in 2008. Only time I ever shot a doe on my "either sex" tag. Got a brief opportunity and figured I better take it. Shot the goat at less than 200 yards. Took 45 minutes to get to her.
[Linked Image]
Rex

That actually happened 2yrs in a row, I can't recall if the other blizzard happened opener of '07 or '09. I only remember because I had a MT Pronghorn tag in '08 and MT pronghorn opener is also almost always the same weekend as pheasant opener in ND and we had back-to-back blizzard pheasant openers.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
So, did one of you snag that 256 Newton a couple weeks ago???????

I should have jumped at the first sighting.

yes i purchased the package great book,great dies and brass ,yes a great unique rifle too,someone might even write a story about the 256 Newton with the use of this/ my rifle someday ? and no this rifle is not for sale,its mine tell i die ,but be at the garage sale kids will be selling my stuff probably cheap ? Pete53

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
One heck of a snag.
I sure would have liked to work on/with that gun.
I was not interested in the expensive book, but you spoke for the whole package
and I therefore dealt myself out of contention.

Albert Einstein

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
i felt the rifle was worth the price and rest of the gear was a great bonus to me,after seeing it all and reading some of the book i now feel it really was a great deal.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yes, it was.

Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
720 members (12308300, 160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 90 invisible), 2,716 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.