Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Valsdad

I'm not going to believe the car makers are spending anywhere near $10K for a paint job. Even given their production quantities, $4k is way over what they are spending.

I know what it will cost, as I have a friend in the body shop biz, and new paint and clear coat on my 20 year old Tacoma would be $4-7K he said. A few dings in it, but within the last couple of years the clear coat has gone bad and the windblown area at the top of the windshield is getting down through the actual paint.

I doubt it costs the manufacturers more than a couple hundred to paint a vehicle but it's an apples to oranges comparison. They're painted by robots on the production line before anything else is installed. The body panels are brand new and straight from the stamping dies, there aren't any dings to repair. Most of the work for a body shop guy is involved in getting the vehicle back to the stage where the manufacturer started.

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That's nuts!

For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

2 Thessalonians 3:10
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by Valsdad

I'm not going to believe the car makers are spending anywhere near $10K for a paint job. Even given their production quantities, $4k is way over what they are spending.

I know what it will cost, as I have a friend in the body shop biz, and new paint and clear coat on my 20 year old Tacoma would be $4-7K he said. A few dings in it, but within the last couple of years the clear coat has gone bad and the windblown area at the top of the windshield is getting down through the actual paint.

I doubt it costs the manufacturers more than a couple hundred to paint a vehicle but it's an apples to oranges comparison. They're painted by robots on the production line before anything else is installed. The body panels are brand new and straight from the stamping dies, there aren't any dings to repair. Most of the work for a body shop guy is involved in getting the vehicle back to the stage where the manufacturer started.

Yes, I alluded to all that in my post.

It still doesn't make sense for a "non-custom" paint job to cost anywhere near $5,000. At $100 an hour shop time, average in our neighborhood, that's at least 40 hours labor and a $1000 for paint and materials.

As I said, Crazy.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Some of the acorns are larger than average in VA this year. Not sure if they are Bur or Post Oak but definitely white oak.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Man, you got some nuts!!! smile smile smile

Double crazy back at ya!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
How many dings are in it?

Those paintless dent removal people can work magic if they're good at it. I've had them take 3 dings out of 2 different cars and you absolutely can't see where they were.

Of course, they don't work for nothing. But it's usually much less that conventional body work and a full paint job.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
How far are you from these people?

http://www.artisticmdr.com/

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Sorry for your little car and big nuts. There’s a reason garages were invented.

Forgive my laffin’, never heard of totaled by nuts before.

That is why I posted this Dan....how stupid can ya get?

the car is a dark 'sage' color... you stand 10 feet from it, you can only see it if the light is just right...

Not real impressed with USAA once again.. despite all of this veteran Stuff they preach.. they're just another insurance company..as I told the ;"adjuster", who doesn't even have to leave his house now...' you guys are nothing special.. I can get short sheeted anywhere"

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by hanco
That’s crazy

What kind of oak?

ones that Carry Big Friggin Acorns....and lots of 'em.. in a month, my entire acre and a half will be like walking on ball bearings..

by November, at night we'll have 25 to 50 elk in the yard several times a week, chowing down on them..

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by add
Total the car?

That should cover the next few valve cover gasket repairs.

EXACTLY , my thoughts on it...

and damn it! wouldn't ya know I'd just changed them and the oil to boot...

just last week!

IC B3

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
That’s crazy

What kind of oak?

Bur oaks have big acorns.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Have some here, but they aren't native everywhere.

yup... those size of acorns.....

must be the quality or thickness ( or lack of it) on the Camry...

my 06 Pilot was parked right next to it.. and the acorns on it evidently didn't phase a thing on it...

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Heym06
Dry ice and a hair dryer, or heat gun! Heat each dimple and drop the dry ice on it, pop out will come the dent! Worked for hail dents, should work for nut dents! Ask the buy back price, if its cheap enough buy it back and go the heat, ice route! Then sell and make money on the deal!

Good info, and a BiG THANKS for it....

the running gear only has about 80K on it...half its odometer mileage was it was towed behind a motor home since new...
so this puppy has a LOT of life on it.. and from 10 ft away, you can't even really see the 'nut dents' on it..

will try that Heym....

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Body and paint work has gotten damned expensive and replacing the roof of the car probably isn't worth what it would cost.
We have a 2009 Honda Pilot with a lot of sun damage to the upper surfaces of hood and roof. We had the car in for a minor fender repair at a well regarded local body shop last year and I ask the estimator how much to paint the whole car; 5k-7k was the answer.
Needless to say we declined.

Ask around, cause you can find guys who'll do a super job for $1500 and a nice job for $1000.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
If you can't see the dents from 10' away it doesn't need to be repainted. A paint free dent removal guy can make them disappear.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hell, I'd take the total check, pay them back the wholesale value of a totaled car, and drive it with dents.

Mist will pop out in the summer sun next year anyway.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Body and paint work has gotten damned expensive and replacing the roof of the car probably isn't worth what it would cost.
We have a 2009 Honda Pilot with a lot of sun damage to the upper surfaces of hood and roof. We had the car in for a minor fender repair at a well regarded local body shop last year and I ask the estimator how much to paint the whole car; 5k-7k was the answer.
Needless to say we declined.

Yup, a high quality paint job is damn expensive anymore. A bud is just finishing up a 1940 hot rod pickup build and he's been quoted between 12 and 20.000 dollars.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That’s crazy

What kind of oak?

Hookie Schit Barry, I new you had a set of nuts but I had no idea!!

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Went top roping in southern Illinois several years, some state park. Got pelted randomly at night by some acorns about the size of what you described.

Seemed to a type of red oak best I can remember. They rrally were about the size of ping ping balls.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Don't worry, Earl Schieb will paint your whole car for $39.95.....

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Regular acorns already have my aluminum foil Ford looking like a golf ball. I think that two or three of those in the same spot might make it all the way through the hood.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (257robertsimp, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 338Rules, 13 invisible), 1,139 guests, and 765 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,057
Posts18,463,236
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.