Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am a long time Barnes fan, was nervous when Randy and Connie sold out. No issues with the current Barnes . I am actually relieved a bullet company bought Banes. Especially one with the track record of Sierra.

More of a Hornady guy, but the few times I have used Sierra's they have been just fine.

Arcus Venator
BP-B6

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Barnes and Sierra are my two favorite bullet brands so I am satisfied that Barnes bullets are in good hands with the bullet smiths 👍...Sierra quality is second to none ......Hb

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A bullet company didn't buy Barnes, read the links.

Sierra was bought out by a holding company.

The decision was made to purchase Barnes.

Wanna bet it was not made by Sierra?

If they turn a good enough profit that outweighs their ability to take on enormous
debt, they may stick around. If not, they will be saddled in debt. The holding company
will pull every bit of cash out, run them into the ground then sell them to another
to repeat the process until there is nothing left but real estate.

Give it a thought.

Cerberus bought Remington, then acquired everything else folding them together.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
They work real fine in my 308’s and Garand’s

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Originally Posted by Fotis
And Ruger bought Marlin.

Yep, i will interested to see if the Marlin 336/1895 rifles stay the same or will they be Rugerized with blocky designs and less machining....Hb

LOL. First Remington acquires a company that had zip modern machinery which caused them to program CNC machines to build rifles. All that time and investment shot .

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
A bullet company didn't buy Barnes, read the links.

Sierra was bought out by a holding company.

The decision was made to purchase Barnes.

Wanna bet it was not made by Sierra?

If they turn a good enough profit that outweighs their ability to take on enormous
debt, they may stick around. If not, they will be saddled in debt. The holding company
will pull every bit of cash out, run them into the ground then sell them to another
to repeat the process until there is nothing left but real estate.

Give it a thought.
Cerberus bought Remington, then acquired everything else folding them together.

This SUX !!! I'm not a Sierra patron - I have ONLY 1 green box in my loading CABINET but it still SUX.
Marlin, Remington, Sierra -- Remember Sears, they bought Kmart and are going UNDER!

Still, THANKS for the details Dillon

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Laffin. I love me some Sierras. Barnes, not so much.

I'm the exact opposite when I hunt big game with high velocity calibers. I refuse to do the Sierra / Berger reverse stalk. Lol

The only Sierra bullets I've ever purchased are the 200g .375 caliber for my Marlin in .375 Winchester.

My hunting group has been using Barnes MRX, TTSX and LRX since they became available (the MRX were replaced by the TTSX, but I still have a few). Love the way they perform on game. Results include 50% straight-down DRT, no animals going more than a few steps and no bullets recovered, including the two I put lengthwise through mule deer. And accuracy has been very good in every rifle we've tried them in.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
And Ruger bought Marlin.

Yep, i will interested to see if the Marlin 336/1895 rifles stay the same or will they be Rugerized with blocky designs and less machining....Hb

They probably will be redesigned for manufacturing ease and economics .

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by geedubya

Well for meat hunters such as I that do not shoot premium critters, the Game Kings and Pro hunters work just fine!

GWB

Originally Posted by CRS

More of a Hornady guy, but the few times I have used Sierra's they have been just fine.

Mighty fine group and slabs of meat there geedubya . Sierra bullets done you good .

My favorite Barnes hunting bullet would have to be their XPB bullets ( X Pistol Bullet ). I load them in my S&W 500 and Ruger Super Redhawk 44 for whitetail .

At the NRA convention 2019 ( Indianapolis ) , I personally told Randy Brooks and Steve Hornady that my interpretation of the XPB hollow point bullets is = X “ Pickle Barrels “ . They chuckled pretty hard .

Steve Hornady was talking to Randy Brooks about raising cattle , ranch life , etc … They are very good friends .

Last edited by bulkie_roll; 09/30/20.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
[

The only Sierra bullets I've ever purchased are the 200g .375 caliber for my Marlin in .375 Winchester.

Can you share your load? smile Mine is 35.5gr of 1680 F210 primers and WW brass. Right at 2200 plus...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used Sierra Match Kings on elk for many years in a 7 Mag until I was told one could not do that. Never had an elk complain though. Still shoot the same slugs in it, but have gone to 30-378 for elk now.

1Minute
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I love the Barnes bullets, Sierras not so much. Hopefully they don't change them or run them into the ground...

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by russm86
I love the Barnes bullets, Sierras not so much. Hopefully they don't change them or run them into the ground...

If they're smart, Clarus will treat Barnes just like it has treated Sierra, and just like Serberus treated Barnes, which is they will stay out of the way, and let Randy make bullets. Barnes already has a great reputation among hunters and a large market share for such a specialty bullet company. I'd like to see them expand their target bullet line and maybe grab some market share from the bigger makers, like Sierra.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
S
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
S
Hail to the Rifle Loonies!!! It's been a long time since I have been on this site.Hornady,Sierra and Nosler have been on my bench since mid 60's.Dad used shbt 75gr.to control coyote n all matter of critters in the Western US. from his .243 Ackley.n..25-06 Ackley Rifles... Scotty O.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
For inching paper and clangin steel I love Sierra. For smackin game at Uber speeds Barnes are where it’s at.

Different tools for different purposes.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Laffin. I love me some Sierras. Barnes, not so much.

I'm the exact opposite when I hunt big game with high velocity calibers. I refuse to do the Sierra / Berger reverse stalk. Lol

WOW, for me I'm with wilkeshunter, would take a Sierra 9 times out of 10 over a Barnes, must be some recent news I drove past the Barnes plant in Mona yesterday and all seemed normal wink

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Over the years I've shot a bunch of Sierra bullets from .224" up through .375" at a lot of different animals, both large and small, and I have never had any complaints concerning accuracy or performance on animals. I hope someone can shed some light on what I've done wrong in the past and on what I'm still doing wrong.

The Sierra list includes Sierra bullets in .224", 6MM, 257", 6.5 MM, 270", 7MM, 308", 338" and .375".

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BayouRover
Over the years I've shot a bunch of Sierra bullets from .224" up through .375" at a lot of different animals, both large and small, and I have never had any complaints concerning accuracy or performance on animals. I hope someone can shed some light on what I've done wrong in the past and on what I'm still doing wrong.

The Sierra list includes Sierra bullets in .224", 6MM, 257", 6.5 MM, 270", 7MM, 308", 338" and .375".

Nothing at all. You like them, they work for you, awesome.

I rather use a bullet that will work from 1600 fps to 4000 fps. From mice to moose. Different strokes.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Yup it's true. They acquired Barnes ammunition. laugh

Waiting for the introduction of the Sierra CopperKing... laugh

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Like I said in the other thread, green tip Barnes TTSX would look cool. Stick with the tried and true Barnes design with a subtle reminder that it’s now owned/run by Sierra.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
352 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 45 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,083 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,599
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.