Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I am in need of a replacement digital caliper. My current Lymans seem to have too much slop in them, but beyond that, they will intermittently loose zero. typically by .200, occasinally by .400. really messes with a guy.

Not afraid to spend what is necessary.

I saw the Mitutoyo recommended somewhere. When I looked them up, prices range from about $40 online to a couple hundred for the same model number. Any indication something isnt right there?

Any other suggestions? I dont like why the price is so variable, seems fishy.

Salmonhead
GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Buy a set of Brown and Sharp Digital calipers, they are sealed with no track to get contaminated , they automatically shut off to save battery life and are very durable, you can order them from Mcmichael Carr and get them in a couple days .
They are great and will last a life time !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Or buy a good set of dial calipers, learn how to use them, and never have to buy a battery again. grin...

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by jimy
Buy a set of Brown and Sharp Digital calipers, they are sealed with no track to get contaminated , they automatically shut off to save battery life and are very durable, you can order them from Mcmichael Carr and get them in a couple days .
They are great and will last a life time !

Holy moly they must be made out of cocaine and hooker’s tears! $$$

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I paid $19 dollars for my digital calipers at Horrible Fright. They have always matched the reading on my Japanese dial calipers.
They look exactly like the ones the reloading companies sell with their logo on.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NVhntr
I paid $19 dollars for my digital calipers at Horrible Fright. They have always matched the reading on my Japanese dial calipers.
They look exactly like the ones the reloading companies sell with their logo on.

Pretty sure they are the same.
Since the circuit boards, software etc are all likely the same...
My guess would be that the only place to "effectively" cut corners would be in the machine work..

Meaning the dial gauge is actually better (if you know how to use it).

But quality tools have always been dear.
Just go look at one of the drill bit threads....

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah, they are certainly good enough for what I use them for. I'm not machining parts for NASA.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I own a pair of U.S. made, not all are, Starrett good for machinist's milk and with a data port.

I suggest whatever import with a brand label is on sale at Midway and the rest of the usual suspects. If a guarantee is wanted Brownell's. If you need to spend more you'll know it otherwise what's cheap/on sale.

Brown and Sharp is a fine label, not the same company,. and mostly not entirely, made in Europe

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Mitutoyo digital calipers and don’t look back.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Mitutoyo digital calipers and don’t look back.

That's what I say:

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I will second the Brown & Sharp, pay once cry once, bought mine used just calibrated. Inch and millimeters. I have had RCBS mechanical and harbor freight. The RCBS were not bad, but got sloppy after many years. The Harbor freight were CR*P, only a single digit passed the decimal. Mitutoyo is good as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

REAL Mitutoyo digital calipers and don’t look back.

there are many Chinese knockoffs , especially on ebay/amazon

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Was wondering about knockoffs with the huge price differences

Salmonhead
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I understand you asked about digital, I have digital and dial, But I reach for the dial every single time.

Get yourself a dial Starrett 120A, American made, and it can be passed down to to the next of kin.

Done deal.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The reason for digital over dial calipers is the sealed track on digitals instead of the open track that dials operate on, a single grain of powder or a piece of dirt in the track allows the dials to skip and sometimes will be enough to ruin them.

Starrett makes great tools, as does Brown & Sharpe, both are better quality than are "really" needed for most home reloaders, but I'm not trying to save money when I'm the guy pulling the trigger. Kind of like buying cheap scopes and then bitching about repeatability !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
One thing you will find with Mitutoyo is the battery life will be much longer than the cheaper versions out there. I oversee a QC department and have found them to be superb. Starett is decent as well. I have not used the Brown and Sharp but would think they are good as well. Expect to pay $100-150.00 for decent calipers. I have found you get what your pay for holds true! Good luck on your purchase!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
These simply work. Really like the 8" size for the "grip" when opened up, especially with comparators installed. Not a hiccup in 5 years. Give me hell if you want, they come with chopsticks.

https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-100-200-8-Electronic-Fractional-Protection/dp/B0056OETWA

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The reason for digital over dial calipers is the sealed track on digitals instead of the open track that dials operate on, a single grain of powder or a piece of dirt in the track allows the dials to skip and sometimes will be enough to ruin them.

Hmm... Never had that happen but I've only been using and selling them for 40 years or so. But then I don't submerge my rifles in trout streams either. grin...

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Starrett makes great tools, as does Brown & Sharpe, both are better quality than are "really" needed for most home reloaders, but I'm not trying to save money when I'm the guy pulling the trigger. Kind of like buying cheap scopes and then bitching about repeatability !

Yep, ive had Starret dial calipers go tits up. Ive been using my Mitutoyo digitals for almost 20 years and have only changed the batery 2 times.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Depends on your desired accuracy, precision, frills, and durability (IP rating). I would get Mitutoyo if I had money for it. Check the specs vs what you need it to do- not all calipers are equal (of course).

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

681 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 117LBS, 10ring1, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,604 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,164
Posts18,465,238
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.