Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by Sheister
This thread is a perfect reminder of why you don't take advice on the internet unless you know who is responding. Some very knowledgeable electricians on this thread who know what they are talking about... and an awful lot of guys on here acting like experts about something the apparently know nothing about....
Bob

And typically they also can't stay on track..
OP simply asked about price but people start
pooring in with irrelevant career advice... Tff.

Why would any half sensible young person take
notice of geriatrics that can't address the actual
question.. πŸ˜‚

One of my favorite demeaning of other opinions is from Frank Barnes in CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD comparing the 30-30 to the 32 special, "Any difference in power between the two exist only in the imagination of the hot stove league."

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now they are way off the rails talking about legal representation on a household electrical thread...why not go full wacko and suggest
the OP get a virgin Mary fridge magnet. . πŸ˜‚ The man just wants his house wired but Chucktool is now sharing his delusions. And typically they also can't stay on track. OP simply asked about price but people start pooring in with irrelevant career advice... Tff. Why would any half sensible young person take notice of geriatrics that can't address the actual question.....very sad.
Does this guy consider himself the enforcer of protocols and directions for our threads - his assumed need for his services is probably highly inflated - and his policing qualifications ??.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by CCCC
Now they are way off the rails talking about legal representation on a household electrical thread...why not go full wacko and suggest
the OP get a virgin Mary fridge magnet. . πŸ˜‚ The man just wants his house wired but Chucktool is now sharing his delusions. And typically they also can't stay on track. OP simply asked about price but people start pooring in with irrelevant career advice... Tff. Why would any half sensible young person take notice of geriatrics that can't address the actual question.....very sad.
Does this guy consider himself the enforcer of protocols and directions for our threads - his assumed need for his services is probably highly inflated - and his policing qualifications ??.

He's just trying to contribute the best he can with what he has to offer, maybe we should ease up on him. He really has no understanding of anything most of us post about here. He's probably actually a really well respected good guy by his peers. Nah, just fucghing with you, he's an a$$ hole and probably a drunk by some of his off the wall ramblings he posts.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
who needs college

not as many as once thought

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
College! We don’t need no damn college!

I spent a lot of days in the 100 degree sun. I was wishing I had an inside job then!

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by Morewood
That would be a heckuva good deal in my neck of the woods as long as the electrician is licensed and bonded. What you describe is more than a two hour job. Here you'd need a permit and inspections to change the power mast location.

ps - aluminum wiring has downfalls

He was the one that said it was a 2 hour job.He also said no permits or inspection.

After I get 2 more quotes I'll see where he is. He told me he was booked out for 4 weeks so he wasn't too motivated.

If all are north of $2500, I'll build around it.

No permits required? Move it yourself. The only hard part about electrical is knowing the code. Service installation or modification is the easy part.

Moving the panel and modifying every circuit in the house is a different story.

If you don't need a permit, why bother with the code since there is no one to keep you honest?

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by MadTrapper375
A kid today is a lot better off learning a trade rather than going to college.

I know two kids that pulled up stakes and went to South Carolina to go to medical school. Should they have passed and gone off to be a turd wrassler or nail bender?

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As posted: A kid today is a lot better off learning a trade rather than going to college.

It is sometimes sad, but a normal human shortcoming - that most of us tend to offer observations and advice to others based solely on our own performance experience. Often we do not take into account that others are made up of different talents/aptitudes/tolerances and life ambitions - what looks best through our eyes often is not a good fit for them. Some of my HS friends (long time ago) studied for trade work or started small businesses and did very well with those - success stories - and they were often well-advised in their choices by elders who had studied the variables in those young lives. Others were guided toward higher learning of the more broad sort and benefited well from that. A certain few would not have done well regardless of the choices. This is important, given human individuality.

Over the course of a career, I worked with many, many young people as they made decisions about their desired fields of endeavor and the learning they would acquire to be successful in that field. Many, many took advantage of voc/tech training and are doing great. Others went for bachelors and advanced graduate degrees and have done well, and others simply took a god job in retail or services and grew in that setting. The one aspect that I ALWAYS emphasized on my part (and, consequently/quietly for them) was NEVER to assume or speculate about limitations in their talents/persistence/drive and not say anything that would limit or inhibit their growth and potential.

I simply can't make a categorical statement about "what kids should do" for training and a career. Things change. People tend to be at their best when broad - specialization is for insects.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know, I spend three quarters of the day outside playing farmer, the rest inside. What an advanced degree did for me was understand the world a little better, and give me the choice to do just about exactly what I want to do. Nothing against plumbers or electricians or train engineers, but there's far too much drudgery, repetitiveness and body torment for those type of careers to be attractive to me. One of the best decisions I've ever made was to find something to do that was more than just trading money for time.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 36 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,851
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.