Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
cisco1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C

I don't know if any one has posted this, but new ATF form , mandatory use starts Nov. 1 , 2020.

I am not on the forum often , as theCampfire Train has left the station for me.

Looks like registration , however.

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/atf-form-4473-firearms-transaction-record-revisions

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why does this look like registration? These appear to be very minor changes

"For some unfortunates, poisoned by city sidewalks ... the horn of the hunter never winds at all" Robert Ruark, The Horn of the Hunter

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Used it yesterday for the first time. Not knowing it had changed, it did throw me for a loop.

Unfortunately I promptly left the FFL and got into a canoe that later capsized on the way home with both of my newly purchased guns sinking to the bottom of the reservoir. It was a shame. 🤥

Fear the crabcat.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind
Used it yesterday for the first time. Not knowing it had changed, it did throw me for a loop.

Unfortunately I promptly left the FFL and got into a canoe that later capsized on the way home with both of my newly purchased guns sinking to the bottom of the reservoir. It was a shame. 🤥

Gypsy Wind;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope that other than the horrific boating accident that all is as well as can be in your world.

Honestly I expect that in all likelihood it occurred because of your geographic proximity to Canada.

After some of the rumblings from Ottawa earlier this year, there's been an absolute epidemic of boating and canoeing incidents up here.

While it indeed could be viewed as tragic in so many ways, like other things we're dealing with, I'm happy to report that the loss of life seems to be for the most part absent.

All the best to you this fall sir.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 09/30/20. Reason: better wording - maybe???

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by exbiologist

The shift to putting the guns first rather than the buyer is troubling at the gut level, but not as bad as question 12. You now get to choose whether you are male, female, or "non binary."

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
K
I filled out one Monday. I thought the serial number was on the previous form as well, but looking at that now, it was not.
The one thing that did catch my eye was on gender. Male, Female, or Non-Binary are now options.

When they run the background check online (or by phone) the serial number isn't included. The seller has to keep the 4473 form on their premises. So, not registration, per se.

Last edited by KenMi; 09/30/20.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Did you check out the MALE/FEMALE/NON BINARY question. What a joke.

Bill

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sitka beat me to it!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

The shift to putting the guns first rather than the buyer is troubling at the gut level, but not as bad as question 12. You now get to choose whether you are male, female, or "non binary."

Sitka;
Good morning to you sir, I trust all is well with you and your fine family.

We're starting to see some of those options cropping up here and there on our side of the medicine line as well.

The thing is Sitka, as I'm aging - and told by my daughters I am not mellowing in so doing - most days I self identify as a cross between a chainsaw - Husqvarna of course - and a grouchy bear.

There soon will not be enough space on the forms for all my names AND what I choose to identify as today! laugh

All the best to you folks this fall sir. Good luck on your remaining hunts.

Dwayne

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KenMi
I filled out one Monday. I thought the serial number was on the previous form as well, but looking at that now, it was not.
The one thing that did catch my eye was on gender. Male, Female, or Non-Binary are now options.

When they run the background check online (or by phone) the serial number isn't included. The seller has to keep the 4473 form on their premises. So, not registration, per se.

The serial number is on the current form and past forms. It is not reported to NICS during the check, though.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by BC30cal

Sitka;

We're starting to see some of those options cropping up here and there on our side of the medicine line as well.

The thing is Sitka, as I'm aging - and told by my daughters I am not mellowing in so doing - most days I self identify as a cross between a chainsaw - Husqvarna of course - and a grouchy bear.

There soon will not be enough space on the forms for all my names AND what I choose to identify as today! laugh

Dwayne

I wouldn’t hold my breath. Everyone knows they’ll only allow Stihls on the form. Huskies have a long way to go to be identified as a gender.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Pity that nobody proofread the opening statements prior to publishing on a government website

“ ATF strongly encourages all FFLs to being using this new form immediately...”

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Sitka;

Dwayne

And good morning to you Dwayne!

I empathize with you... But the funny part to me is going to be the first individual using the designation and trying to get it by without having it on his ID. Information on the 4473 and the ID must match...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cross
Pity that nobody proofread the opening statements prior to publishing on a government website

“ ATF strongly encourages all FFLs to being using this new form immediately...”

I love the smell of Ebonic Existentialism in the Morning.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by KenMi

Until FFL retires and gives up his books or the ATF just decides to take the records.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
IIRC the letter that came with the new forms said to toss the old ones....

Which I did, but I don’t do a bunch of sales, I’m on the Gunsmith side of the house... so a lot of logging, not too many transfers.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And I regularly purge old forms (over 20 years) from my records.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When they run the background check online (or by phone) the serial number isn't included. The seller has to keep the 4473 form on their premises. So, not registration, per se. [/quote]

I am a licensed dealer. When you call into NICS they ask you the type of firearm in Wisconsin that is either long gun or other firearm such as an AR 15 lower receiver ,Thompson Contender . Because handgun purchases go thru the state here. They do not know if it is a rifle/shotgun, caliber, serial number make or model.
However if you buy 2 or more handguns at one time or 2 or more in 5 consecutive business days. Dealers have to fill out a multiple handgun sales form. That is
very specific. Your name, address, brand of gun, model of gun, serial number, caliber etc. very intrusive.That gets sent to the BATF. That is more info then I like the government to have.

Bill

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ducksanddogs

Sitka;

Dwayne

I wouldn’t hold my breath. Everyone knows they’ll only allow Stihls on the form. Huskies have a long way to go to be identified as a gender.

Ducksanddogs;
Good morning to you sir, I hope this last day of September is looking to be a fine one up in your part of the world. We're going to be warm again, so it's a good day to do yard work and not head up and hunt I suppose.

While I'm sorry to read of those discriminatory regulations, I'm not entirely surprised either.

Although I do have both varieties, the Stihl is a limb trimmer 170 and is far less macho than the Husky. That said, when I had to nearly pull my arm off with the Husky on Monday trying to get it started, I was less than enthralled with it in the heat of the moment.

All that said, it's 14 odd years old and likely deserves a carb kit already so there is that.

Thanks for the laugh and all the best to you this fall. Good luck on your hunts!

Dwayne

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Serial has been on 4473s for years, on page three with the firearm description.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 56 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.