THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
BP-B2

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by tzone
I find it a bit strange you won’t have him there on opening weekend. He’s either part of the crew or not.

It’s kinda like telling the kids they can come sit at the table for dinner after you’ve eaten the best pieces of steak before they’re allowed to eat.

The new guy has to wait until anything decent are all shot off the bait piles.

😂😂

Bait piles are just not worth it where we are. I had a neighbor that used to spend $800 a year on a massive one. He would have been the first to admit that mostly what he was doing was feeding my deer. They came off my property in droves at night, fed on his corn and then went back over the line to bed at my place. It's very expensive to maintain, and it really doesn't pay off in the long run. The big problem is acorns. You just can't complete with the wild mast at this time of year. Deer will pass up everything if they can get their fill of white oak acorns and we have an abundance of old white oaks growing down an abandoned road on the center of the property.

As far as tipping the scales in our favor, the most we've done is torn up a couple of pastures and planted clover at times. I think the last one was about 10 years ago. Honestly, it just isn't needed in our part of the world. I've got deer coming up and sticking their heads in the bedroom window when I'm taking a nap.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by slumlord
Originally Posted by tzone
I find it a bit strange you won’t have him there on opening weekend. He’s either part of the crew or not.

It’s kinda like telling the kids they can come sit at the table for dinner after you’ve eaten the best pieces of steak before they’re allowed to eat.

The new guy has to wait until anything decent are all shot off the bait piles.

😂😂

That's about what I gathered from it.

Camp is where you make it.
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It's okay guys. I'll take you off the waiting list grin

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Put me on it :

Robert B. Brown

Bob

FUGK CCP

It’s time to WAKE UP
GOD BLESS THE USA
WWG1WGA
THERE ARE NO COINCIDENCES
IC B2

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobBrown
Put me on it :

Robert B. Brown

Bob

You bet. Start working on your callsign.

This kind of puts me in mind of Deer & Deer Hunting's Pro Staff shenanigans. There were always questions about who we were and what we'd had to do to become a pro-staffer, and did we all hunt together and stuff like that. Actually the situation was a lot like here, except some of us had been appointed subject matter experts for our state. I did double-duty for Ohio and Kentucky, and also answering questions about deer rifles and reloading. There was always what I'd call fan mail. It was just plain silly for grown men to be asking those questions.

The guy from Iowa (I'm sorry his name escapes me) and I started playing this whole thing for laughs. Yes, we did hunt together. We hunted at one of several D&DH facilities around the country, but we had a large facilty in an undisclosed location that was was both a test lab and conditioning facility to keep us in peek conditioning.. Yes, we underwent a strenuous test to get in. The details were phenomenal. Army Rangers couldn't have passed it. Yes, we spent most of our time at the D&DH clubhouse, flying home occasionally to be with our families. The deeper we went in this thing, the more ludicrous the questions became. I invented "Scooter." He was a young orphan that we'd taken in and we were teaching him how to be a good pro-staffer. Scooter was always asking silly questions about deer hunting, but we'd always take time to answer him. The trick was that no pro-staffer could disagree with another, no matter how bizarre it got. We kept a unified front. Yes, it was all true. Professional wrestlers and TV hucksters would blush at our claims.

Most of the guys on D&DH knew this was just a gag, but there were fellows who would come on the forum and argue that some little bit of minutiae was not true. Never mind that that the whole thing was a complete farce. It was a lot of fun. I'm sorry it had to go.

So yes, y'all have us! Someone took this pic the other day and was trying to use it to blackmail our deer camp. I figure the best way is to come clean and beg the Tennessee delegation for forgiveness:

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Oh the shame!

Last edited by shaman; 09/16/20.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
If I pay my money to hunt I'll be damned if you're going to tell me not to show up opening day. Around here, when you get on a new lease they tell you the rules. You break those rules and they probably won't ask you back next year. But they probably won't micro manage you either. You pay your money, they assign you an area(or you draw for an area), and you are free to hunt legally and ethically and above all safely.

Last edited by Filaman; 09/16/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
shaman, sounds like a walk in cooler would be a big asset. Don't you guys at least quarter the deer up and put the meat in a cooler? I can not imagine spending money for processing deer. I would go broke not to mention the satisfaction of doing your own.

Yeah and when you take it to a processor you don't know if you'll get your deer or somebody elses. That wouldn't be too bad except you don't know how old another deer was once it gets processed, you don't know how the deer was handled or how long it stayed warm after shooting. If I do it myself I know what I've got and I have control over doing it.
I haven't taken a deer to a processor since I killed my first deer in 1966. That was the only deer I ever had processed. But I was all of 18 years old and didn't really have a clue.
'

Last edited by Filaman; 09/16/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Filaman
If I pay my money to hunt I'll be damned if you're going to tell me not to show up opening day. Around here, when you get on a new lease they tell you the rules. You break those rules and we won't ask you back next year. But we don't micro manage you either. You pay your money, we assign you an area, and you are free to hunt legally and ethically.

We are not a for-pay operation. We are not a lease. We are not a club. We collect no dues. We have no rules. My boys are inviting a friend out, and we decided that it would be best to extend the invitation after Opening Weekend to give him a better chance of settling in and being successful. That's the short of it. If NewGuy has a good time and enjoys himself, we'll keep inviting him, and I have no doubt he'll be invited back next year for the Opener. This is going to be his first rifle hunt, and everyone (including NewGuy) agrees.

It's okay if that's hard to grasp. Not everyone is cut out for this situation. I'll be happy to take your name off the waiting list as well.

BTW: This is not our first attempt at this. I had a fellow come out a number of years ago and went squirrel hunting in full tactical gear and a drop holster. He said, he didn't know what he was going to be running into. I had a couple turkey hunters on the property a few years ago, and they spent the afternoon trying to chase a flock like they were quail. We gave permission a while back for another father/son pair to deer hunt a section of our property, and we later found them the next spring turkey hunting on the other side of the property in one of my blinds. My sons had a friend to a campout that nearly rolled his truck (while he was sober) as he was blowing through the hay that had just been raked.

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
This all reminds me of a piece I wrote in June of last year. We had experienced a situation in that a guy was pushing for an invite, and it turned out there were . . . issues. My sons were the ones that tipped the scales against the fellow. It had little to do with me. At the same time, we had met a guy who would have been ideal, but his health was not up to scratch and he decided he couldn't come. While I was cogitating on all this, I wrote this in the weblog:

Who Comes to Deer Camp

I'm sure there's a bunch of rugged individualists that won't understand.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Filaman
If I pay my money to hunt I'll be damned if you're going to tell me not to show up opening day. Around here, when you get on a new lease they tell you the rules. You break those rules and they probably won't ask you back next year. But they probably won't micro manage you either. You pay your money, they assign you an area(or you draw for an area), and you are free to hunt legally and ethically and above all safely.

I guess you'll be damned if you'll read before ranting too.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This is a funny thread.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I think more of a farce than anything else.."

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I think some people take themselves and deer hunting, way to seriously

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Nathan13
I think some people take themselves and deer hunting, way to seriously

They are just trying to get a Pro Staff gig and wrapped 4x4 pick em up truck.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
While I was talking with NewGuy around the Campfire, I laid out my recommendations for gear. He's been a bowhunter for 10 years. I know he knows his way around. However, I wanted to let him know what works best for us under the conditions we face. I got it all written down and added pics.

If I were the NewGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 70’s called to congratulate you on the gear recommendations.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Care to elaborate?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shaman
Care to elaborate?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I notice a lot of knit hats. Me? I prefer waterproof shell with insulation underneath. I like a bill on it as well, because it keeps my glasses from getting wet in the rain. In the morning, I wear a wool balaclava underneath for additional warmth and then pull it down and use it as a neck gaiter later in the day.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
721 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 11point, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 92 invisible), 2,715 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,890
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.