Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Not a large camera, one that will fit in a pocket, but take fairly good pictures.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
GB2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Don't have a recommendation, but I would suggest calling Joel at CameralandNY. Have had nothing but fantastic service from them whether asking questions or purchasing scopes, binos, cameras, lenses or accessories.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
SonyRx100vii is highly recommend. Recently purchased one from CL. Pics are excellent.

laissez les bons temps rouler
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
SonyRx100vii is highly recommend. Recently purchased one from CL. Pics are excellent.

This camera might be more than you want to spend, but a woman that I work with bought one of these about a year ago.
Battue is correct, IMNSHO.

The camera is awesome -- the huge flip up screen will let you easily take pictures from ground level without lying in the dirt, of above your head and still carefully frame the shot -- or set up the camera for a selfie and then use the huge screen to get that selfie exactly the way you want it.

Here is the review that caused my work colleague to purchase this model The Sony RX100 VII is the best compact camera you can buy Sony's latest premium pocket camera does everything so well it sometimes feels unfair

CameralandNY (as recommended by ghostrider272) has it LINK HERE but sit down before you click the link. eek This is a serious camera, and that Zeiss lens with the 35mm equivalent of a 20 to 200mm zoom range (with Zeiss quality) doesn't come cheap!

As always here on the fire, we are here to be the best enablers we can be!

Wabigoon, spend some of your cattle baron money on this that you were NOT able to spend by visiting northern Ontario this year! Heh, heh... grin

John

Last edited by jpb; 09/29/20. Reason: spellin'
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Combine it with excellent video if that is important along with the ability to Bluetooth pics to your smartphone and and then directly to your home computer.

Lowlight capability is also excellent.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Not a large camera, one that will fit in a pocket, but take fairly good pictures.

Richard, I'm looking for a new one as well.

Gentlemen, what is the modern day equivalent of a Canon G15?

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
JPB, thanks, I've been chippin into that "fund" a bit! laugh

I like my Panasonic, the telephonic lens is getting balky.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Quick off the driveway, out the window, pic with the new camera...around 15 yards....didn't have time to mess around so used Auto...

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Does the Sony have the see through the lens?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

All the reviews I’ve read say that is the one to buy.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

This is the camera I recommended for my sister before her vacation as she wanted small size and good image quality.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Does the Sony have the see through the lens?

Has popup lens and flip screen....

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
We have a lot of good options at a variety of price points. I am here M-f 8-6 and every other Saturday. Mention 24hour and we will do the right thing for you

Joel

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000
[email protected]
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I-phone 10

Camp is where you make it.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
First, look at the sample images from the I-phone 11 Pro Max, then ask yourself if you really need to carry a digital camera also.

https://kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-11-pro-max.htm

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Comparing a cell phone to a quality point and shoot with a 1 inch sensor is like suggesting you go Deer hunting with a BB gun.

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000
[email protected]
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CameraLand
Comparing a cell phone to a quality point and shoot with a 1 inch sensor is like suggesting you go Deer hunting with a BB gun.

Have you actually looked at the sample images of the Iphone Pro Max? Compare these images with those posted on the 'fire taken with point and shoot cameras. Hardly deer hunting with a BB gun.

[Linked Image from kenrockwell.com]

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
OK, that Sony is a great camera. Sort of rich for my blood.

What's a step down in price, but still good?

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The images that were removed from my post can be found here.

https://www.kenrockwell.com/apple/iphone-11-pro-max.htm

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I tell folk that my photographic philosophy these days is to capture shots that the folk with camera phones can't. Over the last few years I've seen the gap narrow considerably. With the new gen (iphone 11 ProMax and now the 12's), I was wondering how us "old skoolers" would fare...Ken Rockwell's site answered some of my questions in part. I scanned through his 11 ProMax images, and at first glance they look great. But viewing at full resolution shows the one of the most common shortcomings; resolution of full sized images. Grain and splotches abound!

Some things that the iphone does exceptionally well is capture a high amount of dynamic range. That shot with the candles on the sidewalk is great (until you view at full res - see comment above, and did you see the ghost foot in there?). I'm fairly certain it's Apples amazing processing engine doing HDR and not the optics that do this...no other way with that microscopic sensor.

One of the other areas that Apple has encroached on DSLR's is simulating a shallow depth of field. I stumbled onto the "Portrait Mode" on my 11 and was marveling at the bokeh in that image trying to figure out how I did that. It was Apples processing that mimicked the bokeh of a wide open lens. There's even an app that takes bokeh a step further.

Replace a DSLR as Rockwell and a few other pro's have opined? For me not yet. Sports and action remain the domain of the DSLR for me (more relevant question is when will mirrorless replace DSLR's there). In spite of what Rockwell claims...lowlight remains the domain of DSLR's if you care about image quality in an image larger than phone size.

Last edited by ChrisF; 10/25/20.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 78 invisible), 2,731 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,681
Posts18,399,678
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.