Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
and if so, what did you buy?

We all have different tastes, shooting requirements and body sizes, so it is impossible to say, "Buy from SUCHANDSUCH Stocks!"

The last few years, despite the shipping charges and a so-so dollar exchange, I have been very pleased with Boyds Stocks in S.D.. I have three AT-ONE adjustable stocks, and recently bought a nice Boyds stock for my Encore. Two required fitting, but it was minor and easily done.

These are laminated. I have shimmed one AT-ONE stock using aluminum from Coke cans. Borrowing from old world gunsmiths, I shimmed a Savage action, and it shoots quite well. The trick with shims is to maintain parallelism with action, so that things like the recoil lug are not angled or canted. Years ago, when I was stationed in Germany, I chatted with a German gunsmith who told me about proper shimming. Apparently, the Swedes were very good at it, having received a lot of practice from reworking Russian made Mosin Nagants.

In fact, I have one rifle, a M91/24 Finnish Civil Guard capture rifle (Mosin Nagant) that has brass shims in a few places where the stock/action touch.

So, this long winded intro over, do you have a stock company that you prefer? I think we get most of our aftermarket stuff from the US. What do you have?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Steve;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day has treated you acceptably and this finds you well.

Currently I've got two aftermarket stocks, one of them started as a blank from Richard's Microfit in California.

Honestly I'm not sure if they're even still in business however Steve as I put this together close to 30 years ago. It's a Ruger 77 Liberty Model action, a Parker Hale barrel blank reamed to .308 Norma, with the rust bluing and stock work done myself.

[Linked Image]

The other one started as a Wildcat Composites blank. They're out of Edmonton and I've done this one on a 98 action as well as a long action Model 70 for a customer with their stocks and was completely satisfied with the service and quality.

[Linked Image]

This one is a money pit project if there ever was one - started as a .30-06, then a .270 and is now a 6.5x55. It's a between the wars commercial roll marked Mauser action, FN commercial extractor, Timney trigger, Beuhler safety, Wolffe mainspring, some fancy 2 oz bottom metal and some other stuff. It's 7lbs 4oz loaded with 5 rounds in the magazine however Steve, so it's nice to pack up here in the hills.

That's mine anyways sir.

Thanks for the thread and all the best to you this fall.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Those are nice looking rifles, Dwayne. I think that most rifles are money pits! smile

Richard's Microfit is still in business. I was glad that they raised the exemption to $500 a few years back. It was really hard buying anything from the US. You had to go through an importer.

I guess there aren't many Canadians with aftermarket stocks. Just you and me. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
McMillan Edge (1)
Brown Precision (2)
Bansner Sheep Hunter (1)
Grayboe Outlander Lightweight (1)
B&C TI take-offs (2)

Also have this English walnut from Dressel's.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
That's a lovely kooking piece of wood!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
At one time those B&C TI take-offs were quite plentiful and were one of the best buys out there for a lightweight rifle stock. I've bought them for as little as $200. I have one on my 700 LA 257Roberts. I had the bottom opened up to BDL and had to replace the factory squishy pad, but has been a fine stock otherwise.

Of all the synthetics I own, the Browns are my favourite but are hard to find here in Canada.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a hogue, 8 Ti bell and carlsons, and a couple of walnuts of unknown origin.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by SuperCub
McMillan Edge (1)
Brown Precision (2)
Bansner Sheep Hunter (1)
Grayboe Outlander Lightweight (1)
B&C TI take-offs (2)

Also have this English walnut from Dressel's.

Very nice.

Most of my aftermarket stocks are McM Hunter's edge.

They seem to fit me well and I like the clean, simple lines.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Others include a McWoody Mtn Rifle, which I like.

Have an earely B&C that I painted.

DF

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
You should send some of your rifles to your poor cousins up here. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell

Don't have nay .303's.... wink

grin

DF

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I some McMillan, H-S Precision, Bell & Carlson in use.
I personally have no real complaints with any. And don’t hesitate to use any of them. I am pretty adaptable to stocks as long as I have the length of pull close. Wait times with McMillan nudged me to try other makers.
These are on Winchester and Ruger bolt action rifles.
The Wildcat stocks look like very good stocks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Don't have nay .303's.... wink

grin

DF

Zing! smile ........ You don't see near as many 303s in the woods now as you would have 35yrs ago.

Too many cheap entry guns that are a way better choice.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Times change. I don't know if the cheap, entry level guns are a better choice, but they are inexpensive...and very plastic. 😄

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Times change. I don't know if the cheap, entry level guns are a better choice, but they are inexpensive...and very plastic. 😄

Cheap and plastic, but for the cost, man do those things shoot....!

Just tweaked a T/C Conquest for a good bud. The trigger a lot like the older M-70's and it has the three position swing M-70 type safety. Whoever designed that gun must be a M-70 fan. Impressive gun for the cost. I adjusted it to a crisp 3#'s by working with the main spring. Some dude sells a $30 spring kit. Don't need all that. Watch his tutorial and fix it yourself. Tutorial is pretty good, spring kit a rip off, IMO.

Also working with a Mauser M-18. Now that's a really nice one, well done. Barrels on both guns look great thru the Hawkeye borescope. The Mauser trigger was a crisp 4#'s, now with a metric Allen wrench, a crisp, clean 3#'s. Mounting a scope this week It's a Creed, so it'll probably shoot about anything well. I have several factory loads to try, Winchester 140 match, Horn 140 and 147 ELD-M.

DF

G
GRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have in the past had stocks from:

Boyds: laminate, very happy with the product 3 in total I think and would gladly buy from them again.
Richards MF: laminate not happy with the product 1 and never again
McMillan; fibreglass very happy with the product, 2

At present I only have one of the McMillans.

I have not purchased a Wildcat stock but have looked at them and am very impressed. At present they don't list what I want. When the time comes to get serious I'll give him a call and see if its possible to get what I want.

I should soon have pictures of the after market stock on my grandfather's D. M. Lefever 12 gauge to share with y'all.

I hope you all are well and enjoying life.

GRF

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S

Cheap and plastic, but for the cost, man do those things shoot....!

Most do, but many of the people here would argue that beauty is more important. smile I am from the functional school. I do not have too many pretty rifles. It's probably my military background. Sometimes, you can marry functional and attractive, but it is always in the eyes of the beholder.

Originally Posted by GRF
I have in the past had stocks from:

Boyds: laminate, very happy with the product 3 in total I think and would gladly buy from them again.
Richards MF: laminate not happy with the product 1 and never again
McMillan; fibreglass very happy with the product, 2

At present I only have one of the McMillans.

GRF

I think laminate stocks are a great idea. For the overwhelming majority, they are the perfect combination of ruggedness and good looks.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I have a bunch of aftermarket stocks and a few old home made stocks. I bought uninletted marksman blanks from Richards Microfit. They are big enough you can make anything out of them. For synthetic stocks I have only three hunting rifle stocks. They are a McMillan, a Bell &Carlson, a Wildcat and one from Steve Wooster who makes stocks for Silhouette rifles. On target and BR rifles I have stocks from MacMillan, Brown Precision, and Lee Six. Most of the laminated stocks are from Richards.
As far as semi-inlets are concerned, I really miss Fajen. Richards and Boyds are poor substitutes. I don't know how many stocks I got from Fajen, over the years, but it was a bunch. I liked Lee Six's stocks and miss him too. GD

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here's a laminate, a Boyd's Jon Sundra Sporter. Gun is a Pre-64 with 26" Krieger in 6.5-284 with Swaro Z5 and Jewell trigger.

Laminates tend to be heavier, but are good, solid stocks.

DF

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Here's a laminate, a Boyd's Jon Sundra Sporter. Gun is a Pre-64 with 26" Krieger in 6.5-284 with Swaro Z5 and Jewell trigger.

Laminates tend to be heavier, but are good, solid stocks.

DF

That's a good looking rifle too!

If wood is the material, I prefer laminates. What I don't get is people saying that they want a super light rifle. Remember that ultralight phase we went through a number of years ago? Every magazine had pictures of companies drilling out holes in mag boxes, reducing the amount of metal and stock material, etc. Huh?!?

I absolutely know there are times when light is right, but like the magnum craze, camo underwear and a few other things, they went overboard with lightening up rifles. Who enjoys shooting a 6.5 lb 300 WM? smile Your average male hunter, of average fitness and average body size, cannot tell the difference between 8 lb and 7 lb, and wouldn't sweat carrying an extra pound or two. I'm in my mid 60s, and have no problem carrying 9 lb Lee Enfield rifle around.

With the Boyds laminates, I know they add weight because they are replacing a plastic stock. I don't think it's an inordinate amount though, or they wouldn't be selling.

Of course, that's just me. Everyone is different.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

645 members (1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 19rabbit52, 65 invisible), 2,035 guests, and 1,183 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,243
Posts18,447,892
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.