Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, loading from the bottom works OK, especially with a hinged floorplate, but apparently not many people try it.

Or, they simply prefer loading from the top. Hinged floorplates are nice, but not required. Guess I never had the need to load 5 real fast.

My first Centerfire bolt action was a rem 700 ADL. So I got used to unloading by working the bolt. On a Mauser, there's no need to close the bolt so it's quick work to unload.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have a 3-position M70 style (make unknown) on a custom FN I picked up last Spring that works perfectly. Also had an FN with the factory wing and a pretty heavy trigger, even with a lighter spring. After checking with Timney, I installed one of theirs with the side, trigger-blocking safety, but left the wing in place. I can lock the bolt with the sear disengaged, block the trigger, or both, with no conflict, and the pull with the Timney is very nice. Had a couple of Buehlers in the past, but always preferred the wing on the left side, where it could be flipped off almost like cocking an external hammer, with my thumb falling into place on the grip, just not quietly.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, loading from the bottom works OK, especially with a hinged floorplate, but apparently not many people try it.

Since you say so, JB, I'll believe it.

But I'm not going to try it. My fingers have enough to do loading from the top.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
^^^^^This

CJC73 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The most I ever load is 2 in the magazine. one in the chamber. Simple to do, open the floor plate, drop two in and close it up.

IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I’ve put on three of the Dakotas with nothing more than a Dremel. It’s pretty easy.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Never thought about loading a bolt gun from the bottom.

I guess you could turn it upside down, open the floor plate, drop in the rounds, close the floor plate.

Hopefully have them all turned the right way. 😉

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by z1r

Or, you can install an aftermarket trigger like the Timney with a trigger block safety for a little over $100.

And a commercial bolt shroud................looks good.

But I prefer the Dakota 3-pos wing safety, but they are expensive.

MM

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I'll just keep loading mine the way they were designed to be loaded.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WTF
I'll just keep loading mine the way they were designed to be loaded.

With stripper clips?
grin

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
IC B3

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Sometimes

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I guess I understand the push to lock the bolt. I've never thought that was a big deal, prefer to load and unload my rifles with the safety engaged.

To me, choosing between locking the bolt or loading/unloading on safe with a two position safety, I'll go with the latter.

YMMV

DF

I hear you, but I prefer to have the bolt locked on safe. When unloading, you are "at risk" for only a few seconds between disengaging the safety and opening the bolt. After that, you never have to close the bolt to unload a controlled feed rifle "through the action." (For that matter, if you orient the rifle correctly, you can unload even a push feed rifle through the action without ever closing the bolt.) It is easy enough to point the rifle in a safe direction for the few seconds between disengaging the safety and opening the bolt. If you are truly worried about the rifle going off when you disengage the safety, you have an issue you really need to address. That said, to each his own.

Gun Doc

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by z1r

Or, they simply prefer loading from the top. Hinged floorplates are nice, but not required. Guess I never had the need to load 5 real fast.

My first Centerfire bolt action was a rem 700 ADL. So I got used to unloading by working the bolt. On a Mauser, there's no need to close the bolt so it's quick work to unload.

If you orient the rifle correctly, you can unload even a push feed rifle through the action without ever closing the bolt. Point the muzzle straight up, then push the bolt forward only as far as necessary to strip the cartridge from the magazine. At this point, even if the rifle has a "tight" chamber, the cartridge is not yet seated in the chamber. Retract the bolt and allow the cartridge to fall out of the action. Repeat until the rifle is unloaded.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Best option ship it to Jim Kobe, he just did three for me, I had him do the model 70 type swing safety. the Buehler is fine but in the safe position they are always tucked right up against the scope and are pain IMO, the swing ends the discussion. Jim does awesome work, and will see more of my mausers!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (10gaugemag, 358WCF, 673, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 30Gibbs, 15 invisible), 1,678 guests, and 887 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.