Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
yar Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I purchesed 2 rifles from a gentelmen in my area recentely one is a Mannlicher stocked 7x57 Paul Jeager and the other is a commercial FN 7MM Mag. The Mannlicher is marked "Paul Jeager Jenkintown Pa" on the barrel just like 2 others I own .The FN is not marked as such. I also own a custom 270 1903 built by Jeager that does not have the barrel marking but I have the original Bill for it. So I need opionions on this one to help confirm its authinticity. Both me and the original owner live within 20 miles of Jeager original shop. Its not uncommon for me to come accross Jeager rifles that come up for sale around here. I recognize the floor plate carving as Willig and some other attributes that lead me to beleave its most likelyJeager. I just liked to get some other opionions.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by yar; 10/03/20.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it’s a phony, better send it to me!!!

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
yar Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I knew it ! wink

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If it’s not one of Paul Jaeger’s, it is a very close stylistic copy. I spent a lot of time in his shop in the 70s and it sure looks like his work.

yar Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I also was there many times . My Dad left me a very nice example. I credit a lot of my rifle lust to those visits. The fit and finish is right on par . I never understood while some of the rifles were not marked as Jeager

Last edited by yar; 10/03/20.
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Don’t have any idea who built it, but it sure is a gorgeous rifle.

yar Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
The wood is absolutely incredible. Dark black walnut that comes alive in the light . The butt plate and grip cap are hand checkered. The rifle is sleek and classy without being overly ornate.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C

Good morning Ray,

Sleek & Classy for sure.

What finish did Jeager use?

Best,

Chuck

yar Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My examples have been oil finished. I would assume since he was old world trained that he used that almost exclusively. Whether he experimented with different finishes would only be a guess on my part. This particular rifle has a highly built up finish with accents the dark figured would perfectly. Maybe someone may chime in with more insight.

Last edited by yar; 10/04/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow, just wow.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

yar Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Only marks on the receiver are the Belgian proof marks and serial number. The Barrel is marked 7 mm Rem. And 7mm on the bottom near receiver.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Beautiful rifle!
Did you Pull the butt plate off to check for a marking?

yar Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Yes not a mark under it

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Damn
Well, I guess I wont be much help!

yar Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It was a great suggestion.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That is one of the nicest looking rifles I have ever seen, everything on it just flows together so well and the wood is awesome. I keep coming back to this thread just to admire the lines of it.

Congratulations on acquiring that one.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

yar Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
My pics do it no justice. Poor lighting so you can’t see the depth of the wood in the finish . It’s been well cared for and I doubt it Has been fielded. The engraver and the styling along with the fit and finish leads to Jeager as the past owner claims. I was hoping to confirm it further by some type of markings that were not visible until pulled apart . I’m hoping for some more experienced input.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beautiful rifle! How about some pics of the Full stock Jeager for some more eye candy.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
An interesting rifle! My ‘wag’, definitely subject to better action photos – closer & clearer. More angles.
The action is an FN commercial, distinguished as the Model 300 from late forties to latter fifties. Such differing from the later “Supreme” model 400, displacing the 300 in late fifties/early sixties. The rifle bears proof marks indicating it was shipped at least as barreled action, facilitating the firing achieving proof.
The Remington 7mm Mag, introduced in ‘62 as I recall, potentially too late for the early action with such as barreled from the FN factory. Further that chambering uncommon for their rifles/barreled actions, controlled by Firearms International exclusive US importer (part of Interarms).
Further, bit unusual for FN factory to ship essentially production rifles/barreled actions without sights in that era. The style of rifle, if originally with sights, a pity removed! Net wag that Jaeger might have rebarreled it. Or not!

The stock to me probably European design, more specifics??? The fact as viewable, svelte rather than ‘clunky’. Nice! I’m not comfortable with the bolt handle as viewable. Doesn’t look FN factory. Perhaps the camera angle. Visible non-originality would concern me considerably as value hit. Reserving judgment pending producing better pix! The scope mounts, totally amateur guess perhaps B&L??? Most others here to better identify. Such also relating to rifle mfg ‘era’.
From my perspective, Jaeger as maker, ‘perhaps’ adding something when marked. That said, a nicely detailed rifle, speaking for itself. The O/Ps home area likely adding far more ‘locality’ probability and perhaps adding 'name recognition 'click', than the same name of half century ago prominence on the West Coast. I’m familiar from the era and rep as advertised in American Rifleman, Gun Magazine, etc. fifties plus.

I’m fairly familiar with FN commercial postwar mauser actions and with more than a few myself. Also, Husqvarna capitalizing on such with relatively large number of Stateside bound rifles. Even Sears & Wards, in on the FN action with High Standard chrome barrels utilized!

Nice FN rifles, always ‘ineresting’ But just now, body reminding more interest in bed and zzz’s! smile
I shall return. Hopefully more pix… Please!
Best & Stay Safe!
John

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Beautiful rifle! How about some pics of the Full stock Jeager for some more eye candy.

x2!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
114 members (338reddog, 32_20fan, 01Foreman400, 35, 10gaugeman, 257robertsimp, 8 invisible), 1,442 guests, and 717 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,889
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.