OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My post was not meant to sally the reputation of any seller. The intent was to point out that low resolution photos make the stamps look odd. I publicly apologize for any remark that may have been interpreted to the contrary.

Last edited by knivesforme; 10/01/20.

If your a leftist, whatever Donald Trump says or does, that pisses you off rest assured, I am a Happy Camper!
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
First, in the reference we are viewing, 'purporting' a quite expensive/expensive rifle. A question right off the bat, IF truly as photos intended to suggest, is that a reasonable price? If not, no real need to proceed farther in purchase consideration. For anylitics here, moving forward.
Second, before even viewing the generally less than mediocre quality & qualtity photos, consider the written "manifestations" concerning the rifle. Basically offering description... NOT! More requiring bidders view the photos and determine their own opinion/decision. Well... In a good Internet ad, the seller presumably with huge advantage of "hands on" and on high value gun, to share/put to rest all the questions concerning condition/originality/authenticity.
Buyers 'reasonably' depending on such description. Where a "you decide" proposition, seems to me the seller already decided and unhappily so! Not to risk any assertions of correctness, originality, etc. The "written description" ad area, more of humorous! Several lines pertaining to the gun generally... Followed by long paragraph of conditions and disclaimers. This seller, not just silence. Affirmatively disassociating himself from about any representations concerning the rifle. Certainly, concerning much of anything beyond "rifle"!

A rifle in this category demanding quality photos; a plethora! The buyer, as noted, not just being referred to the photos! Pretty lousy photos as well! For $20K I'd want to see that barreled action out of stock and the markings. Particularly under-barrel breech! An original barrel should have a year marking! So, to this point, hard to see the poorly depicted forest for the multi-red flags waiving! I'm not even sure of the serial number! Guessing 82K and thus second action variation. The angular shot of the chambering markings, for no apparent "good" reason, presuming "bad" reason. Such as apparent misallignment with main nomenclature. Excepting: Because the .35 Remington did use a separate roll die, from main associated nomenclature, such misallignment is possible.) The fact of the angular photo, a bizzare shot likely a lot more effort than 'straight-on'! Presumably the barrel should be the earlier style with integral forged front sight ramp. No way to tell here.
Really, more analysis possible, but not in my Hercule Poirot mood tonight; not up for it.

'Concluding opine'' and just that. While yet 'could' be legit, looking qustionable. Pinging on the whole ad presentation, disclaimers, poor quality, inadequate photos... If the seller understood value of a genuine Model 70 .35 Remington, they should also have the acumen to document, document, document and share, share, shar. Finally, to put their own reputaiton behind a $20K - or more sale! Such, final shoe the lister/seller themselves. Not just non-committal, seeking to divorce from liability! Appearance of at least strong suspicions of non-genuime product. One thing by disclaimers to avoid legal liabilities, quite another sullying one's reputation with strong suggestion/appearance of unethical behavior.

My opinions here and definite take!
Best & Keep Safe
John

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The pictures suck for a $800 rifle. Enough said.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Speaking of the 35 Remington. I killed my 1st deer of the year yesterday morning with my Remington 141 in 35.

IC B2

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The whole listing smells

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by szihn
Speaking of the 35 Remington. I killed my 1st deer of the year yesterday morning with my Remington 141 in 35.

Continuing the aside momentarily. Congrats on that rifle and.... 'hat's off' salute to the 141!
A great rifle. Combo of master John Pedersen design, substantially all milled components and Remington prewar 'era' workmanship. Add the .35 Rem chambering; a winning combo of not just a great cartridge, but the only remaining of the 141 four chamberings still a production cartridge. A grossly underappreciated little gem!
Best & Stay Safe!
John

Last edited by iskra; 10/04/20.
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by WTF
The whole listing smells

“ FYI, I am the only accredited, certified firearm appraiser in the USA and have 45 years experience. ”

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by WTF
The whole listing smells

“ FYI, I am the only accredited, certified firearm appraiser in the USA and have 45 years experience. ”

Yep, that part especially.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

708 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 72 invisible), 3,287 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,269
Posts18,467,332
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.