Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
My grandmother was a Canadian citizen born and raised. My mother was born in Canada but after and currently lives in the states. She also went thru naturalization in the US.

My question is that according to the Canadian immigration website im most likely eligible for Canadian citizenship since my mom is a citizen. I would need to formally apply and am unsure about the cost. But I'd like to know if its worth the red tape or cost.

Im a US citizen but have relatives in Canada as well. Should I go thru with it or just scrap the idea?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are a Canadian citizen. You can 'apply' to have your citizenship verified, but getting a CDN passport is really the only advantage to that.

If you were to seek to enter Canada, all you'd need to do is provide evidence that your mother is a Canadian citizen (her passport or birth certificate) and your birth certificate showing that she is your mother. That would satisfy an officer that you are Canadian as well, and you enter Canada by right.

Having a document showing that you are CDN expedites crossing by a bit (and not having to carry the birth certificates, etc) but other than that you're entitled to everything that a Canadian citizen is already.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Rackmastr;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope all is well with you and yours.

If I'm not mistaken, are you the same Rackmastr from which I bought a Mystery Ranch pack frame a whole bunch of years ago? It was a black Camelback labeled one.

Anyways, if that was you, it's been too long since I've said hello and the pack is still being used and works fine. Now the old guy to which the pack is strapped is another matter entirely sir! I've got to say closing on 60 is a little different than closing on 50 was! grin

Should I be mistaking your identity for another, I do apologize, but regardless I hope you have a good season out there in the Kootenays.

All the best to you this Thanksgiving as well.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

W
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W
As a dual citizen, how do you stand on paying taxes? And collecting social insurance, social security?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Same one Dwayne!!

Havent been around here for a while. Having a great season so far, including helping a couple buddies in Southern AB with archery antelope tags. Have a trip planned to Northern AB with a good buddy for a week and it should be a lot of fun chasing whitetails up there again.

Wearing a Stone Glacier these days and I hear ya on the age creeping up slowly but surely haha.

All the best, and if you're ever out Cranbrook way let me know!

Trev

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Rackmastr:
Thanks for the reply and update sir!

Good to hear you're still knocking about the mountains and in the "pursuit of protein" game as well.

Part of my issue is that I've been a bit of a First Aid guy too, so now I have a couple different tourniquets, an Israeli bandage.... well you know how it is, the "must have" gear list keeps growing so the pack gets heavier. blush

Good luck on the rest of your hunts and for sure the Alberta whitetail one, bring back a northern Dakota subspecies giant!

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I’m a dual citizen Richard, pay taxes in both countries—collect social security—all 300 bucks of it—as well as Canada Pension Plan. Got the stimulus package from both countries too.
Sittin in some Tall Cotten here I tell ya

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Canada is a great place with great people, but still is a foreign country.

Strange feeling to be unarmed there...they DO have their share of psychos regardless of the official and unofficial propaganda.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by wabigoon
As a dual citizen, how do you stand on paying taxes? And collecting social insurance, social security?

Paying taxes or social services is fine with me as long as its used for improvement or sustaining the commons. If I made more money I dont mind paying more in as long as it doesn't undercut purchasing power. Typically, I am used to paying 60k+ in income taxes so it doesn't get any worse for me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SheriffJoe

Canada is a great place with great people, but still is a foreign country.

Strange feeling to be unarmed there...they DO have their share of psychos regardless of the official and unofficial propaganda.

At this point in time i would pose that the psychos are concentrated within the government. The people are just folks.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
My wife became a CDN citizen in 2004 after 28 years as a landed immigrant. there was an application fee of $240 and she was given a citizenship card after which she applied for a CDN passport

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yeah, the victims are more often than not...just folks:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/...-mass-shooting-officials-expect-n1188471

Fredricton, NB August 2020 psycho, Quebec City, Edmonton, Mayerthorpe, ALB, Calgary, etc.

Scary.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by the_shootist
My wife became a CDN citizen in 2004 after 28 years as a landed immigrant. there was an application fee of $240 and she was given a citizenship card after which she applied for a CDN passport

I wonder what the government charges for two citizenship cards? laugh

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
One of the reasons I consider this beside that i have relation there is that im about 100 mi from the border. Close proximity makes it one reason for this.

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
i was there for a while, as a daily 'visitor', then on an 'indigent student' visa (LOL), then moved back just a few months after they forced me to attain 'landed' status, one of my kids is a 'dual'...i'll never be the same

Last edited by sse; 10/07/20.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

O
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
O
Thats a question I still have. That is if I can be a dual citizen or would I have to give up citizenship elsewhere.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
You can be a dual citizen. The ability to work on either side of the border is one advantage,ease of travel might be another, and the ability to vote in both countries would be one more.
My wife has been in Canada for 48 years as a landed immigrant and can't get a PR card or citizenship because her middle name was spelled wrong on her immigration papers in 1972 (no fault, just the way it is). So, she and I travel on US passports. GD

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You are a dual citizen right now and would enter Canada by right, so long as you could show that proof at the border. Zero issues there and you don't have to give up anything. Doing the paperwork just gives you a certificate but at any land border with proof that your mother is a CDN citizen you would enter by right as a CDN citizen as of today.

Nice to have a certificate for future plans like work, etc if you had plans. Not hard to prove at all either.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Depending if you travel internationally a lot, doing it on a Canadian passport can save you some trouble in some countries. Everybody likes friendly Canadian, Americans not so much. The closest I've come to Canadian citizenship was on a flight from London to Dublin, I talked to some Canadian from Toronto about hockey and Don Cherry and they anointed me an honorary Canadian. smile

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

213 members (12344mag, 160user, 338reddog, 35, 300jimmy, 2UP, 23 invisible), 1,662 guests, and 894 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,598
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.