Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
As I am settling into a new residence with an 11' room, I am planning to wall mount some heavier trophies. I prefer studs and have looked at the Timber-Loc
system which appears to be well thought out.
But I want to see what others here are using for the heavier mounts - my elk weighs 27 #'s.
Thanks in advance.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
BP-B2

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
My heavies go into studs with conventional hangers. The lighter ones (<50#) hang from "padded-pro professional picture hangers" (Home Depot) in sheetrock.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a room that I have a lot of heavy stuff mounted on. I found that there isn't always a stud where you need it and when you are done things aren't spaced right.
I put up 3/4" plywood over two walls and covered it with nice paneling. I can put a screw anywhere I want and know it will hold.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
I have a room that I have a lot of heavy stuff mounted on. I found that there isn't always a stud where you need it and when you are done things aren't spaced right.
I put up 3/4" plywood over two walls and covered it with nice paneling. I can put a screw anywhere I want and know it will hold.

Good idea.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My elk hang from lag screws in studs

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks fellas for your ideas.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Godlogs57 is right. If a 3/8” lag bolt in a stud doesn’t work , you may have operator error or worse problems, just saying. 2x6 turned flatwise on 16” centers and lag bolts make it pretty simple and gives a lot of options . 3/4 plywood is unnecessary expense. 1/2 “ osb works fine if it makes you feel better. A big bull elk is heavy and awkward to hang. 3/8 lag bolt will hang anything.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I put a French cleat all the way across the wall in a stairwell. Antlers on thick plaques can be moved around easily, even moose. A wedge in the bottom of the slot would guarantee it cannot come off.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
For my elk I just used a 5/16" reisser lag into a stud, seemed solid enough, sure enjoy having the memory of that hunt hanging on the wall!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
3/8" lag bolts into studs for my elk and sheep here.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
https://www.homedepot.com/p/FLIPTOGGLE-1-4-in-x-2-1-2-in-Toggle-Bolt-10-Pack-425R/206347693

These are the only way to go. When I did construction and things didn’t line up for grab bars or something we’d use these. They hold over 130lbs in 1/2” drywall. I used them in my new house when my kids pulled the towel rack off the wall.

Pick where you want to put something and hang it. Don’t worry about a stud with these. I’ll never be without them because they work too well for lots of things. When you’re done with them just pull the screw, poke them into the wall, and a little dab of mud covers it.

Word to the wise, buy the bigger box that has 20 or so in it. You’ll use them for all kinds of stuff.

Attached Images
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
...Don’t worry about a stud with these...

When mounting heavy stuff on a wall it is only prudent to find the stud.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pal

Did you even look at what I posted? If you’re hanging 20-30lbs of near vertical load you’ll be more than fine. Not to mention it’s legal to use more than one at a time. There are a lot of ways to do it; these just happen to be a better mousetrap.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pal

Did you even look at what I posted? If you’re hanging 20-30lbs of near vertical load you’ll be more than fine. Not to mention it’s legal to use more than one at a time. There are a lot of ways to do it; these just happen to be a better mousetrap.

Not trying to start an argument--stated "when mounting heavy stuff", as in the OP's "Big game" premise, which most likely falls well outside "20-30 lbs of near vertical" load, but might be fine for something like my 32-1/2 lb Tyee Club salmon mount.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Neither am I, so that probably came out a little hot. I was just going by the weight he stated in the original post. Would I hang 100lbs of anything on one of them, no. But I would on 2 if evenly supported. To be honest I hung a clothing bar on 2 of them just to test it at our store. I did a pull up on it just to see if it would support who knows how much weight my wife would hang on it. It held me fine and I weigh 200lbs. I wouldn’t do that every day, or leave something that heavy on it, but I’d be comfortable with half that.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by pal

Especially if you are in an actve seismic area.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
These aren't exactly a new concept or product (decades old) .....and work well within reason. Sometimes "find a stud" (my preference) just isn't an option.

The little plastic pointy "screw anchors", however, are next to useless for much of anything.

Last edited by las; 10/11/20.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cwh2
Originally Posted by pal

Especially if you are in an actve seismic area.

Beat me to it...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pal

I just look in the mirror...
wink

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
As I am settling into a new residence with an 11' room, I am planning to wall mount some heavier trophies. I prefer studs and have looked at the Timber-Loc
system which appears to be well thought out.
But I want to see what others here are using for the heavier mounts - my elk weighs 27 #'s.
Thanks in advance.

I use the Timber-Loc mount which is top notch. You won’t regret using those.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
676 members (1Akshooter, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,907 guests, and 1,422 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,670
Posts18,399,478
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.