Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
VEK, I like your style. If i wanted an ls engine and 4l60e, id buy a newer gm truck with that. Giving up on a nice chevy small block and a super cheap sm-465/np 205 is silly. That's some millennial bullsht right there:

"do an ls swap"

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
It came with a new 4 barrel Edelbrock carb, and evidently I’m getting a gutted 350 (the original engine) along with everything. He game me a set of LED headlights for it today that we’re $250. I could part it out and make way more money than I paid for it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The 67-72’s are definitely cool, but damn they’ve gotten pricey. Even clapped out 1st gen K5’s are getting some bucks.

M- Ain’t no bullchit about it. A solid take out 5.3 would likely be cheaper than a basic rebuild, make more power, get better mileage and be more reliable.

Millennial. Pffft...... I‘m an X ya donkey. Lol.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Madmooner,
Yep, they are smooth, efficient engines. I seriously doubt the conversion would be cheaper than what he already has.

Lots of unforseen costs with conversions, not to mention it will be used stuff:

Custom drivelines, crossmebers, possibly custom motor mounts. To freshen up his chevy small block, why that's about the most affordable engine to work on. My 1968 327 got a cheap reman quadrajet carb. Has run perfect ever since. 700r4s, th400s and sm 465 4 speeds all run about $1000-$1200 for a reman unit. L s swaps are overrated.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 10/13/20.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
5.3 is a good wat to go. Easy to find and run decent. Trying to get a 36 Chevy truck bought that would make a nice home for that 327

Just because you're offended doesn't mean your right.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I haven’t decided if I’ll pull the 327 and drop a 350 in it or not.

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Refresh that 350...dished flattop pistons if needed, manage deck height for quench, Isky 214 mega cam, Vortec heads and intake. Would make an awesome blazer engine, with more low end than a 5.3 LS. Fun project for a kid too.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oklahomahunter
I’m looking at buying a fairly clean 84 K5 Blazer. The body’s pretty straight, there is some rust that can be fixed by cleaning and glassing it, and most of the electrical works....motor has some issues, and the trans is original...

Be patient and watch for a better truck to start with.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pal
I’m looking at buying a fairly clean 84 K5 Blazer. The body’s pretty straight, there is some rust that can be fixed by cleaning and glassing it, and most of the electrical works....motor has some issues, and the trans is original...

I don’t think you’ll get much better for $1800.

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pal

You'd be way ahead paying a bit more and getting a vehicle that doesn't need a motor (plus bodywork, paint and electrical).

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have an 83 K5 pretty cancerous body, 350 ci 4 bolt main, sm465, and np 205. It has been parked for several years in 100 miles NW
of Lamar Colorado, I'd let it go cheap if somone from Oklahoma showed up with trailer. A lot of electrical issues, needed a clutch and tub when parked.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by pal

You'd be way ahead paying a bit more and getting a vehicle that doesn't need a motor (plus bodywork, paint and electrical).

After putting it on a lift and really digging through it there isn’t much body work that’s needed. The electrical isn’t much of an issue either. I pulled the carpet and most all of the floor is in very good shape. The motor needs tuned but seems to still run well. The trans shifts correctly and has all the gears.

What I’ve figured out is they had a cobbled up bracket for the throttle and trans cable which was causing the lack of power and shifting problems. I’m rebuilding/modifying a new bracket. I may rebuild the original 350 that came with it and then drop it in later.

As to being cheaper or better off looking elsewhere I’d still disagree. The comparable K5’s that I’ve found within several hundred miles of me are about 3X the price and they’re in no better shape.

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by taylorce1
I have an 83 K5 pretty cancerous body, 350 ci 4 bolt main, sm465, and np 205. It has been parked for several years in 100 miles NW
of Lamar Colorado, I'd let it go cheap if somone from Oklahoma showed up with trailer. A lot of electrical issues, needed a clutch and tub when parked.

Man, I really don’t think my wife would be overly enthused with me dragging another blazer into my driveway. I’m about out of room as it is. I don’t know what’s going to happen when my daughter starts driving and I’ve got 5 vehicles.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My 89 k5 I did a full roller 383 running origonal tbi
It runs and drives really well lots of power
If I had it to do over I would just build a mild cam 350
The tbi 350 with a cam change really run good and will live over 300 k easy. But this day and age I would be tempted to do an LS. But the old sbc look much better without all the electronic crap

Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
I ended up going with the 350, decent cam, long tube headers, and lots of other new parts. Mainly because they were cheap to replace. It runs great and turns a lot of heads. Now this winter I’ll start working on the body.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don’t need a hot rod but mainly just a somewhat reliable vehicle my son can drive when he turns 16 in 5 or so years. I want to use this as a lesson for him in working on vehicles.

What a cool project for you and your son. Those are really fun rigs.

I had a 1971 with 350/350 and 205 that was one of my favorite vehicles. Not the same body style obviously but a good rig for various uses.

Last edited by 4th_point; 10/30/21.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Sasha_and_Abby
that's why I QUIT driving GM vehicles...

Yeah, they are weak...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

714 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 72 invisible), 3,133 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,268
Posts18,467,295
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.