Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I know that I am old school but heck I am old.....give me a set of Starrett or Brown & Sharp dial calipers and I am happy as a pig in slop. I do use digital calipers in my wood shop because of saw dust getting into the track of a dial caliper. I hate the digital ones as it seems like when ever I want to use them, the battery is always dead.

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by salmonhead
I am in need of a replacement digital caliper. My current Lymans seem to have too much slop in them, but beyond that, they will intermittently loose zero. typically by .200, occasinally by .400. really messes with a guy.

Not afraid to spend what is necessary.

I saw the Mitutoyo recommended somewhere. When I looked them up, prices range from about $40 online to a couple hundred for the same model number. Any indication something isnt right there?

Any other suggestions? I dont like why the price is so variable, seems fishy.

I have the same problem with Hornady digital's.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
These simply work. Really like the 8" size for the "grip" when opened up, especially with comparators installed. Not a hiccup in 5 years. Give me hell if you want, they come with chopsticks.

https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-100-200-8-Electronic-Fractional-Protection/dp/B0056OETWA

I've had the Frankford Arsenal ones for years; they've worked great and for $25:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101271926?pid=604242

The only thing I don't like is no auto off so as some mentioned, it's a PITA if you left them on and find out it's dead when you go to use it. I learned and just keep several batteries around.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My cousin got a patent on the Mitutoyo digital coolant proof calipers, so I bought them when they came out. I really like them. They turn off when not in use. Cheap digital that do not time out are not worth the trouble of always getting new batteries.

I have over 20 calipers from $20 Chinese to expensive Starrett.

I think the best a guy could do for calipers for cheap, is get the $20 Chinese 6" dial calipers and some pin gauges or gauge blocks for practice.
Practice wiping off the caliper jaws before measuring. Have the jaws perpendicular to the object being measured. Apply constant force. Keep measuring until you get the reading written on the gauge.

When you get good with a dial caliper, you can interpolate between the 0.001" marks, and get readings with 0.0002" resolution.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by M1Garand
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
These simply work. Really like the 8" size for the "grip" when opened up, especially with comparators installed. Not a hiccup in 5 years. Give me hell if you want, they come with chopsticks.

https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-100-200-8-Electronic-Fractional-Protection/dp/B0056OETWA

I've had the Frankford Arsenal ones for years; they've worked great and for $25:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101271926?pid=604242

The only thing I don't like is no auto off so as some mentioned, it's a PITA if you left them on and find out it's dead when you go to use it. I learned and just keep several batteries around.

That one I linked has auto off and is many steps up from something like the Harbor Freight, which I consider a bit too crude for reloading, but, have and use as well. And is absolute origin. Works like a charm. This is the correct link.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00INL0BTS/ref=psdcmw_2476630011_t3_B001AQEZ2W?th=1&psc=1

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have digital calipers from Frankford Arsenal (my first set), iGaging Absolute Origin and an Mitutoyo ABS Dogmatic. They all work fine for general reloading needs where being a little off in measurements is acceptable. Just my opinion, the Mitutoyo calipers have a better feel and have more forgiving jaw for reloading especially when measuring OAL sp bullets. Based on comparisons using a certified gauge blocks and pins, the Mitutoyo also measures more consistently. I also have a couple of different analog calipers which also do not compare with the Mitutoyo. A friend who is a tool and die maker uses this model caliper and has for several years. I'd spend the extra bucks and get the Mitutoyo.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What does more forgiving jaw mean?

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Originally Posted by Spotshooter

Mitutoyo digital calipers and don’t look back.

This ^^^^^^^^

Life's Tough, God's Good, Pray Hard!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Or buy a good set of dial calipers, learn how to use them, and never have to buy a battery again. grin...

Yup. I was scratching my head about losing zero until the word digital registered in my brain. My 40+ year old set of cheap Chinee dial calipers lost zero once by about .002" & was reset in about 20 seconds. I've used them almost daily. They've been dropped on wood as well as concrete floors, been frozen & above 100* for long periods, never had a battery go dead at the worst possible moment, & just keep on ticking. Zero is checked every use, & there are some standards around here somewhere if it really matters. A thousandth here or there on ammunition isn't of much concern for most of us. Calipers are for quick checks, micrometers are for more precise measurement.

A machinist I know suggested buying 2 or 3 cheap dial calipers for less than the price of a "good" set for daily use & not worry about throwing them away if they wear or break. There are still 2 spares in the cabinet. The more expensive measuring devices in my toolbox were also subject to almost the same use with a little more care, but could be a bigger loss to drop one of them on concrete.

Sacred cows make good burgers when you know what temperature to cook them at.-Rev. Billy
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

look here...

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have three calipers and two micrometers. I probably use my good dial calipers the most. The cheap calipers - one is plastic with a dial the other is aluminum has a scale and is getting harder too read in my later years. But when precision is needed - micrometers.

It is my belief that digital calipers give a false sense of accuracy.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Whttail, what I meant by more forgiving jaws, is that the jaws of the Mitutoyo are better machined and it is easier to hold a measurement better without wandering a few thousandth's up and down. It is noticeably easier to measure COAL especially with spitzer type bullets using the Mitutoyo than with my other digital calipers. I do have a pair of analog calipers I like pretty well but it is no where as quick as the digital Mitutoyo.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Bugger
I have three calipers and two micrometers. I probably use my good dial calipers the most. The cheap calipers - one is plastic with a dial the other is aluminum has a scale and is getting harder too read in my later years. But when precision is needed - micrometers.

It is my belief that digital calipers give a false sense of accuracy.

When I went to the "College of Knowledge", that school and my old German boss reminded us ad nauseam, that Micrometers were called "ums" using an cymbal I can't draw on a keyboard pronounced "Mew".
That is your useless information for the day............

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,316 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,616
Posts18,454,956
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.