Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sse
Originally Posted by rem141r
i'm afraid if i use one i will start wearing flannel pajamas and holding my oversized cup in both hands

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Is this a young Paul Bernard?

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Gay people do.

People that enjoy a mani pedi and are into interior design....in other words.

Jim, it's your Travis fascination, that gets you in trouble !

whistle

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Gay people do.

People that enjoy a mani pedi and are into interior design....in other words.

Pretty sure this is how the duck of doom, makes her dessert coffee !

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Up until recently I would have gone along with what most of you are saying.
I went on a duck hunt with some friends and after getting set up one guy pulled out his Jetboil and started boiling water for coffee. He had the coffee press attachment for it and used it. Best darn coffee I've ever had in a duck blind. I went to buy one when I got home but they don't make one for my MiniMo.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Way more time and work I want to expend. Besides, what's wrong with Mr. Coffee and a helping of Yuban?

Works just fine for me. (But then, I ain't upscale and yuppyized. ) grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
"one guy pulled out his Jetboil and started boiling water for coffee."

This is what i have. Its all in about the size of a thermos minus the water. Fresh hot coffee anywhere, anytime.

Last edited by bigwoods; 10/08/20.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Quick tip, Use the French Press when loading 8mm Lebel.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

when I get up at 0600

I want coffee.........

so the drip does it fast

camping ?

I can wait for the french press

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've bought my wife a few presses. Glass ones end up breaking. Latest is a nice stainless one from Amazon. No filters, but you have to clean out the grounds and I know some people who won't drink it as it can increase their cholesterol a tiny bit. According to some research.

Currently the press is collecting dust, as we use a cheap drip maker, and most recently the K-banger pods.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I have had a couple of french presses over the years. Got a percolator or two in the cabinets. I found that grinding my beans just before I make my coffee makes a better cup of joe than the actual method of brewing. When my Cuisinart gives up the ghost I guess that I will buy me another. Love great coffee.

Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes,food stamps, free section 8 housing, a forty oz malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordans and he'll vote Democrat for life.
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I can't stand a keurig cup. I'd rather drink the most rot-gut, 24 hr old truck stop coffee than a keurig. And I've drank plenty of truck stop coffee

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
For what those Keurig cups cost I can brew a half pot of good coffee, drink what I want, throw the rest away and come out ahead flavor and money wise.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I use a French press, glass body. Grind my beans extra fine and fresh right before adding water. I let it sit for 20min under a cozy before a single plunge. I drink coffee for the flavour, strong and black is the only way for me and I find the French press does the best job of that.

Pitter Patter!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
I can't stand a keurig cup. I'd rather drink the most rot-gut, 24 hr old truck stop coffee than a keurig. And I've drank plenty of truck stop coffee

I would disagree with that. But, my taste buds might not be as refined as yours.

From what I have experienced, you can get the same spectrum of coffee with a K-banger machine as you can with other methods of making coffee. From good to bad.

Last edited by 4th_point; 10/10/20.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mathman
For what those Keurig cups cost I can brew a half pot of good coffee, drink what I want, throw the rest away and come out ahead flavor and money wise.

I thought the exact same thing, for the past several years, no BS. I was against the whole system. It made absolutely no sense to my technical mind. It wasn't until we got a free Keurig machine a few months ago that it has changed my opinion.

For one, there's really nothing to clean let alone rinse, at least on a daily basis. Yeah, I agree... not a big deal. But I like to keep a fairly clean pot/carafe and basket, so there's a little time spent there. None with the K-banger machine.

Second, you can have a house full of people with the cup of coffee that they like best. No suffering some pot of brew that you simply do not like. Another win for the K-banger.

Third, if I make too much in the dripper/press/perc then I suffer through it. Whether it's scorched on the hot plate of the dripper, or getting skanky in an insulated carafe, it's not as good as a fresh brew. I drink it, as I am too cheap to pour it down the drain. Or, simply hit the brew button on the K-banger machine, and I have exactly what I want within seconds. Win, again, for the K-banger machine.

And, a big win for me is that I might be working around the house in the afternoon and want a quick pick-me-up. Do I really want to set up the dripper? Or, babysit the perc? [bleep] no. Hit the button on the K-banger, and I've got exactly what I want and keep going with my projects.

I like it, but is it the Star Trek food replicator? No. But I can have a dang good mug of coffee, quick. And can still run a dripper, press, or perc as needed.

In other words... it's not an either/or. Unless we simply want it that way. I got them all grin

Last edited by 4th_point; 10/10/20.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
if it makes ya happy

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My father in law gets cases of k-cups at the food bank.
They seem to never run out, usually Starbucks Pikes Peak,
sometimes a dark roast.

When I fill my carousel, and notice the for poor getting empty,
I tell him. In a week or so I get a case of two.

At the best possible price.

Otherwise I bought them at Ollies.
The problem there is changing brands and types.
Find the one you prefer, then they don't have it anymore.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Since you don't have a French press, you can "try it" at home, and see if you like it. Boil some water in a sauce pan, turn off heat when boiling is reached. Add the desired amount of coffee you like (~1 tspn/cup of water). Stir, and let soak/extraction develop for 4-5 minutes. Grounds will largely settle out on the bottom. Decant/pour without disturbing settled grounds through a coffee filter into your coffee cup. Viola! Done.

I was given a French press as a present years ago ( don't know the brand). I use it on/off depending on my desire to try something else ( I'm a percolator guy). My french press makes very good coffee. I guess it is supposed to give a more complex taste of coffee. It is a very simple device, which can be cheaply "test driven" with the sauce pan/coffee filter technique. If you like the flavor, or notice a difference, get one.

"Behavior accepted is behavior repeated."

"Strive to be underestimated."
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
One teaspoon per cup sounds pretty thin.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wife brought home a French press as a leftover from Mom's garage sale yesterday.

Never been a big fan because of process and wait time. Done right though hard to beat the flavor you can get from even the most marginal of beans.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

290 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 32 invisible), 2,355 guests, and 1,148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,463
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.