Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
How frickin stupid does Ruger have too be too not offer just a basic fuggin Hawkeye with a stainless barrel or at least cerakoted whichever with a decent synthetic stock and no stupid frickin muzzle brake, and not frickin threaded for one either? Stainless or ceakote, decent friggin synthetic stock, no gadgets. Just be able too put a scope on it zero it, put a sling on it and go hunting. Can Ruger CEO pull his head out of his 4th point of contact?

Oh and I forgot too add don’t flute the stupid barrel (looking at you Winchester). Don’t flute the stupid bolt, a normal looking bolt handle oh and give can we just get a freaking hinged floor plate instead of some stupid ass ADL style blind magazine BS (looking at you Barrett). How dang hard is it?

Last edited by ridgerunner_ky; 10/08/20.
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
There's always the used market. Here's one in the classifieds right now:

Ruger 77 MkII UL Stainless 30-06 - $675 shipped.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I think the Ruger Stainless Hawkeye is one of the best hunting rifles for bad weather that's ever been made. We have four in the family.

I had two and bought two more on sale when they were discontinued. A really good parctical hunting rifle IMHO.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I also have two Hawkeye All-Weather SS guns. The manufacturers don’t seem to realize that some of us prefer SS to Cerakote. They all keep headed that way.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
There's always the used market. Here's one in the classifieds right now:

Ruger 77 MkII UL Stainless 30-06 - $675 shipped.

Thanks, I know the used ones are out there. I was just on a rant because I think it’s absolutely stupid that Ruger doesn’t still make them. I feel better that I got that rant off my chest 😆
Aren’t the Mark II’s a little lighter than the Hawkeyes?

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
For Ruger folks what is preferred Mark II or the Hawkeyes?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hawkeyes are considered to have more svelte stocks and a better stock trigger. I have handled Hawkeyes and agree, but I own two Mk IIs and no Hawkeyes

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

I think the Ruger Stainless Hawkeye is one of the best hunting rifles for bad weather that's ever been made. We have four in the family.

I had two and bought two more on sale when they were discontinued. A really good parctical hunting rifle IMHO.

How do they shoot? Ex BIL has old Red Pad, Tang Safety 270 that shoot great with 4831 and 130 BT. Best I remember it shoots good with about anything.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I prefer the trigger and matte finish on the Hawkeye Stainless. The Mark II stainless with the boat paddle stock brings the most money with collectors now. I prefer the stock on the Hawkeye,the polymer is stiffer than the paddle models.

I used to own a couple of Ruger Mark II Stainless rifles,had a matte finish put on them and had the triggers worked on.

Sold them both when the Hawkeye Stainless models came out.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ridge, I gripe and moan occasionally about the many new in box rugers I've owned over the years. Coming out of the box with issues. BUT, it's like griping about a family member that pisses you off, at the end of the day, you still have love for em.

Here in Alaska, so many hard working people, who can't afford expensive sht, fill their freezers year after year, with well worn Rugers.

I guesstimate that over the past 15 years, Ruger has made about $6000 off me. In every instant that I had a problem, they've FIXED IT.

About the only 77 that makes sense to me anymore, is the Hawkeye African. With the thread protector on (no muzzle brake b.s.):

It looks like a normal hunting rifle with good open sights.

The do-nothing tactical and long range blowhards, have really effected the bolt action hunting rifle line ups of present day.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 10/08/20.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

How do they shoot? Ex BIL has old Red Pad, Tang Safety 270 that shoot great with 4831 and 130 BT. Best I remember it shoots good with about anything.

I have three that shoot one moa or better. A 243,a 280,and a 30-06. My 270 is a two moa rifle but I'm pretty sure it's just bedding. Should be an easy fix. I had a 308 Hawkeye that was moa or better.

I also owned a wood stocked Hawkeye in 338 Federal that was moa or better.

So five out of six Hawkeyes that I've shot would put three shots in an inch at 100 yards right out of the box with factory ammo.

I'm pretty sure the 270 that shoots 2 moa just needs the barrel channel floated and maybe the action bedded.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Doc, my first 100yd, three shot, one-hole group was in 2003. It was mk ll in 223 with a vari x 2 leupold 3-9. It was a 55 grain nosler ballistic tip handloads using winchester brass that I collected off a shooting range.

The rifling in that barrel was flawless.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Ridge, I gripe and moan occasionally about the many new in box rugers I've owned over the years. Coming out of the box with issues. BUT, it's like griping about a family member that pisses you off, at the end of the day, you still have love for em.

Here in Alaska, so many hard working people, who can't afford expensive sht, fill their freezers year after year, with well worn Rugers.

I guesstimate that over the past 15 years, Ruger has made about $6000 off me. In every instant that I had a problem, they've FIXED IT.

About the only 77 that makes sense to me anymore, is the Hawkeye African. With the thread protector on (no muzzle brake b.s.):

It looks like a normal hunting rifle with good open sights.

The do-nothing tactical and long range blowhards, have really effected the bolt action hunting rifle line ups of present day.

I agree with you about family member comparison. I have a couple family members I could have a fist fight tonight and eat breakfast together in the morning ha.
Good customer service means a lot. Prefer not too need it but it’s nice too know it’s there. Although I actually have zero Rugers at the moment I have always liked them. Revolvers, rifles whatever.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Ridge, you can go to Japan for a Howa, to the bankruptcy buy-out for a Remington, to Serbia for a Zastava, to the Czech Republic for a 550, to Portugal for a Winchester model 70 or to Finland for a plasTikka.

Affordability, with a bunch of rugged features, you can pick up a Bugger Cockeyed 77 that is and always will be made in the United States of America.

It'll come out of the box in rough shape, you will drink a Budweiser, you will fly an American flag, then fill your fkn freezer.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 10/08/20.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

It'll come out of the box in rough shape, you will drink a Budweiser, you will fly an American flag, then fill your fkn freezer.

👍

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Ridge, you can go to Japan for a Howa, to the bankruptcy buy-out for a Remington, to Serbia for a Zastava, to the Czech Republic for a 550, to Portugal for a Winchester model 70 or to Finland for a plasTikka.

Affordability, with a bunch of rugged features, you can pick up a Bugger Cockeyed 77 that is and always will be made in the United States of America.

Good too go except for that nasty Budweiser.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky

Good too go except for that nasty Budweiser.

There's a method to the madness :

It'll give you a headache the next day, that will help you forget about the head ache you had, caused by your new ruger.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Good luck with just sticking a scope on a Ruger and having it shoot good. They are assembled kit guns. It's up to you to do the fine tuning and work the bugs out. If you don't want to do that, buy a Tikka.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Good luck with just sticking a scope on a Ruger and having it shoot good. They are assembled kit guns. It's up to you to do the fine tuning and work the bugs out. If you don't want to do that, buy a Tikka.

Not true

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MagMarc
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Not true
It's very true on most of them. Once in awhile the stars align and they get one mostly right. Most have issues that need to be worked out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (260Remguy, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 240NMC, 270winchester, 007FJ, 64 invisible), 2,334 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,650
Posts18,455,461
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.