Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Calvin
No flies on modern mercs. Yamaha being the “best” is very subjective.

All the commercial fisherman around here run Suzuki or Yamaha. Yamaha seems to be the preference, but Suzuki is cheaper and has a longer warranty.

Life is good live it while you can.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We bought a 1990 Sea Ray with a 1991 135-horse Merc in the spring of 2003 and it's been solid as a freekin rock, despite mistakes I made early on because of my ignorance. I've spent more replacing batteries every three or four years than any other expenses related to the boat. But then again, I know how to change an impeller.

I see NO downside to the walk-through configuration whatsoever.

I see a lot of wisdom in buying used, for sure---as long as you know what you're looking at when you see it. I'll bet I could get more for my boat right now than I paid for it in 2003.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by SPQR70AD
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
For me neither Crestliner or Mercury would make it very high on any list.

If I wanted a tin boat it would be a Lund or an Alumacraft with a Yamaha, Suzuki, or Honda. In no particular order.

do you know that all mecurys under 40 HP are made in Japan?

by Tohatsu

TV has become nothing more than the Petri dish where this country grows its idiots.
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by johnw
...Crestliner...1650 Fish Hawk w/90 Merc, or the 1750 Fish Hawk w/115 Merc...My wife is also excited about owning a boat, and she would prefer more space and seating, as well as a full walk-through windshield...

Listen to your wife. Go for the bigger boat, longer and wider.

But I definitely would not buy one brand new. Instead, look for someone's cream puff; save thousand$ and get a better boat. Have a pre-purchase inspection done by a qualified service.

Crestliner and Mercury are not the top of the line. You could likely do much better on the used boat. Great time to find a deal on something really nice.

I've been looking for someone's used "cream puff" all summer long. Had 3 boats I was ready to write the check for. One was posted while I was at work, and I called to arrange seeing it on my way home. Sold before I got off.
One in minnesota I called about within 2 hours of it being posted. Gone before I called.
One in wisconsin was spectacular but the owner didn't want to show it til the virus crisis passed. He pulled the ad and may still own it for all I know, but he refused to meet long enough to sell it.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I’ve seen some recent crestliners that seemed to be well built. I’ve been around boats all my life, my first job at 16 was working in my (now) wife’s grandfather’s boat and motor dealership. I recently asked one of the guides around here, “ Why would anybody buy an outboard other than Yamaha?” He just shook his head and said,”I don’t know.” That’s how I feel about outboards.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Don’t know where you’re using it, or what you’re using it for, so I am unable to bring the weight of my considerable experience to bear.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Buy the boat you can afford. “My boat” is always better than “Our boat.”

Mathew 22: 37-39

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have been in 2 Lund boats. They were an 18 footers. V hull with bench seats They were the most unstable boat I have ever been in. If there were 8" waves they rocked so bad you couldn't stand up without holding on to something. A Flat bottom or semi-v the same size is much more stable. Might not cut waves as well. But I wouldn't have one of those Yankee V hull boats.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Buy the bigger one. Never heard anyone say I wish it was a foot shorter and a foot narrower.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
18' Alumacraft with a walk thru windshield and 120 horse powerplant.....you pick it.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Where are you going to use it and what for? It kinda makes a difference. The right boat could be a kayak or an aircraft carrier, or anything in between.

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC
Not sure what sort of water you plan on being in but I would choose the bigger boat and motor. I wouldn't want less than a 18.5'/115 hp combination.

Why the larger boat? There is always a bigger boat out there and "2 foot-itis is a well known malady. I have friends who regularly fish Lake Michigan and Chequamegon Bay with 17' boats. My buddy with a 2003 1750 Fish Hawk Tiller uses it from Rainy Lake to the North shore of Superior, and over to Erie.

My biggest decision now is Side Console or Walk-Through. And whether a somewhat larger boat would negate the disadvantages of the Walk-Through.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...I've been looking for someone's used "cream puff" all summer long...
One was posted while I was at work, and I called to arrange seeing it on my way home. Sold before I got off...

If you believe you can't...you're right!

John--you're going about it wrong if you are calling "to arrange seeing it on your way home". When you have finally found just what you've been looking for, you call and say "I'll take it." or "I want to buy your boat." Then you go see it and try to be the first one there with cash.

I have owned many boats up to 48'. If you buy new, you will lose thousands of dollars before you even get it home, When you actually get serious about buying a boat you will figure all this out.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MOGC
Not sure what sort of water you plan on being in but I would choose the bigger boat and motor. I wouldn't want less than a 18.5'/115 hp combination.

Why the larger boat?...

More stability, space and comfort. And to please your wife.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by vapodog
18' Alumacraft with a walk thru windshield and 120 horse powerplant.....you pick it.

I sat in a 17 1/2 ft Alumacraft Side Console today. The operators seat is not behind the wheel, but feels like it's offset towards center.

It was quite a bit cheaper than any Crestliner I looked at, but lacked storage, seating options and finished look on hatches and trim. Upright plastic cleats vs folding chromed. For the added price I'd cheerfully opt for the Crestliner.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd be highly confident in either of those Mercury outboards. I absorb a lot of boating related content. It is very rare to find a complaint about any Merc from 75-150. They are stone cold reliable.

Boats are selling well now, so there won't be much room for negotiation. They also hold their value very well. It's not uncommon to see a 2-3 year old boat selling for more than what it sold for new.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 10/09/20.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I expect lots of rigs to be available with the upcoming colder weather. Especially if loan payments are due on barely affordable toys and inability to use them. Boat dealers have had a banner sales year here and w fewer boats available, the end of model year and ability to high hat lots of buyers might play into choices. But I see you’ve got inside track on a couple different choices. Good and used is my path through the years. We bought a couple of really fine boats this way. Good luck w your buy and use it if your regional climate allows it. Great fishing to be had in cooler weather.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
johnw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Where are you going to use it and what for? It kinda makes a difference. The right boat could be a kayak or an aircraft carrier, or anything in between.

Primarily Pools 10, 12, and 13 on the Mississippi. Also the lower Wisconsin at appropriate water levels and the upper Rock and Koshkonong. But it will also vacation with us and see inshore use on the gulf coast, and lakes across the upper Midwest as opportunity arises.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

For that a big lund with a hydrolic jack plate to life the engine for shallow running like we do on the Missouri River.

You DO NOT want a jon boat on the miss.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The 1750 will make a nice boat. Just run a compression check on the Merc and you will be fine. No bass and ski for me. If you want a fishing boat...buy a fishing boat. The 16 will cramp you real quick. Their best boat is the 18footer w/a 115hp. I learned long ago...buy 2 feet more than you think you will need. powdr

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1minute, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 53 invisible), 2,675 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,365
Posts18,469,021
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.