24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since Ruger is one of the few American firearms companies that are thriving, I imagine they are making good decisions about what to make for the current market at any point in time. Models come and go, and come back when they think the timing is right. Right now, the market seems to be focused on cheap and accurate. Hawkeyes cost more to make than many are willing to pay, but specialty models like the Hunter, Predator, and Target must be selling well, or they’d not be making them. Not long ago, Hawkeye All-Weathers were available at a considerable discount, indicating that the supply line was over-supplied. I bought a couple myself, and still have the .223. The three I’ve owned were all good shooters, and totally trouble-free. When I gave my son the choice of several of my rifles, he picked the .308 Predator, which he had borrowed for a cull hunt and liked very much. Too bad for me!

From comments I’ve read here, I’m guessing threaded barrels appeal to about as many as they don’t. Don’t want one myself, but don’t object to it being there.

What fresh Hell is this?
BP-B6

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dogger
Hawkeyes are considered to have more svelte stocks and a better stock trigger. I have handled Hawkeyes and agree, but I own two Mk IIs and no Hawkeyes

Thats exactly where I'm at. 2 mkII's and no Hawkeye's. The Hawkeye isnt a bad rifle though. I like the LC6 trigger, but the MkII trigger can be turned into a very nice trigger with a little honing and a lighter spring. Accuracy is always improved with a good glass bedding treatment. Thats for both the Hawkeye and MKII. The MKII's had a nicer deep blue finish, but the stainless was too shiny, as compared to the Hawkeye matte finish.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
As much as I’d hate to admit it, I could have just bought a SS MkII or Hawkeye AW in 30-06 and mounted a Leupold 2.5-8x36 or 3.5-10x40 scope and made every shot on game that I’ve ever made, assuming it was a legit 2 MOA gun.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Hawkeyes are so nice they ruined the Mark II's for me. Made them feel clubby. I still like a Tanger though

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
How frickin stupid does Ruger have too be too not offer just a basic fuggin Hawkeye with a stainless barrel or at least cerakoted whichever with a decent synthetic stock and no stupid frickin muzzle brake, and not frickin threaded for one either? Stainless or ceakote, decent friggin synthetic stock, no gadgets. Just be able too put a scope on it zero it, put a sling on it and go hunting. Can Ruger CEO pull his head out of his 4th point of contact?

Oh and I forgot too add don’t flute the stupid barrel (looking at you Winchester). Don’t flute the stupid bolt, a normal looking bolt handle oh and give can we just get a freaking hinged floor plate instead of some stupid ass ADL style blind magazine BS (looking at you Barrett). How dang hard is it?

They still make a M77? Been at least two years since I've seen a new one in the store. American this, American that. Lucky you can even find a 10/22 these days.......

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The largest LGS near here has had them, but not in the numbers you use to see years ago, but that also applies to everything except ARs. Same situation in the big store down in Leesburg; some nice used stuff, a bazillion ARs and Glock-like objects, then Tupperware. I assume they’re ordering what sells. Plenty on the WWW, if anyone wants one.

A few weeks ago, I called the local store about getting a new Howa. They told me they can’t get them. I mentioned that the WWW was loaded with them, and the guy kind of snapped at me, “We can’t get them!”. I find that hard to believe. Maybe he thought I was going to try and get a lowball price, but I never mentioned that at all. I was actually willing to pay full ticket to avoid the kind of shipping Hell I’ve been experiencing lately, but we never got near that point. So much for supporting local dealers.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
Ridge, you can go to Japan for a Howa, to the bankruptcy buy-out for a Remington, to Serbia for a Zastava, to the Czech Republic for a 550, to Portugal for a Winchester model 70 or to Finland for a plasTikka.

Affordability, with a bunch of rugged features, you can pick up a Bugger Cockeyed 77 that is and always will be made in the United States of America.

It'll come out of the box in rough shape, you will drink a Budweiser, you will fly an American flag, then fill your fkn freezer.

Good too go except for that nasty Budweiser.

There's a method to the madness :

It'll give you a headache the next day, that will help you forget about the head ache you had, caused by your new ruger.

I have 3 stainless Hawkeyes in 223, 6.5 CM, and 338 FED that were purchased used and think that they are nice rifles made even better with McM stocks.

Ruger has a pretty good record of recognizing what the market wants and building it for them (us?). When WBR, Sr., was running things he pushed some projects that weren't mainstream, like the RSIs, the Gold Label, and the 96s. Some of them were successful, like the RSIs, and some not so successful, like the Gold Label and 96s. Right now the market seems more interested in long range shooting than in more traditional hunting modes, so they are pushing the styles of rifle that are selling the best.

Budweiser is a good base for red beer, 12 ounces or Bud and 4 ounces of tomato or V8 juice.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ten years ago the idea of a braked short .375 with a 20" bbl and adjustable pull length would have seemed silly to me. Then I handled one - at 9.5# scoped it feels like a typical 7# field gun. Fast swing, weight between the hands. Been using it past two seasons. Really like it, about 300 rds down the pipe so far. Comfortable, feels like a non-braked 9.5# '06. Excellent trigger. Which means can shoot it as precisely as our .243.

Hunt alone, and always wear electronic muffs, so brake is a non-issue. Suppose could either install a weight, or simple end cap. Accuracy just fine, Hornady 270s 5 into 3/4" at 100 yds. Speer 270s and 235s about 1-1.25", Nosler 300 partitions about 1".

As for the cartridge, easily delivers 24" H&H ballistics from a 20" tube. Like when a product delivers what it promises.

Only Ruger "quirk" is remembering the angled screw wants 95 inch-lbs. Mine likes 35# middle, 50# rear.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gooch_McGrundle
As much as I’d hate to admit it, I could have just bought a SS MkII or Hawkeye AW in 30-06 and mounted a Leupold 2.5-8x36 or 3.5-10x40 scope and made every shot on game that I’ve ever made, assuming it was a legit 2 MOA gun.

Certainly the same can be said for me, and probaby most, if not all of us. blush

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve got a Ruger Hawkeye SS in .338 WM, and really like it. The only thing I’ve done to it besides mount a scope on it, was to replace the trigger spring. It shoots pretty decent as well, but so did the Ruger 77 MKII .257 Rob. I used to own. I was just in a big box store this week on Tuesday and noticed a new Ruger Hawkeye SS in .300 WM they had, I definitely do not need another .300 mag of any kind, but had it been a .30-06, it may have come home with me. I had one in .338 Fed on lay-a-way at Wal-Mart when I was still a poor enlisted member of the Air Force. I cancelled the lay-a-way, as I ended up buying a .44 mag revolver instead.

IC B3

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I sure wish they still made the standard Hawkeye. That rail they put on top of the Hunter version is ugly, especially taking away from the appeal of "traditional Mauser-type sporter" that the M77 always had. Even if you take it off, you are left with a drilled receiver. The threaded barrel would make a nice option for the Hawkeye line, but the bulb of metal swollen at the muzzel required for adequate shoulder against the suppressor... it does not look good at all.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Ridge, you can go to Japan for a Howa, to the bankruptcy buy-out for a Remington, to Serbia for a Zastava, to the Czech Republic for a 550, to Portugal for a Winchester model 70 or to Finland for a plasTikka.

Affordability, with a bunch of rugged features, you can pick up a Bugger Cockeyed 77 that is and always will be made in the United States of America.

It'll come out of the box in rough shape, you will drink a Budweiser, you will fly an American flag, then fill your fkn freezer.

Budweiser isn't an American company ( Belgian ) …

Last edited by bulkie_roll; 10/09/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know why Ruger abandoned the stainless market as they did. Most of the people I know didn't care for the scratch prone matte stainless finish Ruger eventually went to. Their original brushed stainless in a good stock, with the very good LC trigger, priced like a Tikka should do well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SeeDepp
I sure wish they still made the standard Hawkeye. That rail they put on top of the Hunter version is ugly, especially taking away from the appeal of "traditional Mauser-type sporter" that the M77 always had. Even if you take it off, you are left with a drilled receiver. The threaded barrel would make a nice option for the Hawkeye line, but the bulb of metal swollen at the muzzel required for adequate shoulder against the suppressor... it does not look good at all.

Yup

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

I think the Ruger Stainless Hawkeye is one of the best hunting rifles for bad weather that's ever been made. We have four in the family.

I had two and bought two more on sale when they were discontinued. A really good parctical hunting rifle IMHO.
o

Agreed. Bught an All Weather Hawkeye in .280 Rem to replace a #1 in same. The #1 was really nice and a great shooter but it didn't suit my hunting needs. THe All Weather fits very nicely and is one of three stainless Ruger "elk " rifles (.Hawkeye 280 Rem, MKII.30-06, .MKII 338WM). The .280 Rem is going elk hunting in November,.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I’m hanging on to my MkII stainless models as long as I have a breath. I like Ruger and like products made in the USA.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The new hawkeyes come oughtta the box with:

Steel rings, steel mag box,steel bottom metal, steel floorplate, steel bolt shroud.

All this dmn steel. Will it be as smooth as Steely Dan? Probably not.

Smooth enough to get those plasTikka fan-boys all caddy as sht though.

In the dozens of villages I've been to, Ruger bolt guns are all over. In the thousands of miles of river Ive run, Ruger bolt guns in many hunters hands.

Last edited by mainer_in_ak; 10/09/20.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Personally I vastly prefer the Mk II stainless to the Hawkeye AW. I don't care for the finish on the AW it scratches too easily and looks like crap after a while. The MK II is the perfect rifle for all weather such as what you get in Alaska.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm rather fond of my Hawkeye Predator in .308. No, it's not as smooth-cycling as many others when you take it out of the box, but it fit the bill for a magnum-weight stainless/laminate sporter. Easy to shoot, partly due to the weight and the 2-stage target trigger. Did pick up an extra ring in the next lowest height so I could get the Leupold down low.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Now with even more aplomb
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Jpro,
When you said you picked up an extra ring, was the height proper to just transfer your front factory supplied ring to the rear? I've noticed that they're selling single ruger rings, which is confusing.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
310 members (007FJ, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 32 invisible), 2,056 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,822
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.