Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Raw salmon from PNW carry a number of parasites from their freshwater lives which humans and dogs are vulnerable to.

Jesus Christ you get dumber by the minute!!! 😂😂

Oooops, don’t out me thief!! Haha

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 4th_point

I was under the impression that freezing fish will kill the parasites but I don't know at what temperature or how long.

https://www.fda.gov/media/80777/download

"Freezing and storing at an ambient temperature of -4°F (-20°C) or below for 7 days (total time), or freezing at an ambient temperature of -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at an ambient temperature of -31°F (-35°C) or below for 15 hours, or freezing at an ambient temperature of -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at an ambient temperature of -4°F (-20°C) or below for 24 hours are sufficient to kill parasites."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My salmon's cooked all the way through, thank you. And, yes, you can do without drying it out if you know what you're doing.

Murphy was a grunt.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't tell u what I do out here..u vist and I'll make it ....

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JimInAK

I was under the impression that freezing fish will kill the parasites but I don't know at what temperature or how long.

"Freezing and storing at an ambient temperature of -4°F (-20°C) or below for 7 days (total time), or freezing at an ambient temperature of -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at an ambient temperature of -31°F (-35°C) or below for 15 hours, or freezing at an ambient temperature of -31°F (-35°C) or below until solid and storing at an ambient temperature of -4°F (-20°C) or below for 24 hours are sufficient to kill parasites."

Yup, all of that is true. But how many know what their freezers will produce? I know exactly what mine does and have checked more than a few for others. Most folks have no idea how warm their freezers are.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh, and another point worth thinking about.

For years the guidance on trichinosis was to simply freeze for a while and it will kill it. Then someone actually tested it and found out AK bears have Trichonella that does not die from freezing. Now we know the species is "nativa" not "spirallis" and it is not killable by freezing.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Yup, all of that is true. But how many know what their freezers will produce? I know exactly what mine does and have checked more than a few for others. Most folks have no idea how warm their freezers are.

It seems freezers are not engineered to get as cold as they used to.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fremont
My salmon's cooked all the way through, thank you. And, yes, you can do without drying it out if you know what you're doing.

Sure you can, but we like ours medium rare !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ironbender

It seems freezers are not engineered to get as cold as they used to.

There is that...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fremont

Okay, what is your secret?

IC B3

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
i can't answer for him, but low and slow in the oven for an hour is amazing, little or no seasoning, spritz with EVOO, scattered with capers.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Exactly how low?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
YGTBFKM...
wink

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
Here ya go buddy, Costco..
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]pic hoster

Momma going to do a Costco run, going to look for this stuff..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by ironbender
Exactly how low?

225 deg F

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by Judman
Here ya go buddy, Costco..
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]pic hoster

Momma going to do a Costco run, going to look for this stuff..

Just ordered a six pack of their various spices to give them a try.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I like a hot grill. Charcoal. Skin on fillet. Oil wipe the grate. If it’s a thick filet, flesh side down for a couple minutes then flip skin side down for several more until the middle is still just a bit translucent. Salt and pepper and let rest a few. It’ll finish up. The skin is pretty damn tuff and can take some heat.

Johnnys, RWL, Tony’s, whatever....they’re all good. Simple S&P is my favorite on good fresh salmon though.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I like a hot grill. Charcoal. Skin on fillet. Oil wipe the grate. If it’s a thick filet, flesh side down for a couple minutes then flip skin side down for several more until the middle is still just a bit translucent. Salt and pepper and let rest a few. It’ll finish up. The skin is pretty damn tuff and can take some heat.

Johnnys, RWL, Tony’s, whatever....they’re all good. Simple S&P is my favorite on good fresh salmon though.

Plus one....as the kids say.

I am MAGA.
F
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
F
If its a quality fish it don't need much.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I've used a marinade of 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, and 2 teaspoons Montreal steak seasoning. Coat the fish, let sit for at least a half hour and then cook skin side down on the grill. Don't overcook.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 1941USMC, 53 invisible), 2,625 guests, and 1,115 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,241
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.