Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I bought my first Ruger Blackhawk in 1978 and my last one last week, so I guess I like them. But one thing they all have in common is that they have after-factory grips. I can’t stand not being able to wrap all my fingers around the grips. I’m about normal height with normal size hands.

I just bought a new Blackhawk in .45 Colt. It has the factory synthetic grips and the description on the Ruger website says “Traditional western-style, hand-filling grip has long been acknowledged as one of the most comfortable and natural pointing of any grip style.“ So I’m thinking ok, they'll be decent size, but no, they’re no larger than their standard wooden grips.

Does anyone know why Ruger has always done this? Did Bill Ruger have very small hands? A long time ago some one told me they were designed so the small finger couldn’t grip them allowing them to flip up better on recoil and cause the shooter to feel less recoil. But that’s never made sense to me. I shoot better when I can get a firm grip. Does anyone like their standard factory grips?

??

BP-B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
PM me and send me your address and I will send you a set of Super blackhawk over sized grips free, I made. I think I also have a set of synthetic grips that are larger I could send too.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
“Traditional western-style, hand-filling grip has long been acknowledged as one of the most comfortable and natural pointing of any grip style.“

That would be the 1860 Army, the grip Colt should have used for the Single Action Army.

I have never liked the New Model Blackhawk grip. Texas extended grips make it usable for me.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/texas-grips-extended-single-action-revolver-grips/

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I had a Single-Six from the 1980s that had the older walnut grip. It was OK for me. Sold it off.

My newer Single Six came with the newer laminate 'gunfighter' grips. Way too narrow for my liking. Replaced them with the fairly thick Hogue Micarta. All is well.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, you are supposed to curl your pinky under. It provides quite a bit better recoil control and prevents the need to reposition your hand between shots when the gun slips. But...lots of guys never tried it, or never tried it long enough to come to understand the benefits of it, or they have and they just don’t like it. I grew up with a Blackhawk and shot pinky under from the beginning, so it feels natural to me. I believe most who give pinky under enough of a fair trial will come to like it and see the benefit of it.

When I started shooting 1911’s riding the thumb safety felt so wrong I swore I wouldn’t be able to get used to it. But, all the top shooters all shot that way so I swore I’d give it a fair and proper trial. Now my old grip with thumbs down feels just plain wrong. Point is, if you made it this far without trying pinky under, you are unlikely to ‘get it’ by firing a cylinder or two through the gun.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a .45 /.45acp and put a set Eagle Sambar stag grips on it that I’ve had for quite awhile. I like them a lot.

Last edited by MnFn; 10/09/20.
M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
It provides quite a bit better recoil control and prevents the need to reposition your hand between shots when the gun slips.

I am trying to be open minded but do not understand this. Are you saying that the gun is more likely to slip if you have all 4 fingers on the grip?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes. The gun wants to roll upward. With all four fingers on the grip it can roll and the fingers can slip, especially with smooth grips and/or wet hands. You wind up with the web of your hand up near the hammer.

With the pinky curled under it acts as a ‘stop’ the gun cannot slip because the pinky keeps it in place. When the gun tries to roll up, the bottom of the grip frame has to roll/pivot down and forward. It can’t do that with your pinky curled up under it. Rather than relying only on the force of friction of all 4 fingers on the smooth fronts strap, the pinky mechanically prevents the gun from slipping.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I did not enjoy shooting my 4.62" SuperBlackhawk with the OEM grips. The stinging my palm after a few rounds was distracting and unpleasant, and I did not like my pinky curling under at all.

I got a set of grips from the company SargeMo mentions, and now the little .44 mag is pleasant to shoot, so shoot it I do.

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I just bought the Redhawk 4" in 45LC and the grip on that is so small I can't imagine shooting heavy loads comfortably with it....The only after market larger grip I have found is the Hogue synthetic grip--does anyone know of any other options for that pistol?

Thanks,

Tim

Last edited by TimZ; 10/10/20.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
For square butt Redhawks, the old Butler Creek rubber grip was the best I found. The rubber is hard enough to avoid being tacky (like Pachmayr) yet soft enough to dissipate recoil. And while the backstrap js covered, the overall size is still small enough for good DA shooting.

These are long out of production, but well worth hunting down if carrying a Redhawk is on your agenda.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I like Eagle stocks for most DA and SA revolvers. I would recommend not getting the checkered style as the chechering is very sharp such that they will dig into your hand in a most uncomfortable way during recoil if you're shooting full power ammo. Eagles are a little pricey, but they make a world of difference in the shootability of a revolver if they fit your hand.

You can check them out at www.eaglegrips.com

M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I’ll never buy anything else from Eagle Grips. I got a set from them a while back for a S&W model 629 and the fit was poor. I think I’ll try one of those extended Texas grips. Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

OR...get some custom grips without the bevel...~$60.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by McInnis
I’ll never buy anything else from Eagle Grips. I got a set from them a while back for a S&W model 629 and the fit was poor. I think I’ll try one of those extended Texas grips. Thanks.

Interesting. I have, or have had, at least 20 sets of Eagle grips and never had any quality issues.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Ok,,,,, here's my 2-cents worth, I never did like the "Plow-Handle" style grip, thats why I Shoot the "Bisley" design, and the mild-checkering is not a problem,,,, it actually helps some, as this "Rig" is with me when ever I'm out,,,, and I do alot of Fly-Fishing up here in Alaska, so my hands are always wet, and or alittle slimy,,,,, you know, fishey..... anyway, thats my Story, and I'm Sticking to it...... grin
Lj cool

Attached Images

-[USMC 1st Mar/Div 7th Engineers, VietNam 69-71, Semper-Fi]-
M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
SargeMo, thanks for the tip on Texas extended grips. I ordered a set in Mesquite and they arrived today. Good fit and they really look nice.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You're welcome Mac.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
SargeMO and Vic in VA:
As one who prefers the Colt 1860 Army grip, I thank you for the information about, and the illustration of, the Texas Extended Grips. This whole thread demonstrates Jeff Cooper's statement that the handgun is the most personal of small arms.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TwentyTwo
SargeMO and Vic in VA:
As one who prefers the Colt 1860 Army grip, I thank you for the information about, and the illustration of, the Texas Extended Grips. This whole thread demonstrates Jeff Cooper's statement that the handgun is the most personal of small arms.

You ain't the only one.

1970's Iver Johnson 'Cattleman' 44 Magnum

[Linked Image]

70's Italian '60 Army

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
741 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 12308300, 11point, 87 invisible), 2,797 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,702
Posts18,400,027
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.