Have plans for the holiday?

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a big fat Canada goose ready for the oven and pumpkin pie in the fridge. Our son will be home from university, but the big family gathering is not happening this year. The day following Thanksgiving I have a date to take my 15 yr. old nephew and his dog on their first duck hunt.

Last edited by castnblast; 10/09/20.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Fairly low key this year...and worked around the farm has piled up. My roof, a nuisance Grizzly and have got to reset shoes for a Goat hunt on Sunday.
The Elk rut is peaking, a few are being tipped over, hence the bear activity. Thank God for our blessings on the West slope of the Rockies.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Happy Thanksgiving!

It is October 9th, the sun is shining and it is 18 degrees. I am at the trailer. This is where I go to write and relax.

Back home, Thanksgiving will be quieter, but I still get to see the grandkids. They live one road over from me, and will be here. This week coming, my SIL and I will help the neighbour with his "new to him" baler. The septic is pumped, and we are just about ready for winter.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Enjoy!!

IC B2

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Not much planned, just a 2 day visit with relatives in Summerland, BC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Happy Thanksgiving to my Canuck forum folks;
Since my friend wabigoon has already started this thread, I'll just add to it and hopefully that's acceptable.

Wherever you are, despite this being one of the tougher years I can recall in my nearing 60 years, I'm still thankful to be on this side of the grass to deal with it all.

My sincere well wishes to you and your families wherever this finds you.

Happy Thanksgiving to you all and good luck on your remaining hunts.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'd love to spend the good holiday in Canada some year.

No pilgrims I'll guess?

Who were Canada's 'Pilgrims"?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'd love to spend the good holiday in Canada some year.

No pilgrims I'll guess?

Who were Canada's 'Pilgrims"?

wabigoon;
Good morning to you my friend, I hope that this Canadian Thanksgiving finds you and your fine family well.

While I'm far from an expert on such matters, I'll take a stab at an answer but again the gentle readers will have to understand a lot of this is somewhat subjective.

The original American Pilgrims left England and went to Holland for nearly 20 years first, in large part for religious freedom. They then decided to leave Holland both to retain their English heritage and values but as well to avoid being caught up in a possible war between Holland and Spain.

Thus if we set the criteria for "pilgrims" as a group wanting to maintain both their religious and cultural identity, I'd opine it was the Mennonites who came to the Niagara River area from Pennsylvania in the late 1770's.

No doubt the American Revolution had something to do with it as well, since as a group at that time and still today the Mennonite faith promotes pacifism.

Please note I have Mennonites in my immediate family and believe that I understand and absolutely do respect those who believe in pacifism, I just do not happen to embrace that belief myself for a multitude of what I feel are valid reasons.

All that then said sir, I'd nominate them for those reasons, but there certainly were groups that came to Canada previous to that for other reasons and I'd love to hear anyone else's thoughts on the subject for sure as I find it interesting.

Lastly, although I believe you know this about me wabigoon, both of my grandfathers came to Canada from Europe as refugees so I've got a fairly large helping of empathy for folks in the same boat today.

All the best to you all again and Happy Thanksgiving to you all.

Dwayne

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
As I recall from reading our government's latest interpretation of history, Canada's pilgrims were actually boatloads of black and Asian Muslims who got lost, searching for a floating mosque. Many of them were female, and spoke French. They came to North America to escape the tyranny of several groups of old, fat white men, Christians, and European pacifists.

The now famous "Battle of Away" happened in the late 1400s when several boatloads of Vikings arrived on the shores of Newfoundland at the same time as the pilgrims. There was an instant hatred between the two groups. This resulted in an ongoing war between the two that lasted 20 years. The pilgrims detested the Vikings and their blonde hair and blue eyes. The Vikings didn't like the pilgrims because they could not speak Norgy.

Finally, in the early 1500s, this fellow - Valnorg the Ornary - defeated the pilgrims, but allowed a boatload to sail away. This act of kindness, unusual for Vikings historians say, could have been the reason why we had trouble with them hundreds of years later. So, in a way, it was a white person's fault for all the nonsense going on in the world today. The fighting. The hatred. COVID monkeys and acne.

Valnorg the Ornary

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steve;
laugh laugh laugh

Happy Thanksgiving to you sir, I hope all is well with you and your clan on what's looking to be a nice day out west here.

Well where does one begin with a response sir!

When I looked up Valnorg the Ornary and the Battle of Away, it also made references to some opening skirmishes such as the clash of "You look strange and your mother dresses you funny" and of course culminating with the little known battle on the beach head of "You folks kindly bugger off now". shocked

The latter of course set the passive aggressive tone for Canuck "niceness" for the next several centuries, which if one reads between the lines in our history shows we really weren't all that nice, just acted that way to cover up for it all.

Perhaps it was accented by our founding fathers who were mainly semi-sober Scotsman eventually meeting for a drinking bout in PEI and coming up with the confederation concept during an ale run? grin

Thanks for the laugh Steve, am still enjoying your book too by the way.

All the best to you all and Happy Thanksgiving.

Dwayne

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Canadian Pilgrims—French Huguenots

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I find the parallels between Canada, and the US interesting. Goose Island i much like Ellis Island I've read.

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'll correct that, Groose Island, Quebec.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thanks Dwayne.

The Pilgrims were not even close to being first to arrive in North America. At least two other groups came over. Asians crossed Beringia, a land bridge at the Bering Strait that connected Asia to NA, anywhere from 13,000 to 20,000 years ago. Who would question the archeologists?

The other crossing that I know of was around 1000 AD by several groups of Scandinavian wild men we know as the Vikings. Eric the Red, his brother Thorvald, Vinny the Purple, Murray the K, etc.

Either of these two was hundreds or thousands of years before the Pilgrims, turkey or before Mexico gave us pumpkins.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Happy Thanksgiving

I guess we would have to look into Quebec history for the earliest European settlers that lasted.

Instead of a big family dinner, we will have two of three of the children and grandkids over in a couple evenings, With the windows open. Our summer has finished so it will be cool and damp..

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
We enjoyed five Thanksgiving's when we lived in Calgary. Then, come November, we would head to north Idaho and celebrate again.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
Happy Thanksgiving

I guess we would have to look into Quebec history for the earliest European settlers that lasted...

Think Jesuit. The Society of Jesus. The Black Robes.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The classics, turkey, pumpkin pie, stuffing, cranberries, mashed potatoes, and of course gravy?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Steve;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the day was a fine one for you and if this was feast day for you like it was for us, then I hope you're recovering.

For sure the Pilgrims were not close to the first anything here in North America, but I answered taking the question of which group might have come to Canada for similar reasons that the Pilgrims did - which was religious freedom and less persecution for their beliefs than they were having back where they came from.

As a bit of a student of history I actually find some of the archeological stuff being looked at these days extremely interesting, including the Salutrean theory which is still young and controversial, but interesting nonetheless.

There were also findings on the southern tip of Argentina which predate previous finds by several thousand years apparently, so again I think that as we learn more about how to interpret some of this it'll change our views on world travel.

I'll note that when I was in school they still didn't have a handle on how long the Vikings were established at L'anse au Meadows and the latest I read seemed to indicate that they had permanent settlement there to trade with the Dorset peoples for as much as 500 years - or more.

Anyways sir, it's always a subject I could talk too much about and am very much interested in for sure.

All the best to you all once again Steve.

Dwayne

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
491 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 43 invisible), 2,521 guests, and 1,095 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.