Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I agree with you on the ultra light craze. Those guns, IMO, are a lot harder to shoot.

My hunting bud loves his Sendero. I asked him one day, why he packed such a heavy rifle. His answer. "I know what it will do when I get it there".. And with his track record, killing critters, what could I say. His record speaks for itself.

I've shown this picture before, young man with a "mountain rifle", obviously hunting in the mountains....

Famous photos, but does make a statement. I wouldn't want to pack that thing up and down those mountains. But, I guess he knew what it would do when he got it there....

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Times change. I don't know if the cheap, entry level guns are a better choice, but they are inexpensive...and very plastic. 😄

I'd take one of those Savages any day over three 303s. The heavy 303 has to be cut down and re-worked and are not designed to take a scope. An Axis OTOH in 308 is a much better sporting rifle and is designed as such.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Naturally.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Just sold my McMillan. I have a couple MPI’s one of which is on one of those ultralights you mentioned. 5lbs in .308
It’s a joy to carry and shoots very well to 300yds with a 178gr. Solo hunting mountains, you notice every ounce.

Pitter Patter!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Just put a $250 Howa barreled action into a $140 Weatherby Vanguard stock, if that counts.

Have used a Boyds, and still have a B&C. Just picked up a Heym 98 .308 on GB, and may need something for that, or not. From the pics, the buttstock resembles a 1970s Sako. Coming from Alaska of all places, arriving Thursday.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Sure it counts! Well done.

I guess the big question is, will it shoot right away, or will you have to coax small groups out of it by bedding?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I imagine it’ll shoot about like a Vanguard usually does, pretty good. It’s quite stiff. If not, I’ll float it to the chamber section, maybe skim that, or try JB’s bread bag tag trick first.

This is the second stock they sent. The first one fell off the tracking map for a month, so they sent another. Told me to keep the original if it re-appeared.

Presto!

Not my style at all, but they fit me very well, have a slim grip with a slight palm-swell. 37 ounces though, but this one is a range toy/varminter. 9 lbs 4.6 oz with a 6x42 SS in Burris Signature 6-screw rings on a rail. Trigger 2# 12oz out of the box. Could probably drop nearly a pound by mounting a light scope in Talleys, but I already have a couple featherweights.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I've had a McMillan (my brother now has it).

I currently have a Wildcat (Remington Model 7 pattern) which nicely fits my Kimber 84M Varmint.

I've had a Brown Precision (1 Pounder?) on a Ruger 77R 25-06 since 1991.

All of these stocks are good or even great.

In the last 10 years, I have used Kimber Montanas almost exclusively. IMO, those stocks are as good as any aftermarket stock I have ever owned.

I don't have the McMillan as I have moved on from Remington rifles, but my brother had the same rifle (different caliber), so he bought it.

The Wildcat, although a Model 7 pattern, fits my Kimber Varmint perfectly.

I would sell the Ruger with the Brown, but I can't get anywhere close to my money out. The rifle does have a sentimental meaning for me. This rifle, even before the Brown, enabled me to become successful as a hunter. It's just heavy for my crippledness and it isn't a Kimber.

I don't see another aftermarket stock in my future as I have switched to Montanas. The only exception is if I restock my Winchester Model 70 SS Synthetic with a McMillan. With our dollar, it would be cheaper for me to find a used Kimber Talkeetna and sell the Winchester. I have no real need for the rifle, so I have restrained myself so far.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Have a Wildcat on a Remington 700 in 35 Whelen AI, probably only because I use that SOB alot, and the wood was starting to look ugly and a small crack was starting. The stock ended up in the wood stove.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've had a few from the USA, a Brown precision fibreglass stock for a Rem 700 .308, and a custom foreend from Bullberry Barrels to go on a TC contender carbine that I also sold. And a Boyd's laminate for a Brno ZKK 600 that I still have, even though I sold the rifle. Should sell the stock too.
A plastic aftermarket Remington tupperware style stock for my son's Rem 700 BDL 7mm08 is hiding in shame somewhere in my stash. I have had a couple custom hand made gunsmith stocks built for double shotguns. Both used American black walnut of indifferent quality. One was a Ithaca Flues 16 ga. with prince of wales grip and the other a Merkel 147AE 12 ga. with straight grip. Sold those two.
I currently own a completely reworked CZ 550 .375 H&H magnum from American Hunting Rifles, with the #3 upgrade including the beautiful hand-picked AAA fancy English Walnut with four-panel checkering, Ebony fore-end tip, Pachmayr Decellerator recoil pad, cross bolts, etc.
And another custom rifle created by Canadian master gunsmith Chris Griesbach with similar wood and workmanship to the AHR magnum, but with a slim Rigby style sporter stock fitted to a Brno ZKK 600 30-06.
I currently am working on the final fit and finish of a wonderful English style sporter stock on my Brno ZKK 601 in .222. It comes from Hatcher's stocks in Australia, and I'm sure it will soon become a favourite. It was easy to order and import the stock direct from the small shop that Cameron Hatcher operates. http://hatchersriflestocks.com.au

Last edited by castnblast; 10/23/20.
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
The Hatcher stocks look nice. What was the cost to mail?

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I don't recall the postage but a reasonable guess is $50.

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
That's a good price coming from Oz. I will be looking for a replacement stock for a Savage Model 11 in 243. I will inquire.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I've owned B&Cs, Bansners, couple Brown's, Pacific Research, McMillan, Manners, MPI, and Wildcats.

Of them all I would own a Wildcat over any of them for sheer stiffness and weight. You cannot beat them. Brown's is a better stock in the pounder form than a McMillan Edge and would be my second choice. I do love the McMillan KS pattern though and still own one.

Honestly, for 95% of what folks do the old Ti B&Cs were pretty darn good for the money. I should've kept one or two.

AF
Let your work be shown to your servants, and your glorious power to their children.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Im a big fan of B&Cs...got four of them. Had one McMillan and would not buy another unless I was 25 years old and it was going on the only gun Id ever own. They are for sure durable but I havent managed to damage any of my B&Cs and just won't live long enough to get my moneys worth out of a McMillan.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have re-stocked my 30-06 with a hogue.
Like the feel of a hogue, and that improved my shooting with that rifle.

“Even if you’re on the right track, you’ll get run over if you just sit there.”
--- Will Rogers
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rem338win
Honestly, for 95% of what folks do the old Ti B&Cs were pretty darn good for the money. I should've kept one or two.

I could never figure out why they got replaced as much as they did. They always worked fine for me and the price used to be quite good on them when they were available.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rem338win

My Rem 700 in .308 is fitted with a B&C Ti stock. I reckon it's ideal..

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
719 members (11point, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 117LBS, 92 invisible), 2,749 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,695
Posts18,399,872
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.