Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I would like to learn how to do one in the ground.

I am MAGA.
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Wannabebwana
Sonofabitch butcher sold my pig!!! I’d ordered and given a deposit and when I showed up today they had none. I was pissed!

He offered to tie up 4 pork loins together to roast. He said I’ll thank him when everyone says how good it was. I told him I can cook pork loin any day of the week - I ordered a damn pig!

Anyway, I took it, but now need some idea of cooking time. It’s about 20 lbs of pork loin, seasoned and spiced, tied into one big roast.

Suggestions appreciated. A search of the web wasn’t much help.

I'd smoke it, 250ish grate temp. Pull it when you hit 140-145 in center.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I would like to learn how to do one in the ground.

My Cuban uncle did one in a pit a decade ago or so.

He was telling me the box method is what a lot are doing now. Never seen one in use.

http://www.shoplatintouch.com/caja-...BghpYyhLoydK0s8JdvWa6oMC_bYaAl6BEALw_wcB

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Sonofabitch butcher sold my pig!!! I’d ordered and given a deposit and when I showed up today they had none. I was pissed!

He offered to tie up 4 pork loins together to roast. He said I’ll thank him when everyone says how good it was. I told him I can cook pork loin any day of the week - I ordered a damn pig!

Anyway, I took it, but now need some idea of cooking time. It’s about 20 lbs of pork loin, seasoned and spiced, tied into one big roast.

That’s my plan. I’m just trying to get a ballpark time-wise. I don’t want it done 3 hours early or late.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
During my time in Hawaii, every squadron party we had involved the Hawaiian members doing a whole pig in their pits (I believe they called them imus). Dig the pit, start the fire in the bottom, build up a big layer of coals, wrap the pig in banana leaves, place on top of the coals, and shovel the dirt back in. Then just wait. They were all experts in doing it, but would not give their secrets out. It sure turned out some delicious roast pork. The process is relatively simple, just the times can get complex, and it does take most of the day to do it.

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by TimberRunner

That’s my plan. I’m just trying to get a ballpark time-wise. I don’t want it done 3 hours early or late.

I'd guess a little less than an hour /lb. That's a guess based on a typical butt taking about 2 hours/lb. You may still end up 3 hours off.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Got the fire going. It’s a hella big unit. I’ve quickly learned that the side with the fire, even though off-set, burns way hotter.

So, I’ve transferred the fire to the right side of the unit, which runs at 450, while the left side runs at 260-280. I’ve picked that way because the light wind is going right to left, which will help move smoke and heat to the left side for cooking.

I’m just getting ready to put the pork on. Will put the chicken on in about 3 hours.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Skookum rig!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
That's a serious smoker.

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Young Dutch dairy farmer built it for his wedding feast.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Success! The cook went a little longer, we ate at 7:00 pm. I started it at 11:30 and kept it at 250-275, then fired it up to 325 for the last hour, then rested it for 1/2 hour. Internal temp 140. Everyone loved it, but we had over 1/2 the roast left over so I sent pieces home with every couple.

It was a great way to round out the summer, seeing friends we hadn’t seen since the Covid hit. Afterwards, the guys sat at a big fire smoking cigars and drinking vodka. Even had a couple shots of Absinthe for the first time.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Looks great. Good job.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I killed a litter of 20 pound pigs one time. I skinned them because of the temp and where I was hunting. I cooked them all whole. Put some bacon strips on them because they had no fat. Best darn meat I remember except for some good prime steaks. I roasted 1 in the oven. The other3 I cooked on charcoal and wood smoke indirect heat till the.bones were pulling out of the joints. I wish I could find about 20 more to shoot. The roast one wasn't as good. The charcoal cooked ones were mighty fine eating.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Success! The cook went a little longer, we ate at 7:00 pm. I started it at 11:30 and kept it at 250-275, then fired it up to 325 for the last hour, then rested it for 1/2 hour. Internal temp 140. Everyone loved it, but we had over 1/2 the roast left over so I sent pieces home with every couple.

It was a great way to round out the summer, seeing friends we hadn’t seen since the Covid hit. Afterwards, the guys sat at a big fire smoking cigars and drinking vodka. Even had a couple shots of Absinthe for the first time.

Damn ! That looks like fine eatin.

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Try butts sometime.
Give them a good rub cook to 160,ish.

You will be amazed. Think of something close to a pork prime rib.
Beats the [bleep] out of most loin. Not quite as tender, sure.
But, way more flavor. And that fat? Oh man, nice and juicy meat.

When making pulled pork we will often knock a couple slabs off one
right at the stall. Just before wrapping in foil.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Caja China!

My friend and I built a few, several years back. Out of diamond plate and stainless.

Its counterintuitive in that the heat source is above the butterflied pig. The pig is rubbed and injected. Not a dry piece of meat.

Cooked a 105 lb pig in 4.5 hours. 4 hours skin side down. Flip it over, skin side up for the final 30 minutes. The only thing better than the meat was the 6 square feet of Chicharones! So Good!

The woods and the water recharge my batteries.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
There is a restaurant in Segovia, Spain called Meson Candido that is famous for their suckling pig. They boast you can cut it with a plate, and it was good. They back it in an oven while the pig is in a large shallow clay bowl, and it is butterflied. Their lamb is just as good. Best regards.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The County Republican's use to BBQ a hog. The used a fuel oil tank cooker. That came out all pulled pork, OK, but not anything special.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

628 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 1,968 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,189
Posts18,465,772
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.