Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I worked behind the counter of a Northeast gun shop for years and can tell you for a fact the vast majority of Northeast hunters don't know jack about rifles and can't shoot for shyt with anything. They haven't a clue whether the rifle they use is well balanced, well suited to the hunting they do or whether they might be able to do better with something else.

deleted

Last edited by SuperCub; 10/13/20.
BP-B6

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had a 760 .30-06 carbine and a 7600 rifle., they're gone now but I still have my 336 and it ain't going anywhere. No plastic ejection port cover on the 336, no rubber o rings in the forearm and no forearm wobble.

LOL ...... You would would pick a 336 over a 760/7600 and all the advantages they offer over the lever?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Working behind the counter selling hamburgers does not make you an expert at beef. --- It's just my opinion about a Model 7- I've picked up a few barrel heavy rifles to find them awkward to handle . The model 7 .308 and 7-08 I own fit me like a glove. Balance never has crossed my mind with a model 7. Can you give me the make and model of your rifles so I can pick them up to feel the difference. Bottom line Blackheart----- I'll bet the ranch that If you owned an older model 7 .308 and you were only allowed the use that rifle to deer hunt. You would go out and kill deer with it

[Linked Image]
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Following.

Ive been debating about selling my 600 in 35 rem because I have too many rifles

Its a handy little carrbine and hornady LE rounds make it shoot 200 plus yards.

Even with the carbine barrel.

I suspect the 7 has a longer barrel which makes it a tad better,

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by humdinger
Following.

Ive been debating about selling my 600 in 35 rem because I have too many rifles

Its a handy little carrbine and hornady LE rounds make it shoot 200 plus yards.

Even with the carbine barrel.

I suspect the 7 has a longer barrel which makes it a tad better,

I've already done the great purge - my 600 was never in any danger.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by wldthg
Working behind the counter selling hamburgers does not make you an expert at beef. --- It's just my opinion about a Model 7- I've picked up a few barrel heavy rifles to find them awkward to handle . The model 7 .308 and 7-08 I own fit me like a glove. Balance never has crossed my mind with a model 7. Can you give me the make and model of your rifles so I can pick them up to feel the difference. Bottom line Blackheart----- I'll bet the ranch that If you owned an older model 7 .308 and you were only allowed the use that rifle to deer hunt. You would go out and kill deer with it
I would have never owned an older model 7 because I handled them and could feel that they were butt heavy/barrel light, the worst balance ever for shooting off hand. And working behind the counter at a gun shop absolutely does show you that the knowledge level of most shooters/hunters is extremely limited.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by SuperCub
I had a 760 .30-06 carbine and a 7600 rifle., they're gone now but I still have my 336 and it ain't going anywhere. No plastic ejection port cover on the 336, no rubber o rings in the forearm and no forearm wobble.

LOL ...... You would would pick a 336 over a 760/7600 and all the advantages they offer over the lever?
What advantage is that ? Keeping in mind we are supposed to be talking .35 Rem. here of course, which cancels any perceived advantages in chambering options.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have to agree on things you hear in a gun shop will make your head spin

Last edited by wldthg; 10/13/20.

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

I would have never owned an older model 7 because I handled them and could feel that they were butt heavy/barrel light, the worst balance ever for shooting off hand. And working behind the counter at a gun shop absolutely does show you that the knowledge level of most shooters/hunters is extremely limited.

Something you really need to consider here is the fact that the one shown on gunbroker is in a Brown Precision stock. There is a world of difference in the balance of one in that stock (or an Edge or Bansner) vs a factory synthetic or laminate. It changes dramatically...completely different rifle.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

Something you really need to consider here is the fact that the one shown on gunbroker is in a Brown Precision stock. There is a world of difference in the balance of one in that stock (or an Edge or Bansner) vs a factory synthetic or laminate. It changes dramatically...completely different rifle.

That could be. I've never handled one in a BP stock.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

What advantage is that ? Keeping in mind we are supposed to be talking .35 Rem. here of course, which cancels any perceived advantages in chambering options.

It was you that brought in the 30-06 into this discussion, was it not?

Since you want to go back to the the 35Remington, the following in a 760 would offer much advantage over a 336.

- Pointy bullets.
- Higher pressures
- Removeable magazine
- Better accuracy

As for the plastic cover on the ejection port, I've had no trouble with any of the many pump guns I've owned in the past. I'm sorry you couldn't manage that one small detail along with the o-ring.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
For all those people that commit on Remington Model 7----- Short baseball Bat unbalanced POS and wouldn't own one. Many a hunter here in the Northeast love them. 18" to 20" pipe lightweight. unbalanced for shooting bucks at 50 yds.? Walk into a guns shop and see how many are used for sale on the racks. ----- A hunting rifle is a tool that one uses to do a certain job. Some are supermodels made to admire. Tack hammers and sledge hammers serve their purpose. Model 7-- light weight mountain climbing --thick woods 50 yd buck killer----- my opinion---- Web
Not much of an endorsement. I worked behind the counter of a Northeast gun shop for years and can tell you for a fact the vast majority of Northeast hunters don't know jack about rifles and can't shoot for shyt with anything. They haven't a clue whether the rifle they use is well balanced, well suited to the hunting they do or whether they might be able to do better with something else.

You’re probably right about NY hunters, but that’s not the Northeast.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

It was you that brought in the 30-06 into this discussion, was it not?

Since you want to go back to the the 35Remington, the following in a 760 would offer much advantage over a 336.

- Pointy bullets.
- Higher pressures
- Removeable magazine
- Better accuracy

As for the plastic cover on the ejection port, I've had no trouble with any of the many pump guns I've owned in the past. I'm sorry you couldn't manage that one small detail along with the o-ring. Must have been horrible for you.
Better accuracy is bullshyt. Both of my current 336's are solid, consistent MOA shooters. Neither my 760 carbine nor my 7600 was as accurate. Removable magazine is debatable depending on personal preference. Higher pressures, maybe but that is of no consequence in a woods rifle. The .35 can safely be loaded to higher than book pressures in a 336 too. After all the 336 action is chambered in .444 Marlin at 44KPSI vs 33KPSI for the .35 Rem. Pointy bullets are not needed in a woods rifle either but if you feel you must for some reason the Hornady gummy tips work fine in the 336. More importantly it is easier and safer to put a really good trigger on a 336 than a 760 and a good trigger is paramount to precise off hand shooting. Oh and I only brought the .30-06 into this discussion because that's what my 760 and 7600 were chambered in.

Last edited by Blackheart; 10/13/20.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by NH K9
For all those people that commit on Remington Model 7----- Short baseball Bat unbalanced POS and wouldn't own one. Many a hunter here in the Northeast love them. 18" to 20" pipe lightweight. unbalanced for shooting bucks at 50 yds.? Walk into a guns shop and see how many are used for sale on the racks. ----- A hunting rifle is a tool that one uses to do a certain job. Some are supermodels made to admire. Tack hammers and sledge hammers serve their purpose. Model 7-- light weight mountain climbing --thick woods 50 yd buck killer----- my opinion---- Web
Not much of an endorsement. I worked behind the counter of a Northeast gun shop for years and can tell you for a fact the vast majority of Northeast hunters don't know jack about rifles and can't shoot for shyt with anything. They haven't a clue whether the rifle they use is well balanced, well suited to the hunting they do or whether they might be able to do better with something else.

You’re probably right about NY hunters, but that’s not the Northeast.
It's the same all over. We got tards from VT, NH, MA and CT in our shop every year. In fact we have a camp full of them on the other side of the mountain out back here.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Better accuracy is bullshyt. Both of my current 336's are solid, consistent MOA shooters. Neither my 760 carbine nor my 7600 was as accurate. Removable magazine is debatable depending on personal preference. Higher pressures, maybe but that is of no consequence in a woods rifle. The .35 can safely be loaded to higher than book pressures in a 336 too. After all the 336 action is chambered in .444 Marlin at 44KPSI vs 33KPSI for the .35 Rem. Pointy bullets are not needed in a woods rifle either but if you feel you must for some reason the Hornady gummy tips work fine in the 336. More importantly it is easier and safer to put a really good trigger on a 336 than a 760 and a good trigger is paramount to precise off hand shooting. Oh and I only brought the .30-06 into this discussion because that's what my 760 and 7600 were chambered in.

You asked for advantages and I listed four valid ones. No amount of your rubber weasel words can discount what I said. Guess again.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's no advantage to a rifle if you don't like it. PA has always been pump central. Yet I've always had a lot of guys tell me they could just never cotton to them. I recently sold my last 760 yet I still have a couple 336's. Both styles work for me but if I'm using a high power cartridge I want it in a bolt action anymore

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I don’t have any 336s, but I still have an 1895 and a BLR in the safe.
Preference, for me, leans to a 7600 and, more specifically, a 7600 carbine. I can get a quicker/more accurate subsequent round with the pump. That’s not conjecture, I’ve proven it (for me) at running deer shoots at local ranges.
I’ve also never experienced the dreaded rattle, but maybe that’s just luck.
Again, there is no ‘better’...........just better for individuals.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Back to the orig. ? Brian----- yup good 100yd. woods gun. Both my Model 7's and my older 700 mountain .308 wears Leupold compact 3x9 ---- If I remember right 11.5 oz scopes--------- Web

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The pump is faster but with the lever the second shot is right there if I need it and that's fast enough

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
A 35 Remington is "good for" deer bear and even elk in close if you use correct bullets. It's good for the use of a rifle. It's good for killing deer where you live. And it's VERY good if you like the rifle.

I have a 35 Remington, in a Remington 141 pump and just 2 weeks ago I killed a deer with it at 181 yards with a peep sight. Bang-flop.
A bolt action 35 Remington should be quite accurate. So I see no down side to it. Sure, it's a close range round. So what?! I just proved it's 100% fine out to at least 181 yards.

When I was in my 20s I owned a Marlin 36 rifle in 35 Remington. I killed 7 deer in Nevada and Idaho with it, and my friend Greg killed a good sized bear with it too. All 1 shot kills.

Today we see nothing but praise for new guns and new cartridges and much of what we are told is statistically true, but it seems we forget
New and improved is often just new. The FACT that some of the older shells have more good kills, ranging over 100 year of success, and NOTHING new is going to make them any less effective than they ever were.

"New and improved" is often just new, but what worked for over 100 years will not stop working next 100 years. Improved is fine but improving how well a bullet flies has NOTHING to do with improving the skills of any hunter.

So if you have a Remington M7 in 35 Remington, GOOD FOR YOU!
Use it! Fill your freezer with venison and enjoy it.

Last edited by szihn; 10/14/20.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
670 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 71 invisible), 2,754 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,647
Posts18,399,078
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.