Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Just as it says but I am only considering MT. WY. or CO.. This would be for a rifle elk tag only. Would gladly accept a yearly cow tag with an occasional bull being available. Would also entertain access to private land/ranch land scenario.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
BP-B2

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Colorado. Lots of over the counter tags. For those, residency doesn’t matter. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don'tknow what the requirements are in other states but Colorado has thousands of leftover cow tags every year. And bull tags are Over-The-Counter purchases, unlimited in number. And you can buy both.

Three of us in my group have two cow tags - one from the second draw and one from the leftovers. I will be hunting cows in both 3rd and 4th Rifle seasons this year.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Unfortunately those thousands of unlimited OTC tags mean unlimited hunters.I have been hunting elk in Colorado since 1974. In the last 10 years or so,I have seen hunter numbers grow tremendously. If I were a nonresident hunter, I would look at Wy, MT or ID if I was shelling out those kind of dollars.

Colorado Wilderness areas are not as large as other states. In most cases if you get back in 8 miles, you will start meeting hunters coming in from the other, but anything less than 3-4 miles is pumpkin patch of orange

CPW way over estimates their elk herd numbers and suckers many non resident hunters into believing them.They quote success rate of 18-20 percent,but that includes bulls,cow,and calves.That means about 80 % of hunters are hiking in the woods with their rifles and having an expenssive camping trip

Last edited by saddlesore; 10/11/20.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Saddlesore is entirely correct. Most of the western half of the state is over the counter unlimited. The reason I feel the state does this is greed. They would sell unicorn permits if they thought they could find gullible people to buy them. They have little fear of reducing the elk population on the western slope because so few hunters ever see an elk in season. Most successful elk hunters I know take elk on private ranches. Those early pre season "scouting trips" people take drive elk in droves to private property so by season opening their are vastly diminished numbers on public land. Area's that used to be decent public hunting areas have been trampled by hikers, mountain bikers and joggers, yes joggers at 14,000'. The mountain trails that lead up the 14eeners used to see 4 to 5 people a day in the 90's now have overflow parking lots for their overflow parking lots. That is no exaduration . Just try to find a parking place if you want frustration. Several areas limit the number of hunters on public ground. I have hunted elk since 1969 and have a tally almost as high as saddlesore but I had no horses to help everything was done by shanks mare. I guided on a private ranch in the 1990's and we would observe a great increase in elk numbers on the ranch starting around a week before season upon the arrival of the "scouters". Elk would tear the ranch fences down getting onto safer grounds. So if elk is your goal, Colorado does offer hunting opportunities but very limited success on public land.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Unfortunately those thousands of unlimited OTC tags mean unlimited hunters.I have been hunting elk in Colorado since 1974. In the last 10 years or so,I have seen hunter numbers grow tremendously. If I were a nonresident hunter, I would look at Wy, MT or ID if I was shelling out those kind of dollars.

Colorado Wilderness areas are not as large as other states. In most cases if you get back in 8 miles, you will start meeting hunters coming in from the other, but anything less than 3-4 miles is pumpkin patch of orange

CPW way over estimates their elk herd numbers and suckers many none resident hunters into believing them.They quote success rate of 18-20 percent,but that includes bulls,cow,and calves.That means about 80 % of hunters are hiking in the woods with their rifles and having an

expenssive camping trip

Spot on!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Correct about Colorado. The last bull elk shot was in the timber below Mt. Evans in 1979.
The changes to Colorado are not just in the population or number of hunters.
The state government should have required visas approved before visiting or permanent residence.
Very disturbing for those who remember the 1960s-1970s. Not all change is beneficial to quality of life.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The problem with the "easy tags" in Wyoming is that they are sold to you for areas that fall into 1 of 2 categories.
#1 is land you can't get access to without paying outrageous fees or
#2 land you can't get into without a lot of time or a good horse, and sometimes both ----- and that land also has the highest concentration of Grizzlies in the world per square mile (more then any place in Alaska, Canada or Russia)

Going into the "Wilderness areas' is an excellent way to find elk and get one shot, but then you have 7-15 miles to bring it out. If you stay overnight you have bear problems and wolves. If you try to come right out you have time problems making the mileage before it gets dark. If you bring out some of it and go back the next day or 2, you find the bears and wolves have taken anything you left behind.

So I have to tell my friends the truth and say don't go for the "easy tags' Just apply for the good areas where you can get in and out and still get elk, and if you only draw ever 3 years, then that's just how it is. Easy tags mean hard to impossible hunts------- or in some cases hunts that cost as much as a fully guided hunt but you get no guide for that money.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Basic fact is CPW is a money manager, not a wildlife manager

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
^
^
^
^
^
Unfortunately that is 100% true of most states and Wyoming is NOT an exception.

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
We have some great cow tags in Wyoming with lots or public land to fill them. Not sure where szihn hunts but we have no issues with access to fill a cow tag in our part of the state. Our general areas have plenty of elk and no grizz or wolves.
Reduced price cow tags are random draw and like I said we have plenty of public ground to fill it. General licenses are also a decent hunt in our part of the state, again no grizz or wilderness needed to fill a tag.
I've never used horses to hunt either, not necessary to fill a tag.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Basic fact is CPW is a money manager, not a wildlife manager

Sad but true! Same way every state I hunt anymore including my home state.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
What do you interrupt as being easy? Over the Counter? Chance of filling tag? Price of tag?

Personally I would stay out of CO. Not going to say it's a bad place to hunt elk, but there is a lot of pressure on them there. Both hunting pressure and people pressure in general. If you can afford it a New Mexico Landowner tag can be an easy Tag. I killed my first Elk in NM on a LOT. But it was more than a few years ago and the price at the time was not bad. Might not be the case anymore.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
R

Texas, all you need is a Texas hunting Lic. , no draw, no Elk Tag required, very few hunters, free range, contact local ranchers thru TPW, there's some big bulls in West Texas. Thank me later. Rio7

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
What do you interrupt as being easy? Over the Counter? Chance of filling tag? Price of tag?

Personally I would stay out of CO. Not going to say it's a bad place to hunt elk, but there is a lot of pressure on them there. Both hunting pressure and people pressure in general. If you can afford it a New Mexico Landowner tag can be an easy Tag. I killed my first Elk in NM on a LOT. But it was more than a few years ago and the price at the time was not bad. Might not be the case anymore.

Just as it says - the ability to get an elk tag - cow mainly. The rest is up to me. Price is not a concern but I dislike an orange-clad tennis shoe hunt. Been hunting off a NM
ranch for 21 years now with 100% success on a combo of cows and bulls. Just checking out CO, WY and MT. as an option.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

Just as it says - the ability to get an elk tag - cow mainly. The rest is up to me. Price is not a concern but I dislike an orange-clad tennis shoe hunt. Been hunting off a NM
ranch for 21 years now with 100% success on a combo of cows and bulls. Just checking out CO, WY and MT. as an option.

Easy could mean over the counter, could mean landowner tags, but here is your answer from Rio7

Texas, all you need is a Texas hunting Lic. , no draw, no Elk Tag required, very few hunters, free range, contact local ranchers thru TPW, there's some big bulls in West Texas. Thank me later. Rio7

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
How about Arizona?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Cow Elk? - Idaho.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
CO.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I'm going to check out Texas seeing as I'm a resident. I didn't realize we had that prolific of a heard here. All I've ever heard much about was mule deer. Not that I'm against mule deer but not enough difference it them and White Tail to be spending extra money.

Last edited by Filaman; 10/13/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
218 members (12344mag, 160user, 257 roberts, 257robertsimp, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 24 invisible), 1,873 guests, and 860 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,793
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.