Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just read the ruger scope ring chart. That's mighty cool:

The factory supplied front medium ring, is used as the rear ring for lowering scope. Only requiring a single additional ring to purchase.

BP-B6

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Personally I vastly prefer the Mk II stainless to the Hawkeye AW. I don't care for the finish on the AW it scratches too easily and looks like crap after a while. The MK II is the perfect rifle for all weather such as what you get in Alaska.

Is Ruger still using that delicate matte finish? When the Hawkeyes first came out the finish was easily blemished. Eventually they went to a satin finish but I haven't kept up with how they're doing them for specific configs like the Hawkeye AW.

The main improvement to the Hawkeye for me is the slimmer stock.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Personally I vastly prefer the Mk II stainless to the Hawkeye AW. I don't care for the finish on the AW it scratches too easily and looks like crap after a while. The MK II is the perfect rifle for all weather such as what you get in Alaska.

My sentiments exactly!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I own 3 left handed Hawkeyes, all are stainless with the gray laminated stocks, .270 Win, .25-06 and .300 WM. All three have trigger springs from "Ernie the gunsmith". I bedded the .25-06 and the .300 WM, although they shot acceptably before hand. The .25-06 is the most accurate gun I own, the .300 WM and .270 are right behind it. They're all nice positive feeding and extracting guns and the Ruger rings are rock solid.

The only possible improvements that I could see Ruger making is a slightly larger safety (like a Win 70 style) and less bolt throw. With some of the euro scopes (with the larger ocular size) it can get a little close.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Just read the ruger scope ring chart. That's mighty cool:

The factory supplied front medium ring, is used as the rear ring for lowering scope. Only requiring a single additional ring to purchase.

Yes indeed. Works well with 40mm 1” Leupold models.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by gsganzer
I own 3 left handed Hawkeyes, all are stainless with the gray laminated stocks, .270 Win, .25-06 and .300 WM. All three have trigger springs from "Ernie the gunsmith". I bedded the .25-06 and the .300 WM, although they shot acceptably before hand. The .25-06 is the most accurate gun I own, the .300 WM and .270 are right behind it. They're all nice positive feeding and extracting guns and the Ruger rings are rock solid.

The only possible improvements that I could see Ruger making is a slightly larger safety (like a Win 70 style) and less bolt throw. With some of the euro scopes (with the larger ocular size) it can get a little close.

I too own a LH SS/LAM Hawkeye in 25-06. less then 20 rounds fired. removed the scope and put it back in the safe.Gotta love the 24" mag conyour barrel on it. Just thought I'd set it aside after i watched them dry up so fast. Guess I'm waitting for the right trade to come down the line. If not I will happily keep it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I wish companies like howa would quit trying to pass cerekote off as stainless. They don't cerekote the bore and that's where I like some extra corrosion resistance. If they want to narrow what they are manufacturing drop the blued steel stuff and make everything out of stainless.

If peopled want blued looking or matte black guns offer the stainless in a nitrided version. I wonder how many more dollars stainless material is at their cost verses blued steel. You don't have to blue or coat SS so it seems like that could offset some of the steel material price differences.

Bb

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
An all American, all SS rifle with a durable stock of any material.... What if it would weigh upwards of 8-9#'s ready to hunt? What if it only shot minute of deer to a mere 350-400yds? What if it didn't have TACT-I-COOL stamped on it anywhere? Nice thought. Will never work unfortunately. If someone takes this idea and runs with it or already has, please let me know. I'll take three!

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Just got a mk2 .308 boat paddle. Needs cleaned up a bit ( total camo spray can job by prev owner ).
Metal is back to bare stainless.

The stock would be Ok w decent recoil pad and reg studs for swivels.

Looks like Leupold doesnt make stainless med rings for Rugers anymore.
I hate Ruger rings.

Last edited by hookeye; 10/11/20.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak
Ridge, you can go to Japan for a Howa, to the bankruptcy buy-out for a Remington, to Serbia for a Zastava, to the Czech Republic for a 550, to Portugal for a Winchester model 70 or to Finland for a plasTikka.

Affordability, with a bunch of rugged features, you can pick up a Bugger Cockeyed 77 that is and always will be made in the United States of America.

It'll come out of the box in rough shape, you will drink a Budweiser, you will fly an American flag, then fill your fkn freezer.

Hahaha well said. And I love my Tikka. But I love my Ruger more. Very we’ll said!

IC B3

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
To answer the original post: I have often wondered that myself. A good and stout synthetic stock, nice quality of SS for the barred action and a decent price tag!!! Imho the Hawkeye is nothing like my 2 Mkii rifles. The checkering on the Hawkeye is all messed up and fine detail ain't there. Buy used or a Tikka.

God, Family, and Guns. Be strong in your beliefs and work hard.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Lw308
To answer the original post: I have often wondered that myself. A good and stout synthetic stock, nice quality of SS for the barred action and a decent price tag!!! Imho the Hawkeye is nothing like my 2 Mkii rifles. The checkering on the Hawkeye is all messed up and fine detail ain't there. Buy used or a Tikka.

IMO the Mark II is a turd compared to the Hawkeye

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have had very accurate MKII and Hawkeye rifles and some of both that were only so so. I have had several that developed ejector issues and some MKII especially that had awful factory triggers. That said, I really like the whole M77 series and find myself hunting with them a lot.

Always remember that you are unique, just like everyone else.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
How frickin stupid does Ruger have too be too not offer just a basic fuggin Hawkeye with a stainless barrel with a decent synthetic stock.

Oh and I forgot too add don’t flute the stupid barrel . Don’t flute the stupid bolt, a normal looking bolt handle oh and just get a freaking hinged floor plate. How dang hard is it?

Well, back in 2009 when I bought this 308 Ruger Hawkeye All Weather, that is exactly what it was. Non fluted barrel / bolt with a hinged floor plate. But then I had the bolt and barrel fluted. I like it fluted, different strokes, Grandkids did the paint job.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Ed
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 308ld
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
How frickin stupid does Ruger have too be too not offer just a basic fuggin Hawkeye with a stainless barrel with a decent synthetic stock.

Oh and I forgot too add don’t flute the stupid barrel . Don’t flute the stupid bolt, a normal looking bolt handle oh and just get a freaking hinged floor plate. How dang hard is it?

Well, back in 2009 when I bought this 308 Ruger Hawkeye All Weather, that is exactly what it was. Non fluted barrel / bolt with a hinged floor plate. But then I had the bolt and barrel fluted. I like it fluted, different strokes, Grandkids did the paint job.

What's it weigh now?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, it's not a lightweight. All up just like it is 7lbs 13oz. I also have an Ultra Lite Ruger Hawkeye, .257 Roberts, 20" barrel, Standard action, Blued/walnut, and that weights 7lbs 14oz all up.

Last edited by 308ld; 10/13/20.

Ed
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by 308ld
Well, it's not a lightweight. All up just like it is 7lbs 13oz. I also have an Ultra Lite Ruger Hawkeye, .257 Roberts, 20" barrel, Standard action, Blued/walnut, and that weights 7lbs 14oz all up.

Thanks. Here's a link to a lightened Ruger: ruger guide gun 416....extreme make over

I
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I
I’m surprised they don’t offer a stainless/all weather version as well. Perhaps they have a new model that’s coming out with ceracote or something. Seems to be the trend.
Nitrocarburized/FNC barrels would be awesome.

For those who don’t know, Ruger has a “Tell the CEO” option where you can send emails to the CEO directly.
I just sent a message yesterday asking about a stainless/synthetic Hawkeye (as well as a few other suggestions). Wish I would’ve suggested FNC barrels as well.

Here’s the link if anyone wants to write him:

https://www.ruger.com/dataProcess/tellTheCEO/

Last edited by Iron_ghost; 10/18/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I wish companies like howa would quit trying to pass cerekote off as stainless. They don't cerekote the bore and that's where I like some extra corrosion resistance. If they want to narrow what they are manufacturing drop the blued steel stuff and make everything out of stainless.

If peopled want blued looking or matte black guns offer the stainless in a nitrided version. I wonder how many more dollars stainless material is at their cost verses blued steel. You don't have to blue or coat SS so it seems like that could offset some of the steel material price differences.

Bb

You can thank LSI, the importer, not Howa, for that. I suspect they thought they could turn a quick buck somehow with that bad idea. Weatherby still sells some in SS, and lo and behold, LSI has a couple too, including a SS with a walnut stock, which was the model I inquired about at my LGS. Someone on here from OZ said that they even get SS Minis. I’m hoping that eventually Brownells, the exclusive distributer here for the barreled actions, will snag some in SS eventually.

I have a Knight ML that’s nitride over SS, about as good as it gets.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
It even worse for left handed folk. I feel fortunate in that I picked up one of the Ruger Scout rifles in 308 and a Hawkeye compact riflenin 338RCM. Other than the bolt starting out a little rough in action I really love these rifles and the compact feel and handling. The triggers on mine are excellent and they are accurate rifles. I am planning on getting a stainless scout version if possible.

Ive got some old milsurp collectable 30-06 rifles but nothing left hand. I always wanted a commercial left hand 30-06 and yesterday I picked up a used MKII 30-06 locally. The finish is blued but far better than current Ruger products and the action while longer than my short action versions is smooth and tighter. The MKII is nicely put together but the trigger is amongst the worst on a bolt action ive come across. Price was $400 but I feel that is fair and I walked away with a true left hand 30-06 ive always wanted and I will address the trigger myself. I truly wish Ruger would just keep some models of stainless available for the 77 Hawkeye models. They don't have to make huge runs, but at least enough to supply the market and get the finish up to level it was in the tanger and MKII era. Im happy to have the 3 left hand 77 riflesni scored and they are my go to bolt actions. Theres plenty of crappy synthetic stocked rifles out there companies build for cheap and sell for high profit margin. Lots of them. But whats really lacking in the market are the classic hunting rifles and we are losing that heritage. There isn't any more Remington (i could care less), and winchester really doesn't exist anymore, and Ruger is alive and well but mostly caters to the polymer and cheap product market. I hope Ruger at least does runs of their classic rifles in the future.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
636 members (007FJ, 257Bob, 01Foreman400, 222ND, 160user, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,796 guests, and 1,420 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,655
Posts18,399,237
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.