Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
mikieb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I am currently shopping for a new boat... looking high and low... I could buy new if I need to. Sitting on my hands waiting for a fair deal on just the right boat.

Doing my research... I see Evinrude and Johnson motor options are no longer available because they went out of business.

Yamaha, Honda and a few other Japanese manufacture motors are available but tough to find.

I do however.... see a whole bunch of Mercury motors on boats all over. Some boat makers will only let you have a Mercury motor on their boats. I see Mercury motors from 6hp to 60hp are all made in China.

I see Mercury manufacturing plant in Fond Du Lac Wisconsin received 50 million in government tax dollars to train and retain workers... AND, at the same time got an exemption on import tariffs on the boat motors they import under their name from China . So, if they are importing all these small outboard motors from China... what did they need the 50 Million for ?

Why are my tax dollars being used to boost the profits of an importer for a Chinese manufacturer... when the Evinrude plant in Sturdivant Wisconsin goes the way of Pontiac and Studebaker...

Just thinking. Would you drop $5750.00 for a Chinese boat motor ?

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

They only win.... when they cheat.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably not knowingly now but I've got a 40 hp "Merc" that was part of a pkg. deal came on a new 17 foot Tracker I've had for seven years. I've used it for bass fishing and trout with a trolling plate. I change the oil & filter once a year and that's it. Still using the original spark plug. It's never had a problem, runs smooth and strong. I can understand not buying one on principle but I'd have to say mine's been a good reliable motor that works as good as any of the five or six American made Mercs I've owned.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mikieb
I am currently shopping for a new boat...Sitting on my hands waiting for a fair deal on just the right boat...
Would you drop $5750.00 for a Chinese boat motor ?

First, I would not buy a Chinese motor.

If you're sitting on your hands, waiting for a fair deal to come along, you are not serious about buying. When you actually do get serious about it, you will put in the effort to locate and be the first one to respond when the right boat turns up in your search. Then be relentless about negotiating a fair price.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You picked a tough time to buy a boat - prices are sky high as demand has outstripped supply. Used boats are going for crazy high prices. I bought a Robalo 206 in June, came with a Yamaha 150 from the factory.- there was no choice in the motor, factory package deal even if you ordered the boat (with a four - five month wait time). I was lucky, found one in dealer stock close by before they were all gone. Some manufacturers will give you a choice in motor brands but others don't. As to Mercury being Chinese now, I didn't know that until I read your post. I have only owned two boats and motors; a Suzuki 90 on my first boat and the Yamaha on my current boat. The Suzuki was 7 years old when I traded the boat/motor on my new boat - it never gave me a moments trouble. I've seen another brand of smaller size motors at some of the dealers showrooms, TOHATSU - but I have no idea who builds it.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Odessa - Tohatsu makes the smaller Mercury motors.. smile

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a 2021 Tracker Classic XL ordered. It comes with a 50-hp Merc. I had no idea those motors were made in China, but then what isn't these days? So are your fish finders, rods, reels, line, lures, PFDs, trolling motors, batteries...

If you're going to avoid one, you'd better be ready to give up all the rest.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info Spotshooter, good to know.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

M
mikieb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I would want an Evinrude if it was possible... but, barring that. I would want a Japanese boat motor over a Chinese manufactured motor.

www.jsonline.com/story/money/2018/1...hinese-made-outboard-engines/2430626002/

Well... we have come to the point.... where... the parasites are killing the host. It's only a matter of time now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tohatsu is Japanese, not Chinese. Tohatsu makes the Mercury motors 40 hp and under. If I remember correctly some of our Coast Guard members here told of using the Tohatsu/Mercury motors in their work and they gave very good service.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MOGC
Tohatsu is Japanese, not Chinese. Tohatsu makes the Mercury motors 40 hp and under....

Tohatsu is a Japanese company. That does not mean that some of their motors are not made in China.

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If true that's news to me.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Tohatsu and Mercury formed a joint venture in 1988 to develop and sell outboard motors. They share development and manufacturing costs to build smaller outboards at a plant in Japan.

Click Here

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Tohatsu and Honda also work together.

M
mikieb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Ok, Ok.... I can buy a black Tohatsu with red stickers.... How do you figure out witch black Tohatsu motors are made in Japan ? I need the 30 to 40 hp range...

There must be someone that works for a boat dealer that sells Murcury boat motors on here that can check in and give us all the scoop ?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems to me like you may be overthinking it just a little.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
But I just called Blake at Mercury Support and asked him exactly which motors were made where. He tells me that 25HP and under are made in a joint venture with Tohatsu. Everything above 25HP up to and including the 60Hp is assembled in China. BUT... All critical parts (shafts, Cams, Gearboxes, and etc.) are manufactured in Fon Du Lac, Wisconsin. 75HP and above are manufactured completely in Fon Du Lac.

I'm sure that Tohatsu has a US service and support team to answer questions, too.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

M
mikieb Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by johnw
Seems to me like you may be overthinking it just a little.

Yup.... Probably so.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good info JohnW.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's a vid of the Fond du Lac operation...

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,926 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,357
Posts18,468,926
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.