Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S

I’m going to start doing squirrel this year, but all my knives are deer & elk - I can’t even find my old small game blades.

Well that’s good enough of an excuse for me (I may have quit looking early on purpose).

Show me some nice squirrel and bird blades !!

BP-B2

P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
[Linked Image]

One like this is what my dad used for as long as I can remember. It was the only pocket knife he would carry.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would post a picture but for some reason postimages seems to not be working. Most of the cutting I do on squawk is with game shears. The four legs, head, guts and being separated into four quarters and back saddle is done with an old pair of Gerber game shears. The tail cut to initiate skinning is done with a Menefee Trapper folding knife or a small fixed blade like a Bob Dozier Canoe Knife.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'd get an Ontario Rat 2 with D2 steel. Best for the money that I know about.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
It is hard to beat a Case Trapper or Mini Trapper. However, Lazy R Cowboy Knives makes one called tree rat that I hear is pretty special. They aren’t the best looking, but pretty specialized for the purpose. There may be a YouTube video of a guy skinning with one.

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My absolute favorite is the Dozier K-12 Small Game Skinner. Can't be beat.

RS

http://www.dozierknives.com/images/documents/k12.jpg

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i've had this one for close to 50 years and hundreds of skirrels. i bought my sons each one as well. they are not a super high quality knife by todays standards but they will sharpen easily to razor sharpness and are just the right size for most game.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.co...-bird-and-trout-fixed-blade-sheath-knife

My diploma is a DD214
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
That is one heck of a good looking knife.

Queen steel is harder than anything I have ever sharpened, I’ve had people bring them to me because they couldn’t touch them with regular stones.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by rem141r
i've had this one for close to 50 years and hundreds of skirrels. i bought my sons each one as well. they are not a super high quality knife by todays standards but they will sharpen easily to razor sharpness and are just the right size for most game.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RipSnort
My absolute favorite is the Dozier K-12 Small Game Skinner. Can't be beat.

RS

http://www.dozierknives.com/images/documents/k12.jpg

I like Dozier, but I don't care for the finger grooves. I prefer the Canoe Knife from Dozier because I can slide the knife around and change positions with it easier and it's more comfortable in different hand positions without the grooves. Good D2 steel will take you through a bunch of squirrels and still be razor sharp afterward.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
I make the tail cut with the small blade of a Swiss Army Tinker and everything else I do with a set of Gerber game shears.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
That is one heck of a good looking knife.

Queen steel is harder than anything I have ever sharpened, I’ve had people bring them to me because they couldn’t touch them with regular stones.

Thanks!

Originally Posted by rem141r

you can get them for a lot cheaper than that link too. i don't think i paid over 30 or so bucks for either of my sons a few years ago. one was newish and the other was used and the sheath was beat up. my nieces husband made really nice little monogrammed sheaths for them anyway.

My diploma is a DD214
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I use a TL 29. I have had it for more than 50 years from when I first went into the army.. it was issued to me but I don't know what year it has a wooden walnut handle but the metal loop is gone and I don't know what happened to it... I also have a later one that has a plastic handle, it is still complete with the carry loop.. I was issued it just before I retired. the blade is shaped very well to skin squirrels... I keep the older one razor sharp for skinning squirrels...they can be bought on line .. just google them up..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My Case SlimLine Trapper has worked on several for me, I carry it every day for everything.

If buying a knife just for small game I would look at a Mini Trapper.

I do have a Jap made Cold Steel Mini Hunter that would be a handy fixed blade for the nut munchers.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I picked up a set of Open Season knives from Buck with S35V steel and micarta scales. This one is pretty handy.
Buck Open Season S35V

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Been using a Case or Schrade medium Stockman pocket knife to clean small game and for all the critters I trapped over the last 50 or so years. Never saw the need for anything special for skinnin' little critters.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
The Opinel kids knife works well. File a notch in the blade for breaking bones.

Living in a world of G17s and 700s, wishing for P7s and 202s
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sharps4590
Been using a Case or Schrade medium Stockman pocket knife to clean small game and for all the critters I trapped over the last 50 or so years. Never saw the need for anything special for skinnin' little critters.

Some squirrel hunters use the least expensive Marlin or Savage .22 rifle they can lay their hands on and are happy with that. Others use a Cooper Jackson Squirrel Rifle. Both kill squirrels.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I prefer a small drop point fixed blade knife for squirrels or rabbits. I've used a variety of folders and fixed blades with different shapes and lengths; I like a 2-3/4"-3" length thin blade, overall knife length in the area of 7". Two favorites l use are an Easler custom and A.G.Russell Gents Hunter. Game shears are handy too, along with fish skinning pliers to grasp and pull with, as I have some nasty arthritis and neuropathy issues making some days pretty painful.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
That sir is one pricey do-dad...

Originally Posted by Nebraska
I picked up a set of Open Season knives from Buck with S35V steel and micarta scales. This one is pretty handy.
Buck Open Season S35V

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I like the Opinel #8 Gardening Knife. Stainless, sharp, good blade and handle shape. Add a lanyard made from #275 paracord and you're ready to go afield.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
440 members (300jimmy, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 48 invisible), 2,160 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.