Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have a couple of spots that I don't think gets much hunting pressure due to the fact that accessing them would require a "wet" creek crossing. Both of these creeks are pretty small and shallow (probably 30-40 feet wide and no more than knee deep at the deepest part). The current in both of these streams is pretty tame and crossing would be relatively easy. Even though I have really good hunting boots with Gortex (Crispi Nevadas) the water is deep enough to go over the top of my boots.

I have racked my brain about this and come up with only two options:
- Some kind of really thick plastic bag that would come up over my knees that I could secure with a stout heavy rubber band.
- Take a lite pair of tennis shoes and take off my boots, socks, and pants and cross in just tennis shoes and bare legs (a rather cold option).

How do you guys do creek crossings???

Last edited by Calcoyote; 10/13/20.
GB1

V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Merrell bare access trail shoes...

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
What Temps are we talking here?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Sourdough slippers. I am not sure if they're made anymore though.
I've taken a pair of sandals too and they work fine if you don't mind the cold water for the crossing. I'd take a towel too just to dry your feet off before putting your socks and boots back on. With them vs tennis shoes you won't be carrying the water logged shoes around all day with you.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

water/aqua/pool shoes.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Keen H20/Newports.

Don't ask me about my military service or heroic acts...most of it is untrue.

Pronoun: Yes, SIR !
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Good water sandal - the plastic bag option doesn’t pass the leak test when you want it to...YMMV

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Crocs. If really cold, wading pants and crocs.

Neos made a version of the sourdough slipper that has a sole to it. Never used them, they were not tall enough for what I was doing, but could work for you.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
What Temps are we talking here?

October Deer Season - Morning temps around 35-40
Nov Elk Season - Morning temps around 25-35

The creeks I am referring to are in Oregon. Temps can be a little more mild than the Rockies.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by AH64guy
Good water sandal - the plastic bag option doesn’t pass the leak test when you want it to...YMMV

That is my fear. Wet feet in the morning with 35 degree weather makes for a pretty miserable day. I was wondering if there was some kind of rugged tough plastic that is much thicker and tougher than a garbage bag. Such a bag might not exist.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Frogg Toggs Canyon II Breathable Stockingfoot Hip Wader.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’ve been using a pair of Merrill water shoes for a lot of years. I’ve tried heavy plastic bags over my boots but they are slippery on the rocks and they get leaks easy.
For crossing creeks I recommend a shoe that is secure on your feet. It’s easy to slip and lose a slip on style shoe. Also easy for a loose fitting slip on to rotate on your foot in loose round river rock and then your foot gets beat up. I’ve always wanted to try Wiggys ultralite waders but haven’t yet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Barney’s glacier socks are terrific for crossing sloughs. I wear them inside my boots and roll them down and tuck under my pant legs after crossing. Not as cheap as trash compactor bags, but I have a pair that are 20 yrs old and still holding up.

Eat moose, burn spruce
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Been thinking about the same thing. My plan is to put my Simms chest waders in my pack with wading boots. Put them on, and cross. Hang in tree for return trip. Only takes a minute to put waders on and it’s guaranteed you won’t get wet.

We hunt for a week straight wearing chest waders too when moose hunting. 12 hours a day, many miles. The waders/boots are so good now that you might want to consider just keeping them on. A wading belt and the should straps clipped around your waste keeps them snug around your waste. I have the Simms g4 waders and boots. I am going to get the studs for the boots but my waders see far more hunting use than fishing.

Last edited by Calvin; 10/14/20.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Calcoyote
Originally Posted by AH64guy

That is my fear. Wet feet in the morning with 35 degree weather makes for a pretty miserable day. I was wondering if there was some kind of rugged tough plastic that is much thicker and tougher than a garbage bag. Such a bag might not exist.

The heavy duty Contractor bags work - usually - but by the time you carry a couple, enough tape or ties and such to secure the excess material, etc - it’s getting away from easy.

A micro fiber towel and water shoes will have more uses on the trip, than the two big bags you have keep secured for the return trip.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Micro towel and Crocks work great. I wear the crocks around camp.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
But if it is cold then that changes things up.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Depends on how far from the truck the crossing is. If it’s close then probably whatever kind of wader you have. Far away, wade across barefoot or with sandals or even extra pair of socks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My plan was the Keen Newports, hiking sticks, and a towel but left them at the truck. Made the first of seven crossing ok but took a spill on the third and that was it for that area that day. It was in the low 30s. Never made it back.

"There is no excellance in Archery without great labor".
Maurice Thompson 1879

Nothing clears a troubled mind better than shooting a bow.
Fred Bear
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
For very limited use, Amazon has these packable nylon slip on waders that go over your boots. They're cheap, too. For a 1 or 2 time use, they might work.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1Akshooter, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 51 invisible), 2,597 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,330
Posts18,468,566
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.