24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Hodgdon powders can now be ordered direct through Hodgdon.

Click For Powder.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Look, I'm all for free enterprise and all that. However, I've got a dark feeling about this.

Back when I was a young guy, I worked in a technical sales position for a local computer networking firm. This was at the dawn of computer networks in the office. Most customers were getting their first taste. Some were new to computers as a whole or they were replacing mainframes. We had distributors that would sell us whatever we needed, and then we'd mark it up and resell it, providing our services along the way. We made all our real profit on services, so our markup on things like monitors and keyboards and such was light.

One of my boss' primary rules were to not source stuff from distributors that also sold retail to the public. His reasoning was that they made direct competitors, and at any point they could screw us.

Here we have Hodgdon going direct to the public via the internet. We also have them now gobbling up most of the domestic powder business. It used to be that everyone had choices of who they bought from. If (A) had lower prices than (B) , you could buy from (A). Now (H) owns everything and is now competing with the online retailers. This could be devastating to guys like Powder Valley and other companies who rely on a strategy of taking a low profit margin and making up for it in volume.

As I said: dark feelings about this.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Apparently, Hodgdon thinks they can charge much more for powder once their distributors are out of business.

ETA: I just checked the site. Those are pretty much F-U prices, but are probably low compared to 5 years from now.

Last edited by Tyrone; 10/15/20.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
The prices you see are MSRP. I would expect nothing less. Hodgson's intent is to make the powder available to its customers and disable the price gougers.

I'm glad Hodgdon has taken this step, I hope other manufacturers follow suit.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Is there gouging going on?

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’m thankful I have plenty

J
J23 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I don't like monopolies, especially in the gun industry, and ESPECIALLY in today's anti-gun climate.

"Ignorance is acceptable, because you can remedy it with knowledge and research. Stupidity is when you guard your ignorance."
Ted Nugent

"Idolizing a politician is like believing the stripper really likes you."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I want to hear first hand experience from people who have ordered directly from them. Hopefully some will post here.

The chances they come, and the chances they go.
But the time. You don't get that back.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I lucked out yesterday. THere is a VERY small gunshop near my house and I was in there to arrange for an FFL delivery. Low and behold there was an 8# tub of H-4350 for 215 bucks. It's mine now. Used to be an easy powder to get before the Creedmoor doofuses went off the deep end. Another reason to hate the 6.5 smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Federal is doing the same thing. There is ammo on its site that isn't currently available anywhere else.

------------------------
John
IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
There is one reason only that a corporate entity decides to 'single source' it's product...profit.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Apparently, Hodgdon thinks they can charge much more for powder once their distributors are out of business.

ETA: I just checked the site. Those are pretty much F-U prices, but are probably low compared to 5 years from now.

Wow, just checked powder valley H1000 8 pounder 216.00, Hodgdon direct 225.95 yep I can see where Hodgdons is really gouging the sh*t out of people. But then I received news from powder valley that prices could go up 10%, but looks like Hodgdons only went up 5%.

Swifty
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
tag

Dong Ha Vietnam '67
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I support local businesses daily, however, Hodgdon is not hurting anyone by sales to the public as full MSRP. Most Mom and Pop stores sale a few bucks bellow that to be competitive and make a decent profit. The plus side is it also gives us access to the full product line whereas not all stores are going to carry every powder.
More than one manufacturer sells to the public in the same manner.
Also bet Amazon trucks show up at the home of the critics houses from time to time.
GreggH

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shaman
Look, I'm all for free enterprise and all that. However, I've got a dark feeling about this.

Back when I was a young guy, I worked in a technical sales position for a local computer networking firm. This was at the dawn of computer networks in the office. Most customers were getting their first taste. Some were new to computers as a whole or they were replacing mainframes. We had distributors that would sell us whatever we needed, and then we'd mark it up and resell it, providing our services along the way. We made all our real profit on services, so our markup on things like monitors and keyboards and such was light.

One of my boss' primary rules were to not source stuff from distributors that also sold retail to the public. His reasoning was that they made direct competitors, and at any point they could screw us.

Here we have Hodgdon going direct to the public via the internet. We also have them now gobbling up most of the domestic powder business. It used to be that everyone had choices of who they bought from. If (A) had lower prices than (B) , you could buy from (A). Now (H) owns everything and is now competing with the online retailers. This could be devastating to guys like Powder Valley and other companies who rely on a strategy of taking a low profit margin and making up for it in volume.

As I said: dark feelings about this.

Their prices are above what I can get it locally. They may have it but you are going to pay a premium for it.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I wouldn't pay over $185 for a jug of H1000. You can disagree.

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Right now, availability from any source is a good thing.

Sam......

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Wow, just checked powder valley H1000 8 pounder 216.00, Hodgdon direct 225.95 yep I can see where Hodgdons is really gouging the sh*t out of people. But then I received news from powder valley that prices could go up 10%, but looks like Hodgdons only went up 5%.

The prices on the web site were about the same as what I looked at Whittakers last week, at least what they had. Don't know how much shipping is, but it is nice to be able to get powder. Wish producers would start direct selling Small Rifle primers also.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I don't think the prices are too bad considering the lack of inventory out there. 8# of Clays is less than 5% higher than what I paid for my last bottle and a few years before that it was impossible to get. Until things settle down, it is what it is. Better than going without.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
636 members (1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 73 invisible), 2,756 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,648
Posts18,399,130
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.