Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Trying to decide between the No Fly Zone socks and the more traditional usually canvas mosquito booties. Anyone have a source for the traditional ones? I have seen them on the internet and in African sporting goods stores but can't locate them again. I think they will be useful for camping and just sitting on the back porch.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Skedattle Mosquito Repellant is the best I have ever used. Non-toxic to humans & smells really good.

www.mexitan.com

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks I will give it a try. Other natural bug repellents I have used including ones I have made absorbed through the skin so quickly that I would need to re-apply them every 30 minutes.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Skedattle won’t absorb. It remains topical to the point you will have to shower to remove it. I love the Lemongrass smell.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
A
A
Originally Posted by Tejano
Trying to decide between the No Fly Zone socks and the more traditional usually canvas mosquito booties. Anyone have a source for the traditional ones? I have seen them on the internet and in African sporting goods stores but can't locate them again. I think they will be useful for camping and just sitting on the back porch.

You'll want to wear them to avoid African mosquitos. My first experience hunting in Africa was hell, it is like the mosquitos are everywhere, I came back to the States to treat Acute Malaria. You don't want to end up that way, worst feeling than Covid-19. Malaria has killed millions.

Open society is the answer to justice and equality.
IC B2

T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Good advice, I take I believe Chloraquine (sp?) before going to any tropical area. Also get any CDC recommended vaccines before hand.. Repellent doesn't work all that well with Tsetse flies so a physical barrier is added insurance.

A friend got malaria in Sierra Leone and it never ever was completely eliminated, he could get fevers at any time.

The only mosquito boots I can find are the RAF flight boot and ones for horses. The tick gaiters will probably work but are warmer and thicker than I want.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I
Why bother?

The mosquitos have plenty of other places to bite you.

Treat your clothes with pirethrin. Ticks area sorse problem.

On three safaris during dry seasons, I saw exactly one mosquito anyway. I took Malarone before, during, and after my trips, as prescribed.

Tse tse flies hurt. Mopane bees irritate you but don't bite. Deep Woods Off says it's good for up to 10 hours. Mopane bees can't tell time, apparently. Best thing for them is light up a big ball of dried elephant dung and stay dowwind. You can walk faster than they an fly.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
T
Tejano Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Yes during the dry season not much of a problem, but I was thinking state side too.

The Skedattle seems to work well and it smells different than any other sort of organic type repellent I have used. It has an almost licorice smell to it. Thanks again. I will still treat my socks with pirethrin in bad tick, chigger or just buggy locations.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

656 members (1badf350, 16penny, 10Glocks, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,471 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,856
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.