Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Docbar Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I’ve killed about 30 whitetails, mostly with a 243, 270 30/06, and 300 WSM. I seem to get better bloodtrails with the 30 calibers than the others. Does anyone else notice better bloodtrails once you reach a certain caliber size?

BP-B6

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Dunno. I haven't killed a deer with less than 35 cal. in 20+ years and all but one fell where they stood. The one exception was a muley forkhorn. He turned around before he fell.

NRA Benefactor 2008

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me." John 14-6

There is no right way to do a wrong thing
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Yes. On average, thirty seems to begin leaving more red stuff on the ground and .35 more, lots more but, not as much as .45.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
D
Docbar Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by Joe
Yes. On average, thirty seems to begin leaving more red stuff on the ground and .35 more, lots more but, not as much as .45.

I haven’t noticed much difference between 243 and 270, but I have with 30.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Docbar
I’ve killed about 30 whitetails, mostly with a 243, 270 30/06, and 300 WSM. I seem to get better bloodtrails with the 30 calibers than the others. Does anyone else notice better bloodtrails once you reach a certain caliber size?

On average, I see better blood trails with .30, .338, and .358 stuff than I do with the smaller chamberings, but it is expected. There are outlying incidents, of course, but on average, the larger bores seem to produce larger exits, which often equate to more leakage.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
12 gauge slug guns spill a fair amount of barn paint wink

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Am content w .35 rem in the timber. Spillage is rather soon and the deer is usually dead just over there (75 yards max).

I have a new .3006 to try, and snagged a .308 win last week

Only shot one deer w 243 win and it zipped through and the BT was minimal. I watched him walk off and tip over.
Worked, and 1 data point aint enough to make a call.

Killed a couple w .44 mag. Works but not impressed

I changed a few yrs back, when running lower V stuff, to break at least one shoulder. Kinda diggin neck shots these days. Bang flop.

Do enjoy blood trailing though.

Last edited by hookeye; 10/15/20.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
In my experience the best blood trails come from full penetration with exits from hits at the mid line or lower and especially when the bullets are relatively low in their velocity.
My old friend Cy Moorhead, a trauma surgeon in Korea and Vietnam and also as a civilian doctor with over 30 years of practice explained it to me. He said the platelets in the blood are released instantly when red blood cells are ruptured by the attempts to compress the liquid. Liquids can't be compressed, but the semi-solids can be, so they rupture. The process turns part of the blood into a substance called fibrin which is what causes clotting.

Hits with bullets over about 2600 FPS do this instantly to the blood, and that why we see the:"jello" on the inside when we dress the game. Low velocity hits don't do it to the extreme that high velocity hits do. Blades don't rupture the cells at all and the process of clotting is much slower with deep cuts than it is with high velocity bullets. Bullets do a lot of damage to organs around the wound because if the shock they produce, which we don't see with blades, but nothing bleeds more freely then a cut with a blade.

Back to bullet wounds:

So the shock we see from the magnums is not as pronounced in the mid velocity hits. Real high velocity rounds tend to drop game in their tracks most times if your bullet doesn't fail, but there are always a percentage that seem to run off, and run farther then those hit with the older rounds that throw bullets at around 2500 FPS (which strike at even lower speeds) and give exits. Cy told me as a man with 50+ years as a hunter and also a surgeon with a 47 year long job before he retired, hits with projectiles that impact at 2100 FPS and lower bleed out a lot more then those that clot fast from the dump of fibrin due to hydrostatic shock from hits at 2600 and faster. Heavy pistol bullets cause bleeds that seem very voluminous, with blood trails looking like they come from a hose. The reason is that the hits don't rupture any red-blood cells due to hydrostatic compression so fibrin is formed too slow to stop the blood flow.

Looking back on my 50+ years of killing game and seeing game killed, I see what he was talking about. But I have seen some weird performances with mid velocity hits a few times too, so there are no formulas that are without exception.

Kills on game with large bullets from "slow rounds" like 8X57s with 170-180 grain bullets, 300 Savage with 180s grains, 35 Reminton with 200 grains, 303 Brit with 180s, 30-40 Krag with 220s, 30-06 with 220s, 45-70s with cast bullets, 44 magnums with hard cast flat point bullets ---and so on.........all seem too be extremely deadly with chest hits and yet many times the game runs a short distance after such hits, leaving a blood trail a blind man could follow. But such runs are very common and they are short because the game bleeds out REAL fast and can't go very far.

Kills with fast rounds like 270 with 130 grains, 30-06 with 150s grains 7MM mags with 140-150 grains, 300 mags with 150 and 165 grain and so on, usually drop game almost instantly about 90-95% of the time, but when you get to the last percentage, the ones that run..........they can and sometimes do run a long ways. The reason is the bullet caused it's one clotting and the brain is not cut off from blood pressure as fast as those that lost all the blood in the body cavity and on the ground.

Those hit with super fast bullets that break up can add another factor. Wounds that sometimes don't go very deep or that turn off-line to an extent you don't hit the things inside you wanted to hit, and/or do as much damage as you intended.

But these observations are generalities, not immutable laws.

I have seen low velocity bullet do weird things a few times and I have seen very poorly made bullet kill like lightning. But in general trends what Cy told me is consistent with most of the kills I have seen in my 56 years of killing game.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
All the same bullet?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by szihn

Kills with fast rounds like 270 with 130 grains, 30-06 with 150s grains 7MM mags with 140-150 grains, 300 mags with 150 and 165 grain and so on, usually drop game almost instantly about 90-95% of the time, but when you get to the last percentage, the ones that run..........they can and sometimes do run a long ways. The reason is the bullet caused it's one clotting and the brain is not cut off from blood pressure as fast as those that lost all the blood in the body cavity and on the ground.

But these observations are generalities, not immutable laws.

It seems that if the heart is wrecked by a high speed impact the blood pressure would then be zero, never mind clotting or any other mechanism.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
IME the bullet brand/type makes more of a difference then the caliber. I have shot most of my deer with a 243 and 30-06 using Corelokts. I've never had a bullet not pass through and the amount of blood seems about the same. My son shot a doe (low lung shot) with his 30-06 loaded with a 165gr Hornady flat base and the exit hole was huge but we didn't find blood for 60 yards. Then we found a lot of blood.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Probably the most impressive blood trail I ever saw was from a 45-70 with a 405 grain Remington on a mule deer doe at 60 yards. I had a doe tag for one of the Eastern Washington units and decided to try my luck with the Marlin that day. It was pretty cool and the ground was frosty. I happened on to several does about 60 yards away. They were kind of clustered except for one so took the shot at her since there was no chance of a pass through injuring another doe. At the shot, she spun and took off. Briefly. She made it about 30-40 yards and collapsed. The trail of blood between where she was standing and where she dropped looked like it was rolled on that frosty grass with a six inch paint roller.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've killed 'em with a 2 bladed broadhead and recurve bow, a .50 cal roundball, a .223 to a .300 WinMag and haven't really noticed much difference in blood trails. Shot placement matters more than caliber in my experience.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hookeye
Sometimes it looks like a red 3' stream of water from a garden hose!

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hookeye

LOL that is funny!

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
A sharp two bladed broad head put in the right spot makes the most impressive blood trail I’ve seen.

Last edited by JoeBob; 10/15/20.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Two holes leak more than one and exit holes bleed a lot more than entrance wounds. The specific bullet makes a lot more difference than the caliber.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Yes I do

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by JoeBob
A sharp two bladed broad head put in the right spot makes the most impressive blood trail I’ve seen.

I like the big old 3 blade Snuffers

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
With over 30 kills on Tennessee size deer with 243, I have never had a GOOD blood trial. Fortunately I seldom need one as most deer drop instantly or run very short distances. I am using 243 in open fields or very thin woods. If hunting fields with high brush or heavy timber around the field, I take the 270 or 7-08. The 270 produces more drop where they stand results.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
245 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 2UP, 10Glocks, 26 invisible), 1,687 guests, and 900 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,592
Posts18,397,932
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.