Print Thread
Hop To
H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I bought one of the Brownells sale 6MM CM barreled actions.I dropped it into a Vanguard stock.The barrel touches all the way around.Groups are about 1" to 1 1/2" with 112 grain Barnes bullets.Do you usually need to free float and bed these actions and barrels?Thanks ahead ,Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have the same package. Haven’t shot it yet. IIRC, MD says actions with the front screw threaded into the recoil lug may benefit from bedding the chamber area of the barrel, floating the rest. Shouldn’t have to worry about that beefy stock slapping against the barrel.

FWIW, my .243 Alpine and 6.5 Grendel Mini shoot better than you describe as-is. Maybe your load needs tweaking a bit. Hard to make assessments on a new rifle with just one load.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Huntz,

You don't say whether the Vanguard stock is wood, injection-molded or whatever. A lot depends on that.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have a griptonite plastic stock. What would you recommend with it? I read your older post that suggested bedding a bit under the chamber to prevent flexing when torquing the front action screw. Would adding pillars be of benefit as well? Sorry if this is a hijack. Hopefully the op has the same stock.....

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Pillars don't help all that much when the action-screw areas are solid material, whether wood or synthetic.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I picked up the same barrelled action and an injection molded vanguard stock and I'm in the same boat as huntz.

Mine is shooting about 1.5" groups, mainly because of flyers. I'm planning on trying a shim to float it and see if it settles down any

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Being 69 years old I remember when if you had a rifle that would shoot 1.5" group you would cherish it and go forth and kill game. Today we, and I include myself in that we, think that 1.5" is not nearly good enough and must tinker with the rifle because we just know it will do better.

My dad would be laughing at us for messing with a 1.5" rifle.

H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Huntz,

You don't say whether the Vanguard stock is wood, injection-molded or whatever. A lot depends on that.

It is the synthetic stock that Vanguards come with.I guess injected.I actually like it as it is very comfortable for me to shoot.

Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I called up WB,They said it will shoot better not floated.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
That's what they say about all their stocks--but my experience is most shoot better floated.

John Steinbeck
IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
My Weatherby ultra light Mark v ( same type of bedding system as Howa) shot decent with fore end pressure. It shot better free floated.

My vote is to free float.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
That's what they say about all their stocks--but my experience is most shoot better floated.
agreed.

Here is what I do. wrap at least three layers of electrical tape around the barrel starting about two inches from the action. Then glass bed the front action ring and recoil lug and the first two inches of the barrel. This should leave the entire barrel (except the first two inches) free floating once the electrical tape is removed. Take the gun to the range to see if accuracy has improved. Electrical tape is .006 thick.

I know MD believes this is not enough free floating clearance but it has worked quite well for me. If it fails to offer you significantly better accuracy merely remove the bedding material and you're back to where you started.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
So, I bedded the lug and couple inches of barrel under the chamber and floated the rest. Shooting federal premium target with bergers, I only got about 1.5 inch groups. Decided to try some Hornady 105 bthp. And this was the next 3 shots. It's only a 3 shot group I know. I used the next 2 to zero. I'm happy with it. Thanks for the advice Mule Deer!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 71 invisible), 2,480 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,315
Posts18,468,381
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.