Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
3 boxes of .310” round balls. Going to give them a trial in the Sneezer. Pigs are holding a support rally. Silly critters they are.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
WHAT??

This is blasphemy! Why dost thou not cast these wuddo balls?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'm pretty good at playing with my balls, but the Hornady version has no sprue, something I cannot accomplish with a mould. Further, I can only find one mould brand that makes balls that size, that being Lee. I don't enjoy aluminum moulds.

Please forgive me.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For thy contempt of Lee molds alone, thou art forgiven and 100% absolved. Load and shoot in peace, my son.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I've already worked up some loads, to include Lord Black. This is gonna be fun....

I am..........disturbed.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To confirm you remain on the straight and narrow, please post pics of results.

We are concerned for you.

Don't be the darkness.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
For what it's worth , I have been casting Lee rounds balls in various sizes for 50years. For my muzzle loader rifle , to shooting in my 38/357 , & 44 cal hand guns ( tons of fun ) , & shot shells. Not the slightest problem. In the ML & hand guns always load the sprue flat straight up or straight down. The game I have taken never knew they came from an aluminum mold.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I’m quite sure that some make Lee moulds drop copious amounts of good bullets and balls. I am however trapped in a world where aluminum has yet to find a home. I’ll make do somehow.

Quite some time ago I loaded balls (paper patched) in my .44 Mag. They shot quite well as singles and doubles until I wandered up near the 2,400 FPS realm. Dunno where it went, missed the target completely. Anyway, I figure to make a small game/plinker gimmick out of this. Pics will follow.

Wandered thru the Cast Boolets site recently and found it to be a common form of amusement. Surprised me a bit to see some impressive groups....mostly shot from .30-30 chambers. Guessing a couple of grains off800x or Bullseye will do the trick.

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I've already worked up some loads, to include Lord Black. This is gonna be fun....

NICE!

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
FEDEX just dropped off my new balls. laugh

They fit quite neatly in brass not sized after shooting some torpedoes. Domestic chores get the next few days off. grin

I am..........disturbed.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Why balls and not a light WC? Just curious.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
1. ‘Cause a WC is way too simple.
2. I’m curious about a replacement for the .22 BB caps for squirrel
3. All my other guns and loads are sufficiently accurate so as to bore me blind.
4. I like playing with my balls.

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
dan the ball man grin

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I am SMILING big time. Playing with my balls is gonna be lots of fun. grin

I couldn't stand the suspense so I put my looney hat on and went to work.

Balls are advertised as .310" diameter at 45 grains. They measured .311-.312" I was concerned about leading, but...they were a press fit into the case mouth w/o effort after I put a very, very minor flare in the mouth with a Lee Universal Case Expander, and wound up with the major diameter just a hair below the case mouth. grin

The cases were once fired Sneezer brass which by divine grace had a case mouth ID of .310" They chambered ok and did not riot when I installed a CCI 400 primer and 1.5 grains of Bullseye. Why Bullseye? Well, the short version is that I reviewed 4 powder burn rate charts and found they apparently had 2 authors. My choice of powders was Bullseye, 700X, WW231 and Red Dot. Each pair of charts indicated reverse order of burn rate. I wanted the fastest if only to minimize powder fouling.

Then I pulled out my Lyman load book and perused a bit. Turns out the .25 ACP data included a 35 grain bullet load that reinforced my suspicions. Scientific investigation is useful and that led me to pick 1.5 gr of Bullseye. You see, it was a max load for the ACP and while my balls are heavier the Sneezer case volume is much larger. Mr Teller would be impressed I'm sure.

So, charge in place, powder installed and I seated the balls with my calibrated thumb. I then placed a wee bit of SPG lube in the void between ball and the rim of the case mouth, ran them thru the crimp die only enough to remove the flare. Grabbed the chronograph and went up the hill to my range. I did not shoot targets, intent only to check velocity and see if they leaded.

Pop, pop, pop. Powder fouling was epic. Average velocity was 709 fps and the ES was 9. My balls vanished into the earth never to be seen again. Back to the shop, cleaned the barrel and much to my surprise and pleasure there was zero leading. Zilch, nada, zip. laugh

That done my next step will try a few different powders and a bit more charge for the Bullseye. I'm looking for about 1,000 fps. Targets will die. If it groups well I will put the suppressor on and work it out to the bitter end. I have lots of balls. -hint-

I am speculating here, but if any of you want to wager.....I'll be getting one hole groups of 5 at the 20 yd line before this ends. The squill are protesting already. I understood one of them to scream earlier that G. Soros was funding their cause.

I am..........disturbed.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
.310 Backyard Creedmoor.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Angus says:
He's got big balls,
She likes big balls, but who's got the biggest balls of them all...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
My other balls are .69 caliber.

BOOM!

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well, little bit of a teaser before tomorrow's shoot.

Loaded up 4 charges using Bullseye, Red Dot and 700X. Pic below shows the ball seating geometry in use prior to lube and "crimp".
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Lubed and crimped.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Report on the way tomorrow, with luck I won't blow up the gun.

DD

I am..........disturbed.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Dan,been playing with powder coating cast bullets lately.

Did some 400 grain for the 458 SOCOM as well as the 45-70,they shoot full power and don't have a mess of lube mixed with powder residue.

Did some for the 41 mag,357,9mm and the 380.

It is the shizzle.

Easy to do and don't cost much.You might try it for kicks.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I almost certainly will do that eventually, but maybe not for this project. I'm afraid it would make my balls to big, and I don't need the trouble right now. wink

I am..........disturbed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
569 members (219 Wasp, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,597
Posts18,398,204
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.