Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I am considering biting the bullet for a custom flintlock rifle. I have owned numerous T/C, Lyman and even RMC rifles. They all shoot Ok but I am just not 100% satisfied. I think it owe it to myself. Must be a lefty and prefer .54 cal with some special stock considerations. I am willing to wait for the right end product. Anyone have any gunsmith recommendations within reasonable driving distance of northwestern PA? Thanks, shoot straight and be well. DJB

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'd check with Jim Kibler. He's in Hanoverton, Ohio.

https://kiblerslongrifles.com/

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
2 questions for you Davelefty.

#1. How long are you willing to wait?
#2. what special considerations are you talking about?

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]100_1199 by .com/photos/156296479N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]100_1198 by .com/photos/156296479N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]Harold 11 by .com/photos/156296479N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]L H Hawken 3 &4 001 by .com/photos/156296479N08/]Steve Zihn, on [bleep]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A rifle like that is well worth the wait.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I was hoping the right rifle would be available in 12 months or less?
I'd prefer a stock with much less comb drop than my Lyman GPR and only a modest radius buttplate.
Thanks for the referral. DJB

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buddy of mine wants to sell this one. Shoot me a pm for info on how to get more pics and pricing. [Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
"Kit guns" and rifles made starting with a semi-inlet stock can be had or made in shorter times then fully custom guns. One made from a "piece of a tree" is always going to take longer, but with a fully custom gun you get your length of pull, your cast off, your drop at comb, your drop at heel, and your drop at toe. Options are almost unlimited.
Wood type and grade. Type of mounts in steel brass or silver. your choice of patch box, your choice of barrel length, contour, caliber, rifling, your choice of carving, engraving, inlay work and so on and so on.

With kit guns you get what you get for stock shape and dimension. Not that it's always bad. a LOT of very fine guns can and have been made from semi-inlet stocks. But before you jump, take the time to investigate the options.

One last note. Getting a top notch custom gun made in 1 year or less is probably unlikely. Sorry, but that just how the market is. I sure can't speak for all other custom builders, but I am all the way DOWN to 2-1/2 to 3 years from an 8 year long back-log, because I stopped taking on new work several years ago. But good builders are not common, and anyone who is a good builder has more work then he has time. 2-3 years of waiting time is quite common. If asking for a kit gun build many (myself included) can slip one in the line now and then, and get it built pretty fast. If you wanted to do your own finish work a "gun in the white" made from a kit can be done in only a few months. But carving, engraving and inlay work on a kit gun takes just as much time as it does on a 100% hand made gun. NOTE, if carving or inlay work is wanted GET A KIT WITH HARD WOOD! Give up figure for hardness if you need to. Carving soft wood never looks very crisp and doesn't hold up as well, and inlays in soft wood will not hold as well.

If you can find a LH semi-inlet stock that FITS you, many builders can and will put the gun together for you and that will get you a rifle to shoot a lot faster then a total 100% custom build.

Kebler's kits are top notch, but he doesn't do anything in LH.

Jim Chamber does his Isaac Haines and his Penn Fowler (can be had rifled) in LH with swamped barrels.

Track of the Wolf has LH kit guns in the Soughern Mountain, Straight barreled Golden Age, and Isaac Haines All with straight barrels but some can be done with swamped barrels too.

Pecatonica River offers LH gun kits in late Lancaster, A. Verner, fullstock Hawken,Tennessee classic, Tennessee Mountain Rifle, and Virginia rifle. All again with straight barrels but some with swamped. With Track and Pecatonica, you'll have to call them and ask about the details concerning barrel lengths, straight or swamped, calibers and so on.

One thing that is helpful it to know what your measurements are for all stock dimensions. In kits, it's safe to say you will get no cast off or almost no cast off. But for drop measurements, you can often get quite close to what fits you in a kit. Length of pull and drop at comb are the 2 most important ones. Drop at heel and drop at toe are not as critical.
I hope the info I typed here is helpful to you.

Happy hunting.

Last edited by szihn; 10/16/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Hawken wait was 12 months. Because that builder does not build for a living or the general public. He will only build a rifle for you if; 1.You are a good marksman and competitor. 2. He likes you. 3. He really wants to build the type of rifle you have in mind.

My Lancaster rifle; The builder is a good friend but I was on his waiting list for 5 years before my turn came up.

Was it worth the wait? Absolutely! No other way do I know to get a rifle built to fit you exactly how you want it. In the meantime I shot my kit guns and GPR. Once I shot the customs, the GPR was sold and the kit guns handed to my sons.

If you are in a hurry, shop for a used rifle. It wont be exactly what you want in all aspects but it will be higher quality than a factory produced product.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Look up Allen Martin in the Swengel PA.

I own two of his rifles. He is around a 2-2.5 year wait I think. It’s worth it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Allan Martin is one of the best. Another in Pennsylvania is Bill Shipman.
If you were to get a rifle from either of them you would not be disappointed.

If you have questions feel free to PM me and we'll talk.
I have been building muzzleloaders as my main way to earn my living for over 30 years, so I may be able to give you some good advise.

Last edited by szihn; 10/17/20.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Mark Wheland is also in Central PA and is a very well known builder who makes some amazing guns.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Thank you

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Normally, I would recommend waiting until February and traveling to Lewisburg PA for the 18th Century Artisans' Show, but I'm not sure if that's a thing this coming year.

That show is a great opportunity to meet and talked to builders and see and handle their guns.

But....again...not sure if it's occurring.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

703 members (007FJ, 163dm, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 3,137 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,579
Posts18,454,096
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.