-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My Browning Gold hits to the right about 6" and I am wondering which direction I need to cast the stock?

I did find some shims that will work on-line but I need to know whether to bring the stock towards me or away.

Thanks in advance.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Usually cast-on (looking down the gun from above the stock will be bent toward your face) will correct shooting to the right. Your face goes too far over the stock and bending it to your face will fix that. Shims cut from old credit card stock can be installed and tested. It is easy with a laser bore sighter. Cast on will also reduce felt recoil significantly.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Same as a rifle...move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to go....your eye is the rear sight on a shotgun....your head position on the stock needs to be moved left..

If you pattern for POI at 16 yards...A tight choke at 16 yards for POI is your friend.... 1/16 change on the stock will move the pattern approximately 1 inch on the paper..

Cast will move it some, however 6 inches is a lot to ask of cast. The shim suggestion is a good one.

Shims are sometimes marked DX or SX. DX is right , SX is left. You want to move left....fat side on the right....

Last edited by battue; 10/15/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Shooting 6" right at 40 yards with turkey loads and any tight turkey tube.

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/15/20.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by battue
Same as a rifle...move the rear sight in the direction you want the bullet to go....your eye is the rear sight on a shotgun....your head position on the stock needs to be moved left..

If you pattern for POI at 16 yards...A tight choke at 16 yards for POI is your friend.... 1/16 change on the stock will move the pattern approximately 1 inch on the paper..

Cast will move it some, however 6 inches is a lot to ask of cast. The shim suggestion is a good one.

Shims are sometimes marked DX or SX. DX is right , SX is left. You want to move left....fat side on the right....

Yup, I saw that backwards. Thanks for the correction!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Something like this is an inexpensive fix. They come in varying thicknesses and can help bring the impact into alignment with where you are looking. I've used them on a couple of guns that were cast too much for right handed shooters. Being left handed, a lot of the older doubles are hard to shoot well due to being cast for a right handed shooter. I had a Thomas Bland 12 bore that was a wand but cast so much it shot a foot right at 25 yards. Great on left to right crossing birds.

cheek pad

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue

Thought you were anti-patterning guy?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And you would be correctđź‘Ť....however this discussion has to do with POI not being in line with POA.

You can have a great paper pattern, if one thinks that essential, but if it doesn't go where one looks, it is useless. For that reason I will pattern to see where it lands, without worrying about what it looks like. Capish????

Addition....and it most often will be done on clays and not paper. Center punch clay breaks tell me more than holes on paper.đź‘Ť

Addition 2: This year I’m using a new to me SxS..80 some years old, but new to me....supposedly M/M and I “patterned” it on going away 20 yard clays and it inkballed them...so it is probably M/M..stocked a little lower than I would like....but it is killing Grouse.... nor is Mod supposed to be an ideal choice for Grouse....but it works..I’m not going to put it on paper, for a couple reasons.

Last edited by battue; 10/15/20.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Since you have tried different chokes and the results are the same try the shims and let us know how you make out. Does anyone know if shims from an SX3 would fit a gold?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The credit card shim suggestion is a good one....Also, if a wood stock, a careful hand can sand on the left side were it meets the receiver and move the POI. Credit card is the better first choice.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by saskfox
Since you have tried different chokes and the results are the same try the shims and let us know how you make out. Does anyone know if shims from an SX3 would fit a gold?

The SX2 and SX 3 shims are the same as a Gold.

I am going to order one for about $8 & see how it helps.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Fixed or screw-in chokes?

I recently had an SKB/Miroku 28 ga SxS that shot way to the right from the right barrel with a screw-in Briley choke. Replaced it with the stock flush mounted internal choke and it shot to the point of aim.

Just sayin....

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
Fixed or screw-in chokes?

I recently had an SKB/Miroku 28 ga SxS that shot way to the right from the right barrel with a screw-in Briley choke. Replaced it with the stock flush mounted internal choke and it shot to the point of aim.

Just sayin....

Screw in. Same POI with several different chokes.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Many many years ago when I was young and broke I put a barrel in the fork of a tree and corrected the problem that way.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hopefully the shims solve the problem. If not Briley makes eccentric chokes. I have never used them.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'm not sure a shim will move it 6 inches, that's a lot. It takes .125 to move POI 4 inches at 40 yards. You could always do an adjustable comb.

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jstevens
I'm not sure a shim will move it 6 inches, that's a lot. It takes .125 to move POI 4 inches at 40 yards. You could always do an adjustable comb.

If I can get 4" out of it I will be happy.

Shims came in but stocks are being dipped and will be a bit before I am able to stick it back together and check it out.

I don't like to pattern in cold weather so may be spring before I get it out

Last edited by 10gaugemag; 10/24/20.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Perhaps a better response for the campfire board, but if you were to fabricate a shim out of a discarded Biden sign (or pick another) it will shoot much further to the left than otherwise, thus correcting the issue entirely.

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I would rather take an ass whippin that have anything associated with the Left mounted on my gun.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (1234, 10ring1, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 17CalFan, 55 invisible), 2,564 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,501
Posts18,452,509
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.