Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by BALLISTIK
Supposedly the inflation of $90 in 1943 to 2020 would be $1,354.06 at 1404.5%. Pretty cool piece nonetheless, and I wonder what percentage of people actually had a personal time piece back then. I've had a watch ever since I was 6 y/o, but I don't think I've ever spent more than $300 for one.

Of course I don't know about the general public, but the Southern Pacific required their employees to have a watch of the railroad's specifications as a condition of employment. There also were requirements that the watch would be regularly maintained, cleaning, oiling and adjusting, by a qualified watchmaker at specified intervals. If Fat City will examine the inside of the back screw cover, he will see the watchmaker's tiny inscriptions, usually initials, date and maybe a symbol for work done, like clean, oil, adjust etc.
My Dad's Hamilton railway special was purchased by him, in 1941, from a jeweler in Dunsmuir CA. He was not an SP employee, but a contractor who coordinated livestock shipments from the Mountain Division to slaughterhouses in the Sacramento Valley during the war. The volume of freight during the war was stunning, and the railroad had priorities, generally expressed as "bullets then beef then brawn" or ammo trains, perishable food trains, then passenger trains. Imagine a people, a country, as it was then, united totally against a common enemy, compared to now.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
We got my great grandfathers pocket watch appraised this year. It was handed down, and since I am not a pocket watch guy it sat in the safe. Finally took it to a jeweler who specializes in pocket watches etc. It was a solid gold watch. Don’t ask me the manufacturer because I don’t remember off the top of my head. But it did appraise at 17k which I thought was crazy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Neat, I wish that I knew what happened to grandpa’s railroad watch? Grandpa Bill worked for the North Western Railroad from 1887-1939 and drove the Leona Way Freight locomotive the last 25 years and probably hauled out lots of the big white pine during the logging area. They didn’t have good communication back in those days, so everything had to be by the book and on time or there was another train on your same track. Your pocket watch had better be synchronized with everyone else’s because your life and the lives of your train crew depended on it. I wish that I’d have been able to talk to that guy because I’ll bet he had some stories.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Now isnt this much better than a bunch of Political Crap 24/7.

Great Info folks thanks for contributing.

As flintlocke stated above this is a Rail Company approved and regularly certified time keeping device.

As I pointed out in the opening post there are certification inspection engravings on the inside of the back cover. Six specifically that I found. Its my understanding that engraved inscription codes were only made if the watch had any significant adjustments and or repair so other watchmakers had a permanent history.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Great thread Fats, but if I may wander off topic for a minute...are there any daily pocketwatch carriers out there? I bought 4 Westclox 'Scotty's" when the local hardware went belly up a few years back and the last one is showing signs of heart arrhithmya. Been prowling ebay but that's a crap shoot. Perfect world for me, small stem winder, a second hand, see in the dark hands, and more important than anything..a face flip open cover. Any suggestions? I'm probably the last old fool in the world that packs a pocket watch.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fats,

love the thread and the subject thereof. Thanks for sharing some of your family's history. Hope that gets passed down to future members of your lineage.

flintlocke, I carried a pocketwatch for years, starting way back around high school or so. Would always forget to take off wrist watch at bedtime and was constantly smashing crystals on bedposts or walls. I think I might even still have the first one I got..................from Monkey Ward's no less! No longer functional as I recall. Have had wristwatches I carried in pockets also.

Haven't worn or carried a watch for years now. Used to rely on the clock on the dashboard or wherever there was one handy. Sometimes pissed people off asking, was told many times to "Buy a watch azzhat".

Now that I'm retired I would have no use except the rest of the world seems to think knowing the exact time is something important. smirk

Time is a human construct and as such is not perfect and I have little need for it most days. Sleep when tired, wake when I need to, eat when hungry.

I do need to know the time for programming the DVR for HOCKEY games though grin

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Max cool points.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Great photos of a beautiful momento. I would love to have something like that.

I carried a pocket watch for about 5 years, when I was in high school. I just had a cheapo but I always liked 'em.

"My Grandfather's Clock" by Johnny Cash

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0o8A4RccUY

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
My wife hauled home a bunch of my Father in Law's stuff after he passed away. He was a POW from the Polish military during WW2. I have no idea how he came by it. But I found one of these in a box of his belongings. It still keeps perfect time.

https://www.hushhush.com/watches/iw...bachtungsuhr-der-deutschen-kriegsmarine/

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks gents.

Great seeing all the wonderful watches and family mementos.

Geno its all a part of a cache I'm putting together for my daughters.

Working hard not to forget the Faces of my Fathers.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have dads elgin, brother tells me he paid 3 bucks in a oawn shop, a 24 hour military with radium dial(i dropped it and it is broken shaft) and a ESI from Target with 17 jewel Swiss movement not the quartz things sold now.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have dads elgin, brother tells me he paid 3 bucks in a oawn shop in about 41, a 24 hour military with radium dial(i dropped it and it is broken shaft) and a ESI from Target with 17 jewel Swiss movement not the quartz things sold now.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
While it wasn't given to any family member, this watch has been in the family for many decades. Story goes a family member bought it from a store and that it was from a retired railroad executive. The movements are Elgin, I don't remember how many jewels, and the case is 18k. The face of the watch is porcelain with gold and jewels on it. It measures about 2 1/4" in diameter and about 5/8" thick and dates to 1873 and there is no name engraved in it that I can see. Neat old piece of history that I get to hold onto for a while.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com] [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by DeanAnderson; 10/16/20.

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nope flintlocke, not the only one. L carry one my wife bought me several years ago. I don't know who actually makes them, but it is branded Montana Silversmiths.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Very nice folks.

"Maybe we're all happy."

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
My grandfather gave me his Elgin watch in ‘70. I researched it a few years ago and it was made in 1920. It’s always kept good time. I believe it’s a “railroad “ watch IIRC. It also has the little lever that pulls out to set it.

I also have his S&W 32/20 made about the same time according to Roy Jinks of S&W. He had become a fairly prominent attorney with some extra money for the watch and handgun for protection.

Dean A. That is a beautiful face on that watch. I noticed how intricate the minute and hour hands are. It almost looks like there are four tiny sapphires around the outer edge too.

Last edited by navlav8r; 10/16/20.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Thanks, very nice.

I carried a pocket watch for many years. I work in a food manufacturing facility where wrist watches are forbidden. So, I used a pocket watch until cell phones came along and gave me a clock in my pocket.

I never paid more than $100 for any of mine, so they were not a fine piece by any means.

Now that the company has banned cell phones on the floor, I need to start shopping for a pocket watch again.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

241 members (338rcm, 12344mag, 1OntarioJim, 160user, 300jimmy, 2UP, 26 invisible), 1,704 guests, and 898 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,610
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.