Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Hi All:

Figured this was the great place to look for a mauser gunsmith, I have several mauser's but I have two that I recently acquired that need what i would call "fit and finish" work to the actions. Thanks in advance.

I am in MN so these most likely will be shipped.

Thanks!

Capt. John
www.autumnwings.com
www.txduckhunts.com - "The Home of Quack and Squeal Hunts"
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Jim Kobe is near you.

The way life should be.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for info, talked to him, I have some stuff headed his way but he did not want to take on the one that I have "feeding" problems with. Still in the ,market!

Capt. John
www.autumnwings.com
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Ahlman's gun shop is in Minnesota.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Ok I will check with them, thanks

Capt. John
www.autumnwings.com
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Dennis Olson in Plains MT can make anything you want happen in a Mauser.

The way life should be.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
That's not the first time I seen Mr. Olson recommend on this site, heard he's pretty good.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks Guys, I will check with him.

Capt. John
www.autumnwings.com
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If Jim Kobe doesn't want to tackle it, contact Tom Jackson (Davenport, Iowa). He posts as dpcd on the AR site. He did an outstanding job on a 1909 Argentine I asked him to rework.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by captjohn
Thanks Guys, I will check with him.

Tell me again about the feed problem

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Jim,

Start with a shell in the box, when the bolt comes forward and the shell starts uo into the bolt face it does not go completely up into the face smoothly, the rim goes 3/4 of the way into the face and stops and as you push forward you not in alignment to enter into the chamber, so my blacksmitth gunsmith idea is either the bolt face/extractor need a tune up or the shell is not coming out the feed rails like it should, the shell is about a inch from being in the chamber when the alignment issue stops progress. Manually with the bolt out you can put a case behind the extractor and lock it in, it has been widened but there is something not meshing up.

Capt. John
www.autumnwings.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Magazine spring too weak?

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
captjohn, you might have an incorrect follower on the one which does not feed. Try Putting two cartridges in the magazine. If the first one feed and the second does not, I would suspect the magazine follower.....which could be either the incorrect follower or an altered one.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
thanks i will give that a try.

Capt. John
www.autumnwings.com
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Before you get too excited, 1. what is the current chambering? 2. are they milsurp actions, if so what was the original military chambering? 3. refer to a reliable! (original specs were for a .470" rim dia in the 7.92x57 IS, manufacturers have changed it to .473", Wiki is not your friend) source for cartridge rim dimensions, compare original with current chambering 4. measure your brass to ensure it is correct, do not trust the manufacturer, particularly if it is S&B who does not cut the extractor cut deep enough on their brass in many cartridges 5. check and see if your bolt is numbered to your receiver, do not assume the bolt matches the receiver 6. aftermarket extractors frequently are the problem 7. bend the extractor in between the rear and the collar, which moves the claw away from the boltface guide boss and test feeding with a properly dimensioned cartridge
Do not remove any metal from the bolt face guide boss or feed rails until you know for certain where the problem lies.
Most '98's will feed .473" brass easily, occasionally you will find an action made in the '20's or '30's that was made so precise that it will not accept the increased rim dia.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
aagaardsport - tried what you suggested no change.

Flintlocke - chambering is 308 norma magnum, the bolt face and extractor have been worked on to accept the rim diameter, manually you can put the shell behind the extractor it just will not go completely behind the extractor and match the bolt face as the bolt comes forward, it goes about 3/4 of the way up into the bolt face and ends there thus shell is not in line with the chamber.

Capt. John
www.autumnwings.com
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
Oh Jeez, waaay above my pay grade. The great .308 Norma was designed by Kvale so that it would fit in the '98, so we know it will work, if the boltface and claw was properly modified. You're right, you need a Mauser guy. Ain't gonna solve this one with a keyboard.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Agreed, a member on the board here is gonna take a peek at it when i get a chance ot run it down to him, I am sure i bought a "work in progress" probabaly was for sale for a reason. LOL

Capt. John
www.autumnwings.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by captjohn
Ok I will check with them, thanks

I'm from Prior Lake originally, now living in Brainerd. I've had several projects done down at Ahlman's and they don't disappoint. Really nice shop too. If you've got the time, it's well worth the road trip.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cattledog
That's not the first time I seen Mr. Olson recommend on this site, heard he's pretty good.

He's a lot more than just pretty good.......................

MM

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1eyedmule, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 52 invisible), 2,699 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,568
Posts18,453,813
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.